Saha ki keeping ke bare me bhi baat karle?

@abc Saha thoroughly dominated Watling in the 2016 home series. MOM performance with the bat on a greentop in Eden, averaged 112 in that series.... Watling just 22 with scores reading 21, 18, 25, 1, 23, 23*. It is up to Watling to do something of note now.  I don't think I have to talk about keeping, Ronchi often wore gloves ahead of Watling, that shows the confidence NZ management have on their guy. 

I feel our home form is such that anybody can be carried by the team, be it a poor bat or a poor keeper.

NZ will be the acid test. A team in good form in which every person will have to pull their own weight.

To be honest so long as Saha maintains an average of more than 30 given the preference of all rounders it wont impact India much.

1 hour ago, Gollum said:

@abc Saha thoroughly dominated Watling in the 2016 home series. MOM performance with the bat on a greentop in Eden, averaged 112 in that series.... Watling just 22 with scores reading 21, 18, 25, 1, 23, 23*. It is up to Watling to do something of note now.  I don't think I have to talk about keeping, Ronchi often wore gloves ahead of Watling, that shows the confidence NZ management have on their guy. 

I know all that, but it has been 3 years since then.

Watling has improved his batting in the mean time, so he is unlikely to get replaced (his keeping has always been the best within the NZ squad), while Saha has by now started displaying the full extent of his extraordinary abilities that first got him noticed by Ganguly et al. about ten years ago (is it just me, or did Saha's keeping somehow get better *after* the injury layoff? Maybe he did some extra fitness/technique work in the intervening period?)

Since they are not in direct competition for the same spot, I am not too bothered at this point, and am just looking forward to a good contest between the top two. As an added bonus, they have quite similar personalities - mild-mannered, soft-spoken, unassuming, team-first mentality, etc.; i.e., both ideal role models. So I guess above all, I am just glad to see them both playing test cricket at the same time. The worst case scenario is if Pant and Ronchi (or some other makeshift options from the respective sides) were to somehow end up keeping instead - now that would doubtless be the ultimate loss for cricket.

2 hours ago, ShoonyaSifar said:

Err, how exactly is that relevant to this debate. Do enlighten me.

Look at the part of your post I quoted.

Remember that among "genuine" medium pacers (at least 250 wickets in Tests, say), no one batted as high as Kallis (one-down). Does that make him the greatest medium pacer?

Edited by abc

In a study published in 2016, Watling came out as the keeper with least % of missed chances, was at 11% (http://www.thecricketmonthly.com/story/1056115/tracking-the-misses). Guess the number isn't any worse since then. 

What wins it massively in his favour is his batting, he has now won two back to back tests for his team with his batting, 105* vs SL and 205 vs Eng. Has so many fighting knocks to win/save tests for his side.

A very revealing stat:

Saha in his last 16 Tests: 390 runs@30

Watling in 2019 in only 5 Tests alone: 427 runs@85

@abc I'd say Saha's keeping was at its peak in 2017. Didn't miss a chance IIRC and was converting even more impossible chances, he isn't as nimble-footed now. Pity that his best catches from that year have been removed from YT...some real gems against Aus and SL. 

Edited by Gollum