No Gambhir in test squad, WTF!

Jaffer scores big when he does' date=' unlike Gambhir who typically fails to capitalize on his decent starts. Both fail often. It is not an easy choice.[/quote'] i m talking abt chopra and jaffer....and any player can score big when they do it...its not only jaffer...and by the way there is no comparision between ghambir and jaffer since ghambir didnt get that much of chance in test cricket yet...

Chopra ??? He can bull doze the domestic trundlers for a million years & he still wouldnt catch my attention. The guy (when i saw him) was a strokeless wonder, scored all his runs thru the slips. Made some useful 30s & 40s & owed most of his success to Sehwag's blitzkreigs at the other end. Those who think Chopra will be as successful an opener overseas as he used to be, have to look no further than the Jaffer-Dravid combo for an answer. It is only after our X-factor (Veeru) started opening, our batting really got going. We are at the moment, arent desperate enough to try Chopra, yet. Jaffer will come good in home conditions. If he fails, heck I'll even try Gambhir before taking Chopra's name.

Chopra ??? He can bull doze the domestic trundlers for a million years & he still wouldnt catch my attention. The guy (when i saw him) was a strokeless wonder, scored all his runs thru the slips. Made some useful 30s & 40s & owed most of his success to Sehwag's blitzkreigs at the other end. Those who think Chopra will be as successful an opener overseas as he used to be, have to look no further than the Jaffer-Dravid combo for an answer. It is only after our X-factor (Veeru) started opening, our batting really got going. We are at the moment, arent desperate enough to try Chopra, yet. Jaffer will come good in home conditions. If he fails, heck I'll even try Gambhir before taking Chopra's name.
agree with u ...but player can always learn from his previous mistake...and lookig at chopra's ranji form he should deserve a place in at least 15...and with jaffer he fails miserably in AUS and he needs to be drop for atleast one series...if indian selector can not take actions like that then i think Ranji trophy is point less bez players who perform not getting chance to play in international cricket....and since India produces more number of cricket players our selector need take harsh decesion if player fails miserably in one series...
i m talking abt chopra and jaffer....and any player can score big when they do it...its not only jaffer...and by the way there is no comparision between ghambir and jaffer since ghambir didnt get that much of chance in test cricket yet...
too many threads...gambhir...jaffer...chopra...:D chopra, from when we last saw him in internationals was a very defensive player. jaffer atleast has the height and is able to negotiate the high rise delveries and does play some decent strokes. i don't see a big upgrade with chopra over jaffer. hope i got the names right this time. :D
too many threads...gambhir...jaffer...chopra...:D chopra, from when we last saw him in internationals was a very defensive player. jaffer atleast has the height and is able to negotiate the high rise delveries and does play some decent strokes. i don't see a big upgrade with chopra over jaffer. hope i got the names right this time. :D
i think everyone saw chopra like 5 years back...but then as said before player can always learn from their previous mistakes and they do have coach who are there to help them out...so wihtout looking him at the present time...we cant just take the guess and say that he is just same old chopra...we need to give him chance and see...bez on the other side jaffer failed bad in AUS so its not that he was in form and selectors need to drop him or anything...
My comments, unlike yours, was grounded in the FACT that Tendy had gone missing in action for the last 7-8 test series played against serious opposition and had either mediocre or pathetic returns against them. Greatest batsman india has ever produced doesnt get picked coz of reputation- if that were the case, Gavaskar would still be playing. Sorry, but your reflexive jibe has zero merit. Sachin was criticized not just by me, but by several former players with credentials in cricket far more credible than yours'. Fact is, if a player is not performing, he deserves the chop, even if his name is Sachin Ramesh Tendulkar- and fact is, until recently, Sachin was failing pretty badly in tests for a long time.
The Master was just going through a bad phase and look how well he has recovered now. CC1981 you need to know that in a batsman's career there are low phases too. And yeah CC1981 you are a exagerrator . You forgot to mention that during the bad phase the Master averaged 51 during 2004/05 series against Pakisan. He also scored a century against Sri Lanka in a match which India won and was the second highest scorer for India during the test series in South Africa. So he had some good times during the bad phase. Lastly the Master's bad phase that you have talked about occurred during Greg Chapell's tenure. Pretty much most of the Indian batsman forgot how to bat during his time.
