bowling beamers - fao sriram

I am in agreement that the beamer that Lee bowled to SRT was deliberate - the apology was nonsense. SRT is just a guy who has seen it all, done it all, and doesnt care about inferior beings being daft. If you remember incidents when beamers have been bowled, they always occur, in my memory, when the opposing batsman is doing very well, and the bowler is pig-headed. I have seen Holding bowl two beamers at Kirmani in 1984/5 when SG and SMHK were involved in a record stand in Madras - it was as deliberate as you can get. I have seen Brett Lee and Abdul® Razzaq exchange beamers about 2-3 years ago - both pretended the ball slipped - complete nonsense. I have read about Lee trying to decapitate McCullum in the last NZ-AUS series, during which NZ pummelled the hell out of Oz. Coincidence? I think not.

I thought Sreesanth's beamer to Kevin Pietersen last summer was pretty horrible. He was also bowling 1-foot no balls (1ft between landing foot and crease). Mike Atherton asked Sreesanth to be banned from cricket after that. Pretty drastic statement but its bad to bowl beamers though. Not sure why bowlers choose to "scare" the batsman into submission. Do it with fast in-swinging yorkers to hurt their feet or something. Beamers can become very dangerous (that too at Brett Lee's pace).

nahh it was not intentional.. i dont believe it... and its not that easy to bowl beamer with that accuracy..
Absolutely, its actually incredibly hard to bowl a well directed beamer. I remember Wasim Akram saying on commentary that its actually very hard for a bowler to deliberately bowl a wide, and its even harder to bowl a beamer. Personally I can vouch for that because I do bowl in an indoor net once in a while with the hard-ball and even at my pace ( 120 kmph to 128 kmph), I find it terribly hard to direct the ball to where I want to. Imagine a bowler of Lee's pace ( around 140 kmph) trying to bowl one. There's no saying where the ball might end up at all. Even if we are to buy the argument that bowler didnt really bother where the ball went and all he wanted was to actually to *hit* Tendulkar, I refuse to believe a guy like Lee can do that. Besides, the off-field friendship between Lee and Sachin is quite well known. Keeping all this in mind, its inconceivable to think Lee deliberately bowled a beamer at Sachin. I am not saying no bowler has ever bowled 'em deliberately, but keeping in mind who the bowler and the batsman are, in this particular instance, I will stick to my stand and say that was an accident.
Absolutely, its actually incredibly hard to bowl a well directed beamer. I remember Wasim Akram saying on commentary that its actually very hard for a bowler to deliberately bowl a wide, and its even harder to bowl a beamer. Personally I can vouch for that because I do bowl in an indoor net once in a while with the hard-ball and even at my pace ( 120 kmph to 128 kmph), I find it terribly hard to direct the ball to where I want to. Imagine a bowler of Lee's pace ( around 140 kmph) trying to bowl one. There's no saying where the ball might end up at all. Even if we are to buy the argument that bowler didnt really bother where the ball went and all he wanted was to actually to *hit* Tendulkar, I refuse to believe a guy like Lee can do that. Besides, the off-field friendship between Lee and Sachin is quite well known. Keeping all this in mind, its inconceivable to think Lee deliberately bowled a beamer at Sachin. I am not saying no bowler has ever bowled 'em deliberately, but keeping in mind who the bowler and the batsman are, in this particular instance, I will stick to my stand and say that was an accident.
with regard to the first half, its funny to see that there is a comparison between your bowling and lee's bowling. I am sure you will agree that he is miles ahead in talent and skill. If you were able to direct the ball wher you want to, u would be playing for india,not bowling in some indoor nets as you are dong now. With regards to the wasim akram statement, i would like to point you to the India vs Pak match in delhi where srinath was bowling wide balls and ridiculous bouncers to ensure that kumble got the 10th wicket and not him. So i dont think bowling wides deliberately is as difficult as you think. Nor is bowling beamers in my opinion Again, i think when a bowler is pushing himself to the extent lee was, i am sure off field friendship is something that is left behind. He is not going to bowl lollipops nor is sachin expecting that. If there is a very high degree of competition between players, it is possible that lee could have bowled the beamer deliberately. history is against lee on the beamer incident. There have been many occasions, including trescothick and abdul razzaq, where lee has bowled beamers. We presume that lee and sachin are the best of friends. They may be good chums, as are mcgrath and hayden. And we did see mcgrath pushing hayden in the cricket field [ame=http://youtube.com/watch?v=WjZbpd49lBE]YouTube - Hayden vs Mcgrath FUNNY SLEDGING - ahahaha[/ame] I refuse to believe that lee be declared innocent based on reasons as flimsy as the ones you posted. Come up with more logical ones, and i will consider them :rose:

It will always difficult to say if a beamer is deliberate or not. I think ICC should have heavy fines for bowling beamers because a beamer can cause a fatal injury. What is the ICC waiting for? Do we want to see a batsman badly injured or in a rare case killed( if the bowl goes straight into forehead)? ICC should be more proactive on this issue. Rememeber prevention is better than cure!

