India request match referee to speak to Australians

beetle

>>>Does it matter if Symonds said something? Sledging is not against the games rules. It has been a part of cricket since the game began. Which raises the question, why can't these Indians just learn to control themselves? They don't need to be saints, just behave like every other cricketer playing the game is expected to do. You mean take it and carry on like the non aussie teams have been doing for years? Well ..there is news for you mister.Those days are over. And you aussies better get ready for it! -------------------------------------------------------------- Good post bharat. ----------------------------------------------------------- Waisay it was good that Ishant got fined. But symonds deserved a bigger fine . Not only does it look like he was the instigator....he was also the senior of the two and hence expected to act better.

No. Verbals are fine' date=' (as long as they aren't racist..) gestures such as the one yesterday are worth a fine. That's my view, and that's what is written in the rules of cricket.[/quote'] So every time a batsman is out you can give them verbal send offs. Crciket is going to be great if we follow these rules:omg: No wonder there is all this turmoil as the aussie team has the same aggro attitude as you.
Now don't make me laugh. Did Symonds need to take it upon himself after Bhajji patted Lee on his back in the Sydney test last month? Why could he not control himself? And then who went crying to the match referee in that test, without even understanding what was said to them? And the biasness of the ICC match referee was there for the whole world after that test to see and which team turned into a laughing stock after judge Hansen gave his verdict!! Australians have proved themselves to be the biggest whingers this series!
Did Symonds need to? No. Was he acting outside of the rules? No. Why can't the Indians just ignore what is said? The whole point of sledging is to get a reaction, and the Indians seem to fall for it every time!! Hansen said there was not enough evidence to find Harbhajan guilty. He did not say that it never happened. I myself find it very hard to believe that the Australian players on the field would have reacted as they did if Harbhajan had not said what was claimed. Oh but that's right, it was a conspiracy by the Australians!! Of course!!

No response to bharat's post. :laugh:

* West Indies in 2003 - Aussies complained about Sarwan's sledging of McGrath.
Bharat, don't forget the Aussies reporting Jermaine Lawson after he destroyed them with a 5fer on that same tour. As most here know already, Australia was my second favourite team and I absolutely loved the way they played(especially under SRW). But post Sydney and given Punter's and Symond's behaviour, I seriously detest this team.

An Aussie accusing Indian team to be whinger. Now that must be joke of this century. remember what Hayden Martyn did after losing at Wankhede? Or you want me to remind you? Aussie team has lost all the respect that they had. If they continue doing so, they will never have fan support outside Australia. Ishant is 19 year kid, give me a break, playing his first season. Symo who is veteran instigates him, what do you want him to do, ignore?

