Nasser Hussain picks six players to watch out for in this World Cup

4 hours ago, sandeep said:

Not to mention, Sachin dropped tons or 90+ scores in every cricket country he toured.  The first time.  As a teenager.  Virat got his ass dropped from the test team the first time, because he wasn't good enough to hack it.  

Johnny-come-lately fans only have the post 2002 Sachin - who was a shadow of himself in his prime - in their mind, when they think of him.  The problem is that most batsmen rapidly fade away from int'l cricket when they aren't at their best - even the great ones - Dravid, Ponting, Richards, Lara, all of them.  But Sachin was able to have a top-notch int'l career for 10 years past his prime.  That doesn't take away the fact that in the 1990s, he was so good, so consistently.  I mean, his entire 1990s were what Virat's last 2 years look like.   And not to forget, he hit that stride very early in his career - didn't need to be dropped from the test team, didn't need to have a horror show tour of England - any of that. He took to int'l cricket, and right away demonstrated his greatness, like it was nothing.   Of course, he was nowhere near as good or consistent past 2003 - that elbow injury and recovery never left him the same.  

Problem is, that there are many 'smart' guys out there, who have decided that Sachin 'underachieved'.  Or didn't "win" enough games. ******* ki fauj mein kami kabhi nahi hoti.

More or less in complete agreement. These kids who underrate Sachin, I mean we have been through this so many times, points keep getting recycled/repeated. I don't even try to put forth the full picture nowadays. Fine if you wanna put down the great man, go ahead, want to be like that frog in a well, no one's stopping you. These Sachin vs others debates will carry on till eternity, speaks volumes of the man whose name is still dragged to judge other outstanding players. Even his haters won't deny that he is the gold standard to measure greatness of batsmen. Right now if people want to compare Virat with Sachin I can only sit back and laugh...sure I want a fellow Indian to overshadow our greatest batsman and he may do it by the time he is done but now's not the time, even in ODIs where Kohli hasn't done enough to be a a clear first all things considered in his era. Sachin OTOH must have been dominant 1st (and not 1st among equals) for at least 6-7 years in international ODI cricket, and WC record plays a crucial part in my ranking methodology.

I am one of those who believes Sachin is an underachiever and I don't mean it in the negative sense. IMO many of my favorites (whose careers I followed live) across sports have been underachievers...Federer, Messi, Sachin, Anand, Fernando Alonso, Dhanraj....hell even Usain Bolt !!!! I have nothing but respect for all these legends and when I say underachieve I explore the 'what if' scenario. Federer could have won 20+ majors, Messi could have been GOAT, Anand could have matched Kasparov, Usain Bolt could have set more WRs etc. Now there are many reasons and theories why they couldn't and I understand that. 

Similarly when I harp on about Sachin's lack of matchwinning ability that is a crucial component when it comes to rating ATGs in the GOAT race. If Sachin is up against lesser greats like KP, Cook, ABDV, Viru, Clarke etc no one would bring this up. But his peers are Bradman, Sobers, Chappell, Sunny, Viv, Lara, Ponting, Kallis, Sanga etc and in the GOAT race everything has to be considered. All these guys even Bradman had a few flaws even if they were minuscule and hard to detect and Sachin was no different. We have never seen a perfect sportsman and never will. 

I also think Sachin suffered in the 2000s because he developed a selfish streak (minor) and fear of failure (major), his batting mindset had more to do with his decline. Of course all are connected and injuries do affect mental side of the game but have to put it on record.

Edited by Gollum
3 hours ago, sandeep said:

He's a better test cricketer so far, than in white ball cricket.  As of now.   Potential is there of him being the next Bumrah - i.e. a dominant lead dog bowler.   I love the guy, but would rather he do that after India win the WC.

Cummins is the complete package. Apart from his phenomenal bowling ability, an OK batsman, excellent fielder and always gives it his all. And he has that unmistakable swagger which attracts even the neutral fans. He hasn't played enough ODIs and I expect him to leave a mark here. A rare bowler who can take the pitch out of the equation, he will need to do that a lot on these pattas we are about to be served up. 

1 hour ago, Gollum said:

More or less in complete agreement. These kids who underrate Sachin, I mean we have been through this so many times, points keep getting recycled/repeated. I don't even try to put forth the full picture nowadays. Fine if you wanna put down the great man, go ahead, want to be like that frog in a well, no one's stopping you. These Sachin vs others debates will carry on till eternity, speaks volumes of the man whose name is still dragged to judge other outstanding players. Even his haters won't deny that he is the gold standard to measure greatness of batsmen. Right now if people want to compare Virat with Sachin I can only sit back and laugh...sure I want a fellow Indian to overshadow our greatest batsman and he may do it by the time he is done but now's not the time, even in ODIs where Kohli hasn't done enough to be a a clear first all things considered in his era. Sachin OTOH must have been dominant 1st (and not 1st among equals) for at least 6-7 years in international ODI cricket, and WC record plays a crucial part in my ranking methodology.

