Classic Movies Thread -> 1920s to 1960s

zen

A couple of movies by Powell and Pressburger that can hypnotise the viewers .... The photography by Cardiff and music by Easdale are magical too .... Technicolor was a new technology back then (and not many films were shot in color), where films makers had to probably think about how to use colors effectively.  It is good to see that the filmmakers have brought the best out of it 

* Black Narcissus 

* Red Shoes 

1GGBmkMqFTNQpPngTALkhW66O6cKMi_large.jpg

aZoMem6iPcKUSkCDO0g26e1bKiwA8y_large.jpg

Edited by zen

saw this 1940s film called "Come Live With Me" directed by the fairly well-known Clarence Brown. By no means a great movie, but it's a pleasant and charming old-school romantic comedy. James Stewart did a fine job, and Hedy Lamarr was breathtaking; I consider Lamarr to be the best looking Hollywood actress I've seen (when she was at her peak).

3 hours ago, jf1gp_1 said:

So basically 4 decades didnt produce a single Indian movie worth putting in the list ?

there are quite a few. ray, ghatak, and co were directing in the 1950s onwards. also the likes of bimal roy, chetan anand, v shantaram, etc. even in 1920s, the likes of prem sanyash are pretty good.

12 hours ago, Vijy said:

saw this 1940s film called "Come Live With Me" directed by the fairly well-known Clarence Brown. By no means a great movie, but it's a pleasant and charming old-school romantic comedy. James Stewart did a fine job, and Hedy Lamarr was breathtaking; I consider Lamarr to be the best looking Hollywood actress I've seen (when she was at her peak).

Hedy Lamarr... She is considered as one of the inventors of frequency hopping spread spectrum ( 3g CDMA in very basic terms)

2 minutes ago, diga said:

Hedy Lamarr... She is considered as one of the inventors of frequency hopping spread spectrum ( 3g CDMA in very basic terms)

yes, although the full story has many fascinating twists and turns.