It will always difficult to say if a beamer is deliberate or not. I think ICC should have heavy fines for bowling beamers because a beamer can cause a fatal injury. What is the ICC waiting for? Do we want to see a batsman badly injured or in a rare case killed( if the bowl goes straight into forehead)? ICC should be more proactive on this issue. Rememeber prevention is better than cure!
You are absolutely correct. Havent we seen overstepping no balls reduce drastically after the free hit came in. If there were huge fines for bowling a beamer, i am sure bowlers will be extra careful about it
You are absolutely correct. Havent we seen overstepping no balls reduce drastically after the free hit came in. If there were huge fines for bowling a beamer' date=' i am sure bowlers will be extra careful about it[/quote'] ICC already has very stringent rules concerning beamers. Two and you can not bowl in the game anymore which will hurt you and your team more than any fine could. Banning on the basis of one beamer (which can be a ball which genuinely slipped) would not be fair. What ICC can do is introduce punishments on the basis of track records so that bowlers are extra careful Regarding Lee, he is one of the two gentlemen in the Aus team and a top bloke who doesnt have to and wont resort to such cheap tactics.
ICC already has very stringent rules concerning beamers. Two and you can not bowl in the game anymore which will hurt you and your team more than any fine could. Banning on the basis of one beamer (which can be a ball which genuinely slipped) would not be fair. What ICC can do is introduce punishments on the basis of track records so that bowlers are extra careful Regarding Lee, he is one of the two gentlemen in the Aus team and a top bloke who doesnt have to and wont resort to such cheap tactics.
Why is lee considered a gentlemen. Kindly elaborate?
Why is lee considered a gentlemen. Kindly elaborate?
He is one of the nicest fellas in cricket. Very genuine, never seen him abusing or really intidimating a player. Always the first one to walk to an opposition player who falls and enquire about his health. Great person to know off the field too.
He is one of the nicest fellas in cricket. Very genuine' date=' never seen him abusing or really intidimating a player. Always the first one to walk to an opposition player who falls and enquire about his health. Great person to know off the field too.[/quote'] yes ... he isnt saint though and why should he be but he is for sure one of the more respected guys in cricketing world these days !:two_thumbs_up:
He is one of the nicest fellas in cricket. Very genuine' date=' never seen him abusing or really intidimating a player. Always the first one to walk to an opposition player who falls and enquire about his health. Great person to know off the field too.[/quote'] Lee has never intimidated a player. You dont need to intimidate a player when you are bowling 150 dude. Well i can say the same about shoaib as well. I havent seen him shouting at players, abusing them on the field. Dont tell me he is a gentleman as well. I am not trying to create an arguement, but its just that a lot of what is potrayed is what the commentators want us to hear. a simple case to point is this beamer. An aussie commentator and sunil gavasakar have 2 completely contradicting views on the incident, and i am sure the group of people who listen on their corresponding channels will view it differently as well.
Always the first one to walk to an opposition player who falls and enquire about his health
isnt he the perpetrator half the time ? :tounge_smile:
Great person to know off the field too [?\/QUOTE] I hope this is true for every player in world cricket
Lee has never intimidated a player. You dont need to intimidate a player when you are bowling 150 dude. Well i can say the same about shoaib as well. I havent seen him shouting at players, abusing them on the field. Dont tell me he is a gentleman as well. Sohaib does stare people down, mouth off people,etc. I am not trying to create an arguement, but its just that a lot of what is potrayed is what the commentators want us to hear. a simple case to point is this beamer. An aussie commentator and sunil gavasakar have 2 completely contradicting views on the incident, and i am sure the group of people who listen on their corresponding channels will view it differently as well. Yes, but this is the opinion of moat players too. isnt he the perpetrator half the time ? :tounge_smile: Ha, Ha
Great person to know off the field too [?/QUOTE] I hope this is true for every player in world cricket
Not really. Some are real obnoxious off it too! .
ICC already has very stringent rules concerning beamers. Two and you can not bowl in the game anymore which will hurt you and your team more than any fine could. Banning on the basis of one beamer (which can be a ball which genuinely slipped) would not be fair.
Here it is not a question of fair or unfair. It is a more serious issue out here. As I menioned before the injury could be really fatal in case of a beamer. Even for bowling the first beamer there should be a penalty.