I am one of those who believes Sachin is an underachiever and I don't mean it in the negative sense. IMO many of my favorites (whose careers I followed live) across sports have been underachievers...Federer, Messi, Sachin, Anand, Fernando Alonso, Dhanraj....hell even Usain Bolt !!!! I have nothing but respect for all these legends and when I say underachieve I explore the 'what if' scenario. Federer could have won 20+ majors, Messi could have been GOAT, Anand could have matched Kasparov, Usain Bolt could have set more WRs etc. Now there are many reasons and theories why they couldn't and I understand that. 

Similarly when I harp on about Sachin's lack of matchwinning ability that is a crucial component when it comes to rating ATGs in the GOAT race. If Sachin is up against lesser greats like KP, Cook, ABDV, Viru, Clarke etc no one would bring this up. But his peers are Bradman, Sobers, Chappell, Sunny, Viv, Lara, Ponting, Kallis, Sanga etc and in the GOAT race everything has to be considered. All these guys even Bradman had a few flaws even if they were minuscule and hard to detect and Sachin was no different. We have never seen a perfect sportsman and never will. 

I also think Sachin suffered in the 2000s because he developed a selfish streak (minor) and fear of failure (major), his batting mindset had more to do with his decline. Of course all are connected and injuries do affect mental side of the game but have to put it on record.

Gollum  nobody disagreed ,Sachin was better batsman but I want  to know why you hate virat so much? I think  virat may be the third or fourth best  batsman  india has ever produced. 

Some people can't unemotional give credit where it is due, no one can argue Virat is the best ODI cricketer that has ever walked this planet

In tests he was lagging a bit behind but in last 2 years based on his numbers and contribution towards winning games and series is much better 

It is ridiculous when people wanna downplay someone because he is young confident has a actress for wife and is unapologetic 

The sheer authority and confidence he brings to the crease is unrivalled, his performance while chasing and second innings is way better then Sachin

34 minutes ago, VT87 said:

Gollum  nobody disagreed ,Sachin was better batsman but I want  to know why you hate virat so much? I think  virat may be the third or fourth best  batsman  india has ever produced. 

I don't hate Virat at all. I don't like when players are overhyped (not just Kohli, even Sachin for that matter) and anyway most of my criticism directed towards Kohli is because of his captaincy, basically the TM leadership role which is rudderless. I want him to groom the next set of Indian superstar batsmen, if he fails at mentoring the likes of Pant, Rahul, Mayank, Shaw, Gill, Iyer etc I will hold a grudge against him. 

I agree he is our 3rd or 4th greatest batsman and I want him to end as our best of all time. What you see isn't hate, there is something called 'tough love'. 

15 minutes ago, MCcricket said:

Some people can't unemotional give credit where it is due, no one can argue Virat is the best ODI cricketer that has ever walked this planet

Image result for viv richards

Again what is Kohli's WC record? WC KO record? Average 14 with SR 58 sure bears hallmarks of best ever. 

In tests he was lagging a bit behind but in last 2 years based on his numbers and contribution towards winning games and series is much better

Which games or series he won? Among the hard fought ones Rahul/Che won us the epic series against Aus in 2017 and Che was MOS downunder in our series win. In home matches Che, Ash, Jaddu have played far more important roles and we would have won them all even without Kohli's batting. 

It is ridiculous when people wanna downplay someone because he is young confident has a actress for wife and is unapologetic 

Who said that? Care to back this statement?

The sheer authority and confidence he brings to the crease is unrivalled, his performance while chasing and second innings is way better then Sachin

Pity he goes missing in our 4th innings chases, even the puny targets. And less said about his chasing prowess in big matches the better. 2015 WC SF and 2017 CT F both saw some of the worst batting by any batsman in the big stage. In modern era ODI pitches even hacks like Guptill and Sharma will have better numbers than Sachin, Viv...that tells more about the current state of bat-ball balance. 

No one's denying that Kohli is a legend, one of the best ever. But hold your horses when it comes to rating him as best ever and all that hyperbole. We all wish he becomes GOAT, let us make these big statements after and not before. 

Edited by Gollum