Steyn: SA's future strike bowler ? (100 wickets in 20th match)

Pace ace Steyn is doing great things Dale Steyn has had a phenomenal Test career.And he continues to torment opposing batsmen withsheer pace and aggression, writes Iqbal Khan. More... Pace ace Steyn is doing great things Iqbal Khan March 03 2008 at 08:27AM Dale Steyn has had a phenomenal Test career. And he continues to torment opposing batsmen with sheer pace, grit and aggression. Though he has yet to play the likes of England and Australia, the 20-year-old Steyn, who became the fastest South African to a 100 wickets in just 20 Tests on Saturday when he took the wicket of Zunaed Siddique in the Bangladesh first innings, is the man of the moment. The previous fastest were Hugh Tayfield and Allan Donald (both 22 Tests), followed by Peter Pollock (24), Neil Adcock (25), Shaun Pollock (26) and Andre Nel (28). And in the process he also reached another milestone in his short career - 250 career wickets. The delight on the face of the young Titans quick bowler told the story. He was ecstatic and could hardly express his delight at becoming the fastest South African to the 100-wicket mark. "I didn't think too much of it, even though my teammates surrounded me. They started congratulating me on my achievement," he said. "But it only sank in after a while especially after I had supper with some of the guys when we got back to the hotel later that evening." After taking 13 Tests for his first 51 wickets, he has taken the next 50 in little more than six Tests. Steyn's aggression on the somewhat docile sub-continent wickets have astounded most pundits, who believe out-andout pace bowlers do not get their just reward in this part of the world. But he has proved everyone wrong. He bowls at around 140-145 km/h in the hot and sometimes humid conditions. And he has taken wickets at will in the two series he has played in the sub-continent since last September. Against Pakistan when the South Africans decided to change strategy they jettisoned their star all-rounder Shaun Pollock, who was bowling around the 130km/h mark and considered too slow for demolishing opposing batting line-ups Steyn, back in favour after coming through injury problems that plagued his early international career, put his hand up to snap up nine wickets for 222 runs in the two match Test series. He also took a five-wicket haul in the process. And when he returned to South African for the home series against New Zealand and the West Indies on familiar surroundings and where the pitches are more conducive to quick bowling the gangly fast bowler dismantled the Black Caps batting by taking 20 wickets at 9.20 apiece in the two-Test series. And then he turned the screws on the West Indies as well. Another 20-wicket haul propelled him to 49 wickets in just seven Test with the summer not even half way to its end. And he was up to his tricks against Bangladesh on home soil as well as he picked up seven wickets in the first Test 3/27 and 4/48 getting closer to the magical 100-Test wicket mark. And now he has achieved the feat. The Nashua Titans speedster is keen to look ahead at the bigger picture the 200-mark. "But I don't want to get ahead of myself," he said. "I'd like to take one game at a time and go from there. It would be nice to get to 200. It will come, but I'll have to bide my time." Meanwhile, Mickey Arthur, coach of the South Africa side, is pleased with the way his young quick bowlers have risen to the challenge. He conceded that the gamble the Proteas management took early in the season has paid dividends. "If you take the bowlers we have all bowling at 140-plus - they are doing what we had planned at the start of this year," he said. And Dale has been phenomenal. He has shown the way and he's been outstanding from the time we started our hectic schedule. And to bowl in the sub-continent and be as successful as he has been, is really superb. Steyn has taken seven wickets in this (as yet) incomplete second Test and has moved his tally of Test wickets to 105. That's 13 for the series so far. March 03, 2008

He's about 6-7th in the all time list. For Bowlers after the 80's its something like this: Andy Roberts Ian Botham Steyn Waqar Pretty good company. Steyn's been one of my favourite bowlers for a while now.
ian botham above steyn, waqar, holding, et al:omg:
Guest HariSampath

Dale Steyn is very quick, ranks among the seriously fast bowlers and most importantly he takes wickets , beats batters and takes wickets. Surely he is one of the world's top fast bowlers and can become a genuine great bowler.

Guest HariSampath

Steyn has done pretty well in Bangladesh , and the wickets are similar here. Batting will be of much higher quality, but he is a very good bowler too. I am looking forward to the Chennai test to see how Sehwag, Sachin and whoever else in team will play him

Steyn is a brilliant wicket taker' date=' in the Brett Lee mould, but one wonders how he will hack it when the wickets stop coming at five per go since he is an expensive bowler.[/quote'] Just like Brett Lee used to be an "expensive" wicket taker, but has tightened up and does not leak so many runs now - in the same way, I thik Steyn will become a world class, great fast bowler. He will be right up there with the game's best.
Just like Brett Lee used to be an "expensive" wicket taker' date=' but has tightened up and does not leak so many runs now - in the same way, I thik Steyn will become a world class, great fast bowler.[/quote'] Lee changed from side on to front on, sparking the change (he turned from rapid, to rubbish to world class in just a few years), this won't likely happen with Steyn. There is the possibility with Steyn that the wickets won't stop coming though, he seems to get them everywhere against everyone and there is no reason why it would stop.