ICL, IPL...May You Die A Quick Death

Dhondy

There is no comparison on football basis, football is played (90 min) in clubs and verses country. They are granddaddy in the age. ICL/IPL is Indian venture catering to 20/20 tourney. As an Indian we hardly invest in concept and product rather will like to follow. So yes I’m big favor of success of this tournament what ever good/bad comes out but I’m sure it will create more jobs and Indian brand.

It is hard to see IPL work in this busy ICC calender. Going by how players are clamoring for IPL like matches, we might see the end of ICC or ICC will also adopt a league. How many times would one want to watch Aus plundering teams like NZ, Eng, SA, Pak, SL, WI, BD and Zim into submission. Is there a point to such matches any more where we know the result of the game prior to the match? I think people will give their top dollars to see Tendulkar in the same team as McWarne!

Guest dada_rocks
Evolution..it does infect anything and everything. It may not make sense now' date=' but in future players might prefer ICL, IPL cricket even in longer formats and we might have soccer like national team tournment only once in 4 yrs. Why not, club soccer is pretty popular. Club cricket might be too.[/quote'] Yes older folks always crib about change.. not that i am insiunating Dhondy is dadaji or anything like that:hysterical:

Guest dada_rocks

Adding my two bits in quality/quantityt debate.. exactly this is what they said when one day cricket was first played.. In long run one day cricket helped test cricket you get to see more stroke-makers in test cricket, runs come at faster clips.. hardly any boring draws gets played.. 20/20 will do sthg similar to one day cricket I believe..

Guest dada_rocks

Club loyalty is going to get deeper in furture.. U see the signs for it are there already.. Why else do u think pan-indian politics is losing sheen and regional politics is at the forefront.. sub-nationaslism is in vogue.. sports is bound to follow suit this under-current of local lyalty

I share your sentiments Dhondy. I too want IPL and ICL to fizzle out. Nothing should replace international cricket. Nothing stirs up passion quite like the way international games do in Cricket. However, what Lurker is saying is true. Cricket, like any other major sport, is a business. It needs to be a profitable exercise. Apart from Australia, England and India, test match attendances are dwindling. The money just isn't pouring in. This IPL/ICL circus promises to be a mega money generator. Can you believe than Sony is offering a 30 second ad slot during IPL games for $16,500?!! That is crazy money. But I am hopeful. I hope that the common fans, people who buy tickets for these games, watch it on TV, give it a thumbs down after realising that these games didn't really excite them or stir their emotions quite like their beloved Indian Cricket Team did. International Cricket survived the Packer era, hope it survives this tidal wave.
Epic Phail Gambit :(( :whack:

IPL will not die in any circumstances .. there is already a 8200 crore contract for 10 years with Sony .. from next year IPL will be held in India and 8200 crores will be more than enough to mainain the league in India even if anything else dies .. anyways BCCI has enough cash to run the IPL almost without any for a year or so if required