CC1981 you don't drop one of the best players of all time just like that. The Master was just going through a bad phase and look how well he has recovered now. May be you need to know that in a batsman's career there are low phases too. And yeah you are a exagerrator . You forgot to mention that during the bad phase the Master averaged 51 during 2004/05 series against Pakisan. He also scored a century against Sri Lanka in a match which India won and was the second highest scorer for India during the test series in South Africa. So he had some good times during the bad phase. Lastly the Master's bad phase that you have talked about occurred during Greg Chapell's tenure. Pretty much most of the Indian batsman forgot how to bat during that time.
Most of the batsmen apart from Dravid and Dhoni. Yuvraj had some pretty good matches as well. As far as the original topic is concerned, there is no doubt that Gambhir has potential of making a test team but he has to tighten his technique outside off stump. First couple of games against Australia, he kept poking outside off stump to Lee, and got out twice I believe. He combated that by leaving a few deliveries outside off and going after the other ones. In test matches, if he is facing someone like Stuart Clark, he can't afford to do that. 99% of the balls will placed on a good line and good length. Perhaps one or two more seasons of FC cricket, and a tighter technique will yield him a place in the test team.
CC1981 you need to know that in a batsman's career there are low phases too.
Yes, there are. But nomatter what your reputation is or who you are, your low phases should not compromise your team. If Tendu is in a low phase, all the best to him, i wish he'd come out of it- but he doesnt deserve to be in the Indian team. Its just that simple, really.
And yeah CC1981 you are a exagerrator . You forgot to mention that during the bad phase the Master averaged 51 during 2004/05 series against Pakisan. He also scored a century against Sri Lanka in a match which India won and was the second highest scorer for India during the test series in South Africa. So he had some good times during the bad phase.
Extremely 'mediocre' by not only world standards but also Indian team standards is what Tendulkar was from 2003 to basically mid 2007 or so. And no, its not an exgaggeration- check the stats- barring some free runs against Bangladesh, Tendu failed to average even 40 in 7 outta 8 series or so. That is pathetic and drop-worthy. And i am not the only one who'd said that, many cricket comms with credentials far more illustrious than ours also noted that.
Yes, there are. But nomatter what your reputation is or who you are, your low phases should not compromise your team. If Tendu is in a low phase, all the best to him, i wish he'd come out of it- but he doesnt deserve to be in the Indian team. Its just that simple, really. Extremely 'mediocre' by not only world standards but also Indian team standards is what Tendulkar was from 2003 to basically mid 2007 or so. And no, its not an exgaggeration- check the stats- barring some free runs against Bangladesh, Tendu failed to average even 40 in 7 outta 8 series or so. That is pathetic and drop-worthy. And i am not the only one who'd said that, many cricket comms with credentials far more illustrious than ours also noted that.
even though im a diehard fan of tendu but not a blind one i have to agree with you :((
even though im a diehard fan of tendu but not a blind one i have to agree with you :((
Thanks, see, i am a very big fan of Tendu myself ( i know i've spent countless hours arguing that Sachin is second only to the Don in history of batsmanship) but i have never been the one to blindly support anyone.
Thanks' date=' see, i am a very big fan of Tendu myself ( i know i've spent countless hours arguing that Sachin is second only to the Don in history of batsmanship) but i have never been the one to blindly support anyone.
As per some folkz, If u dont support blindly, you are not a SRT fan. :D Good that you distinguish the fact that no one is above criticism. What you have pointed out (the "lean period") is correct.
Good that you distinguish the fact that no one is above criticism.
:haha::haha: Well, i come from a hindu brahmin family and as i have shown in the OT section in the past, i am not above criticizing even Ram, to fir Sachin kis kheth ki mooli hain ? :dance:

You cant just axe people like that DSR. Laxman has been a consistent performer this season all against good oponents. As far as Ganguly goes, yea i believe since he was dropped from the ODI team the onus is on him to perform in even tests guys like Gambhir will be waiting its only time before he zeroes in on a test match berth. I do believe he should of been selected over Jaffer who has not really performed consistently abroad.

dsr, your thread's been restored. Coming back to the topic, this IMO is the openers pecking order: 1. Veeru 2. Jaffer(Australia notwithstanding). This guy had a monster series v Pak and a decent one in Pak and even scored a ton in RSA. 3. Gambhir Had this been an overseas tour, Gambhir might have been picked as a reserve keeper. If Jaffer flops, I think GG might come back for the 3rd test.