Over merging

Last few weeks the threads have indeed (Arun Lal's fav word "indeed") been over merged.(ofcourse this is an opinion, and some here are of this same opinion, few have disagreed - TGIB, Rajeev). No need to do that over merging. Like Dhondy also mentioned, just let the thread live on its own. There can be exceptions like 10 threads all of a sudden screaming "India win" on match days. Then merging is more understandable. But, by and large, the threads can stay.

Guys, what Rajeev is saying is right. If there are too many threads on the same topic, they should be merged to give an uncluttered and organised look. Also, as most have said, please do look around to see if threads on certain topics, that you want to start a discussion on, already exist.

OK, then its all about ego then I start a thread, right..say "sachin scored a 100" Vignesh starts a thread " What a century by the master" In the 1st thread, 4 ppl responded and in urs there were like 5! Tell me, which one has life and which one doesn't?

Last few weeks the threads have indeed (Arun Lal's fav word "indeed") been over merged.(ofcourse this is an opinion, and some here are of this same opinion, few have disagreed - TGIB, Rajeev). No need to do that over merging. Like Dhondy also mentioned, just let the thread live on its own. There can be exceptions like 10 threads all of a sudden screaming "India win" on match days. Then merging is more understandable. But, by and large, the threads can stay.
Agree ... It is one thing to merge impulsive threads on match days and most people don't mind that. But to merge threads just because they seem to be discussing same person or similar topics is a bit too much. Threads are people's thoughts put into words.People do put thought and effort into their threads and like to keep a track of the threads .To treat threads like files to be put into boxes together is not right. Unless someone spends 24 hrs on the forum...it becomes difficult to keep track of the threads and the merging. It takes too much time to find the thread you were following and once you read the merged version, it often doesn't feel the same. It's much easier to go to page 2 or page 3 to find the thread than look for it in some other thread. We all appreciate the hard and thankless effort put in by the moderators and administrators.The forum is there because they put in so much into the forum . The merging takes up so much of there time.....so unless it is really required..why do it? This forum was working fine without so much merging . People are smart enough to go to the thread of their interest.And most people do know that there are threads on page2-3 also and just have to click on next page if there are too many topics. Another thing that has changed in the recent time is that unlike earlier when mods were fellow posters and friends...now sometimes they stick out as moderators for their curt posts.This place is changing. It has started feeling like a class with monitors.........:((:(( I apologise if I offend anyone.....
OK, then its all about ego then I start a thread, right..say "sachin scored a 100" Vignesh starts a thread " What a century by the master" In the 1st thread, 4 ppl responded and in urs there were like 5! Tell me, which one has life and which one doesn't?
Both Are Budding Threads Giving it some time so as to make a difference in the rate of growth would be ideal................
Agree ... It is one thing to merge impulsive threads on match days and most people don't mind that. But to merge threads just because they seem to be discussing same person or similar topics is a bit too much. Threads are people's thoughts put into words.People do put thought and effort into their threads and like to keep a track of the threads .To treat threads like files to be put into boxes together is not right. Unless someone spends 24 hrs on the forum...it becomes difficult to keep track of the threads and the merging. It takes too much time to find the thread you were following and once you read the merged version, it often doesn't feel the same. It's much easier to go to page 2 or page 3 to find the thread than look for it in some other thread. We all appreciate the hard and thankless effort put in by the moderators and administrators.The forum is there because they put in so much into the forum . The merging takes up so much of there time.....so unless it is really required..why do it? This forum was working fine without so much merging . People are smart enough to go to the thread of their interest.And most people do know that there are threads on page2-3 also and just have to click on next page if there are too many topics. Another thing that has changed in the recent time is that unlike earlier when mods were fellow posters and friends...now sometimes they stick out as moderators for their curt posts.This place is changing. It has started feeling like a class with monitors.........:((:(( I apologise if I offend anyone.....
Threads are people's thoughts put into words.People do put thought and effort into their threads and like to keep a track of the threads .To treat threads like files to be put into boxes together is not right. .everyone has thoughts, does that mean we should have 10 diff threads for the same topic? We all appreciate the hard and thankless effort put in by the moderators and administrators.The forum is there because they put in so much into the forum . ..thats an understatement The merging takes up so much of there time.....so unless it is really required..why do it? This forum was working fine without so much merging . P lot of new posters unless u only like old icf crowd Another thing that has changed in the recent time is that unlike earlier when mods were fellow posters and friends...now sometimes they stick out as moderators for their curt posts.This place is changing. It has started feeling like a class with monitors hindi: baaki sabhi theekh hain, shaayad nazariya badal gay hain I apologise if I offend anyone: - ab kya pachtao jab chidiya chugh gayi kheth
Thanks for that post beetle. I guess I was getting too big for my boots. I certainly don't want moderators to be treated like gods and mods aren't different from other posters. We are all equal here. I think Dhondy's suggestion about hands off is a good one. Merging is necessary when 10 threads on the same issue(e.g congratulations India) exist. The distinction needs to be made between threads like 'Harbhajan-Symonds spat' and 'Why Symonds was wrong' type of threads. It would be useful though if everyone could take a cursory glance at the first page before starting threads on topics that might already exist.