Australia's coach Tim Nielsen says India should stop worrying about Australia's behaviour and focus on their own performance as they try to secure a spot against the hosts in the CB Series finals. More... Brydon Coverdale February 25, 2008 339738.jpgThe Australians are the only ones into the CB Series finals at this stage and their coach Tim Nielsen believes their opponents should focus on their own backyard © Getty Images Australia's coach Tim Nielsen says India should stop concerning themselves with Australia's behaviour and focus on their own performance as they try to secure a spot against the hosts in the CB Series finals. Following a controversial Test series there was further tension between the teams in their Sydney clash on Sunday when Ishant Sharma gave Andrew Symonds a send-off after dismissing him for 59. Ishant was fined 15% of his match fee for the incident and India's team management has sent a letter to the match referee about what it considers to be Australia's players provoking their opponents. Nielsen said he had no problem with the way his players were acting on the field. "It's interesting how much the opposition teams are talking about what we're doing and at the moment as far as I can see we're the only team that's in the finals," Nielsen said in Melbourne as the team gathered ahead of Tuesday's Allan Border Medal. "It might be time for them to start looking in their own backyard. "While they're worrying about us it's a good sign. We're the only ones at the moment that are confirmed in the finals and until they have their battle on Tuesday then front up on Friday, Sri Lanka against us, we won't know who our opposition is. So they've got plenty to worry about themselves." Nielsen said Ishant's actions - he pointed Symonds back to the dressing-room - were understandable given the pressure of the situation and he hopes India retain their fiery, spirited style of play. However, he wants players from both teams to ensure they do not cross the line if they meet in the finals; India will secure a place in the deciders if they beat Sri Lanka in Hobart on Tuesday. "It's a difficult one because there is so much emotion going on," Nielsen said. "[ishant] was under pressure, Andrew was batting so well with Ricky [Ponting] that it's hard to take the adrenaline and emotion of the game at this level. "We want to play good, strong competitive cricket and we encourage them to keep doing it. We'll do it as long as we all stay within the guidelines of it. You can't start taking into account it's been a tough, hard series and then give people some leeway because of it. We know where the line in the sand is."
neilsen raises a pretty good point.. sudden death match coming up yet a lot of their focus is on the australians. provoked or unprovoked, send offs like that are a bit excessive. sure, celebrate the wicket.. sreesanth showed passion when he removed symonds in india.. ishant went overboard. verbal sprays happen all the time in cricket. its up to the individual not to react to it. sledging has happened in the past and will continue to happen. if an australian bowler clapped a batsman off, and gave him a send off whether provoked or not, i would expect them to be fined. nothing wrong with a few words in my opinion. ishant could have ignored it, but chose not to. and chose wrong.

>>>if an australian bowler clapped a batsman off, and gave him a send off whether provoked or not, i would expect them to be fined. nothing wrong with a few words in my opinion No you wouldn't. Then it would be banter...it is agressive send off only if it is against the aussies.

No. Verbals are fine' date= (as long as they aren't racist..) ........ That's my view, and that's what is written in the rules of cricket.
No, thats your view only. The Code of Conduct clearly specifies in Level 1.4: Using language that is obscene, offensive or insulting and/or the making of an obscene gesture And this one includes swearing and obscene gestures which are not directed at another person such as swearing in frustration at one’s own poor play or fortune. Those that are directed towards another person is considered a level 2 offense: 2.8 Using language that is obscene, offensive or of a seriously insulting nature to another Player, umpire, Referee, Team Official or spectator. Which could lead to a fine of the equivalent of between 50% of the Player or Official’s match fee up to their full match fee and/or a 1 Test Match or 2 ODI Match ban. So, All verbals that aren't racist is not fine with ICC. Of course, we don't know what words where exchanged, but knowing Symonds I don't think it would be any kind ones. Whether he was fined or not is a secondary question, but the fact that he wasn't even pulled up to explain what he spoke is unacceptable. And FYI, the referee was right is fining Ishant, but his decision to not even inquire Symonds was not. And In that previous case there was clear evidence that Symonds had used abusive language in the during the monkey row. From Justice John Hansen's DECISION:
Statement of Agreed Facts During the 116th over on Day 3 of the Sydney Test, Harbhajan Singh made friendly contact with Brett Lee. At the end of the over while the umpires were changing ends and the fields was crossing over to their new positions, Andrew Symonds approached Harbhajan Singh and told him that he had no friends amongst the Australians (he admits he used the word ‘fcuk’ or a derivation thereof).
Yet, Symonds went free, why?

how about people take responsibility for their own actions ? you all make it sound sharma didnt have a choice. you would all be praising him if he ignored it. i can picture it already.. "did you see ishant ignore symonds sledging ? wow showing maturity beyond his years !!! what a star !! i love him !!" instead you praise him for reacting in a manner which warranted action from the match referee. this is the same india that told australia to play within the spirit of the game right ? practice what you preach p.s. dont retort back with what australia got away with in the past and go tit for tat with player misbehaviour from the past. everyone is aware of it from both sides. its become extremely tiring. deal with the issue at hand. what ever way you look at it, sharma did the wrong thing. sharma is young yes.. he'll learn.

