The absence of Ganguly

bharat297

This is not a thread calling for his re-inclusion or one supporting his exclusion, however I would like people to remember that all India's big scores in recent history have been built around a steady opening stand. The absence of Ganguly has meant that our most consistent opening partnership in recent history is no longer there. Since we are playing people like Munaf Patel, I feel Ganguly in the field is not as big of a liability, however, his contribution with the bat was a huge advantage. Not to mention the fact that he could bowl a bit. Even though he scored at 70 SR, when he and sachin played the RR was usually around 4 - 4.5 per over for the first 20 overs, and more often than not we would be only a few wickets down. Then the power hitters in the middle order would have a platform to launch from. I feel Ganguly's contribution was always overlooked (btw, this is not something new as I had been defending him last year too). However, this is not a call for his re-inclusion as I feel Gambhir has the potential to be a good opener (I still have reservations over his technique) and it is important to develop the next generation of ODI openers too. Gambhir, Sehwag, Uthappa are our next generation, and they have a stalwart like Sachin to guide the way.

look mate.. i am a ganguly fan too.. what i want you to understand is that we need to give this Young lot, a bit of time.. guzy like Rohit and co. have been involved in good p'ships alredy.. and as the time progress they will start contributing during our Big Run chase gamez too and also help in play a big role to score 300+ its all about giving time.. rome wasn't built in a day mate

why to read.. when i alredy read.. ur topic demanded a reply.. and its better that a reply was posted
No because you said I need to understand that this young lot need to be given time, which is also what I said in the last paragraph of the OP. So I just found it strange that you said I need to understand something which I already said anyway.
look mate.. i am a ganguly fan too.. what i want you to understand is that we need to give this Young lot, a bit of time.. guzy like Rohit and co. have been involved in good p'ships alredy.. and as the time progress they will start contributing during our Big Run chase gamez too and also help in play a big role to score 300+ its all about giving time.. rome wasn't built in a day mate
This is not a 300 chase Tics. Chasing 200 in 50 overs does not need Rome to be built. This is a modest chase, and stupid shots just ruined it.