Dhoni's latest pursuit: A B.Com Degree - he wants to enroll in college!

fineleg

After winning the Twenty20 World Cup and beating the Aussies in a tri-series, Mahi is trying a masterstroke. At a ripe 26, Mahendra Singh Dhoni has turned his focus to academics. Building on his reputation as a ‘finisher’ in ODIs, India’s cricket captain is attending to some unfinished business—a graduation degree. St Xavier’s College Principal Nicholas Tete confirmed that Dhoni is seeking admission in the institute through the sports quota. It is in this connection that he met Ranchi University Sports Director Jai Kumar Sinha . “He has expressed a wish to pursue B.Com from our college. But he’ll have problems attending classes both owing to his cricket engagements as well as his star status. We’ll need to complete other formalities including the University’s permission,” said Tete. The principal’s fears don’t appear unfounded as the local hero, chief guest at the finals of the Inter-Class Canvass Ball Cricket Tournament in the college, created a mini-stampede when hundreds of students surrounded him on Wednesday. Since the time he set foot in Ranchi, every move that Dhoni makes has been making headlines—from naming the daughter of a former Minister, to riding his Harley past security to meet a schoolmate, or even buying shoes for football players. A Commerce degree may help him manage the millions he will make from the IPL.:haha: And, perhaps, decipher the number of zeroes in the next cheque which comes his way, till the euphoria of India’s victory over Australia lasts. A bachelor’s degree may also make the hearthrob of millions the most eligible bachelor among the Men in Blue. -------------------------------- <<Do his parents want him to be a "degree holder" before Marriage?>>

B84D77B81FD575C709CF6A276371A.jpg Ranchi: Those of you who thought Mahendra Singh Dhoni's long locks were hot, here's some good news. The iconic cricketer from Jharkhand has confirmed that come the next cricket season, he would grow back his hair and sport the long locks that made even Pakistan President Pervez Musharraf his ardent fan. "You may see me in my old hairstyle after this summer," Dhoni told a gathering of fans and the media at his hometown before emplaning for Mumbai yesterday. The India ODI skipper also revealed that on hindsight he liked his old looks better than his current one.

There goes the typical Indian obsession ( pardon me for stereotyping, but there is no other way to say this) with useless degrees. Somehow, people seem to get a strange sense of satisfaction and achievement if they can add lots of initials AFTER their name.

There goes the typical Indian obsession ( pardon me for stereotyping, but there is no other way to say this) with useless degrees.
Really? I think it is highly commendable that Dhoni is going for a higher degree. I mean Sachin is barely educated and he makes no bones that he would have liked to have some degree. Dhoni is quite correct in opting to go for BCom considering he can use all the business information to deal with his money. By the way the college mentioned St. Xaviers is great institute, easily the best in Jharkhand and dare I say one of the best in the country.

Really? I think it is highly commendable that Dhoni is going for a higher degree. I mean Sachin is barely educated and he makes no bones that he would have liked to have some degree. Dhoni is quite correct in opting to go for BCom considering he can use all the business information to deal with his money.
Lurks, tell me you are kidding.

Really? I think it is highly commendable that Dhoni is going for a higher degree. I mean Sachin is barely educated and he makes no bones that he would have liked to have some degree. Dhoni is quite correct in opting to go for BCom considering he can use all the business information to deal with his money. By the way the college mentioned St. Xaviers is great institute, easily the best in Jharkhand and dare I say one of the best in the country.
That is sheer nonsense

No not really. What makes you sceptical Sriram?
Lurks, your assertion that,
Really? I think it is highly commendable that Dhoni is going for a higher degree. I mean Sachin is barely educated and he makes no bones that he would have liked to have some degree. Dhoni is quite correct in opting to go for BCom considering he can use all the business information to deal with his money
doesnt make too much sense to me on many counts 1)First of all, Sachin does NOT have any need for a degree. Ultimately all of us want a livelihood and there are many ways to get one. One is through education and day jobs, while another alternative is to play sport at a professional level and earn money. While many of us chose the former route, Sachin chose the latter. And by jove, didnt it pay him handsome dividends ? IF he does decide to a degree, it will probably be the most useless thing he has done in his life, unless of course if its some sort of personal passion for him to learn about history/economics. BUT, he is does a degree merely for the sake of having some initials after his name, thats utter nonsense. 2) FACT no.1 : You dont need a degree to know how to deal with money. I have seen enough examples in my personal life to know that you can have doctorate in economics and yet be an absolute dud in the handling of finances at home 3) FACT no.2 : MSD especially, does NOT need a degree, to handle his money. All he has to do is to hire a financial manager, who will do the job for him. Instead of that, he is going to waste some valuable time of his, reading through commerce books, time which he could have spent on definitely more important things like cricket, captaincy, fitness and family, that will be a criminal waste, IMO.

1)First of all, Sachin does NOT have any need for a degree. Ultimately all of us want a livelihood and there are many ways to get one. One is through education and day jobs, while another alternative is to play sport at a professional level and earn money. While many of us chose the former route, Sachin chose the latter. And by jove, didnt it pay him handsome dividends ? IF he does decide to a degree, it will probably be the most useless thing he has done in his life, unless of course if its some sort of personal passion for him to learn about history/economics. BUT, he is does a degree merely for the sake of having some initials after his name, thats utter nonsense.
Not really Sriram. Sachin failed his Matriculation exams by 4 marks. I am not sure if he retook it or on but he has mentioned many a times that one of his regrets is that he did not get as much education as he wanted to.
2) FACT no.1 : You dont need a degree to know how to deal with money. I have seen enough examples in my personal to know that you can have doctorate in economics and yet be an absolute dud in the handling of finances at home
Not convincing. How often do we read of sportsmen, all around the world, who are taken for a ride by the very people who make investments for them. I can not speculate the reason why Dhoni has decide to go for BCom, maybe he just likes the subject who knows? But a degree, if done correctly, done in the subject will make sure Dhoni understands the basics of finances. Simple stuff like Profit and Loss, Company result sheet, share markets etc etc. Sure he can have a team but his understanding on the subject is only going to help him. Look it this way. There are two cricket players. Player A is complete novice. Player B is a player with knowledge in fitness. Which one of these two would be able to extract more out of the Fitness expert in the team?
3) FACT no.2 : MSD especially, does NOT need a degree, to handle his money. All he has to do is to hire a financial manager, who will do the job for him. Instead of that, he is going to waste some valuable time of his, reading through commerce books, time which he could have spent on definitely more important things like cricket, captaincy, fitness and family, that will be a criminal waste, IMO.
Amitabh Bacchan hired what he thought were the best business mind and look what happened to ABCL. Dhoni for all his clout is not even a fraction of what AB was. xxx

You dont need a degree to manage your finances. That is basic street smartness. How are all the millionaires in our villages managing their finances when they havent had any education at all? Having said that, if Dhoni feels he needs to do it, for whatever reason, good for him.