>>>if an australian bowler clapped a batsman off, and gave him a send off whether provoked or not, i would expect them to be fined. nothing wrong with a few words in my opinion No you wouldn't. Then it would be banter...it is agressive send off only if it is against the aussies.
dude, brett lee was fined for a send off a few years ago. pointed to the changerooms. we accepted it and moved on. look at brett lee now. and dont tell me what i would/would not do. stop making assumptions.
dude, brett lee was fined for a send off a few years ago. pointed to the changerooms. we accepted it and moved on. look at brett lee now. and dont tell me what i would/would not do. stop making assumptions.
oh wow once an aussie has been fined, i guess that makes it OK for all the times they've gotten away with it
neilsen raises a pretty good point.. sudden death match coming up yet a lot of their focus is on the australians.
No, he raises a pretty nonsensical point. He is no one to advice what India and SL should do. India only complained about the Aussie provocative behavior, it was a valid point to raise at that time as one of their players was just fined in a spat that ensued. Just because there is an important match coming up, they can't raise this one year latter and make themselves look like fools. These things have to come up then and there. Neilsen's point is a non sequitur, it doesn't logically follow that a team must be in finals before they could talk about Aussie behavior, neither does it vindicate Aussie behavior
provoked or unprovoked, send offs like that are a bit excessive. sure, celebrate the wicket.. sreesanth showed passion when he removed symonds in india.. ishant went overboard
. We agree with Ishant being fined. And regarding Sreesanth, if you could see the visuals, Sree just says yes! yes! And symonds starts to sledge immediately as Sreesanth opens his mouth to say yes!
verbal sprays happen all the time in cricket. its up to the individual not to react to it. sledging has happened in the past and will continue to happen.
But it should not be abusive.
if an australian bowler clapped a batsman off, and gave him a send off whether provoked or not, i would expect them to be fined. nothing wrong with a few words in my opinion. ishant could have ignored it, but chose not to. and chose wrong.
But according to ICC rules they are, why wasn't symonds questioned on what he said? And Ishant was punished - fair enough. But Symonds, gets a clean **** even without an hearing - not fair!

The Aussies have been real drama queens this summer...the reporting of Harbhajan was totally out of character for them...now this pointing drama...geee, the umpires are handling them like they were babies or something. Maybe times have changed...but in the past, Aussies certainly didn't hold back in telling, both verbally and physically showing you where to go when they dismissed you in heat. Perhaps this is the new wave and culture. By the book, all the way and with the umpires. So be it. Indians, cop the fines or learn the rule book and observe the rules to the letter...and do unto them as they do unto you...bring to the umpires attention any issues as they happen and don't let it pass and simmer in the background as a contentious issue. End of story.

We agree with Ishant being fined. And regarding Sreesanth, if you could see the visuals, Sree just says yes! yes! And symonds starts to sledge immediately as Sreesanth opens his mouth to say yes!
but symonds was provoked ! sreesanth was in his face.. you know the deal right ?! how do we know it was abusive ? did you get the stump microphone recording did you ? could have said look at the scoreboard for all we know ?
how about people take responsibility for their own actions ?
How about reading the numerous posts that say, they are fine with ishant being penalized? We are only not happy with Symonds being let off.
you all make it sound sharma didnt have a choice. you would all be praising him if he ignored it. i can picture it already.. "did you see ishant ignore symonds sledging ? wow showing maturity beyond his years !!! what a star !! i love him !!"
The choice was his, though certain issues a offensive, Symonds deserved it. But, unfortunately that is an offense and Ishant has to pay for it - fair enough. Regarding praising Ishant, he deserved one had he managed to stay calm but he didn't.
instead you praise him for reacting in a manner which warranted action from the match referee. this is the same india that told australia to play within the spirit of the game right ?
No one is praising him, there is a difference in saying Symonds deserved it and praising Ishant.
what ever way you look at it, sharma did the wrong thing.
But there is possibly no way Symonds did the wrong thing?