Sehwag's triple hundred at Chennai vs SA :Veeru Creates History!!

I don't think Sehwag will ever get his due recognition' date= because of the way he plays his cricket. He is just too cavalier, almost uncaring the way he appears at the crease.
Surely a player is not forgotten by the fans because of the way he played his cricket, a player is forgotten by the fan because of the way fan followed his cricket.

Kumble's lone backing may not have gotten Sehwag into the MCG XI. The selectors and team management all play a role in picking the XI, and it's a good thing Kumble at least pushed for Veeru to go to Australia after not being in the probables. After the Jaffer/Dravid combo failed miserably, thank god he managed to push Sehwag in. The results were evident: losses without, a win and a draw with. As far as his legacy goes, I'm not as pessimistic as you are. Sehwag is a genius and a freak of a batsman, and even if takes some time, people will recognize that. In Australia, plenty appreciate him for the talent he is. Weren't Ian Chappell and Richie Benaud both protesting in shock when he was left out of the 24-man probables squad at one point? Plenty there hold him in very high regard, and most serious pundits/writers/commentators who KNOW and understand the game like Boycott, Shastri and Benaud are already giving him his due. Others will soon follow suit. Give them time, and for now, pity the idiots who can't get past their own obsessions or close-minded approaches to a proper technique and a straight bat that keep them from appreciating a true genius.

I don't think Sehwag will ever get his due recognition' date=' because of the way he plays his cricket. He is just too cavalier, almost uncaring the way he appears at the crease.[/quote'] The same could have been written a hundred years ago about Victor Trumper, a cavalier batsman whose strokes inspired plenty of prose and young kids, even if his numbers never reflected it. Trumper's idolized by plenty these days, and there are many in Australia who will still put him as a near-equal to Bradman. For that matter, the same could even have been said of Stan McCabe, who now has a legacy as one of the all time great strokemakers and a man who produced batting brilliance even Bradman envied. He's another legend in the game, and rightfully so. As I said - a player like that will not be forgotten with time and just glossed over as a cavalier dasher.
I don't think Sehwag will ever get his due recognition, because of the way he plays his cricket. He is just too cavalier, almost uncaring the way he appears at the crease. When he is scoring heavily, this attitude of his will be celebrated as "untroubled", yet when he starts failing, people will invariably come out with theories such as "he doesn't care", "he's earned way too much money to be bothered" and so on. It is also seen as somewhat less trendy to declare a guy who can't speak chaste English, is bald and slightly podgy, as a living legend ahead of the likes of Pietersen, Hayden or Sangakkara, who are much more posh, come across as suave and confident and generate excellent soundbites. Similarly, old timers will sing the eulogies of Viv, Gavaskar or Greg Chappell, and sneer when Sehwag's name is uttered in the same breath as these players'. It is fashionable, you see to praise Pietersen' innings as classic and bold, but you might be seen as a rustic if you go ga-ga over Sehwag's destructive knocks. Surely, a guy who averages 28 in SA can't be that great? Surely, the 54 he averages in Australia must be a fluke or mitigated by the depleted sides he played against? If you were an English scribe, would you have the courage to put this man ahead of Pietersen or Hayden? Imagine the derisory catcalls that would draw from your readers? When he retires, whatever his achievements, he'll be forgotten in a year or two, dismissed as a slightly eccentric guy who scored triple and double tons, and very little in between. People will speak fondly of the the Gavaskars and Vishwanaths, and Sehwag will just be a footnote in history. And I will give up watching cricket. It will all be so bland in his wake.
Wonderfully articulated! IMO, Veeru does not get his due recognition, not because of his ungainly looks or his raw villager's personality, but more because of his style of play. The cricket "pundits" have always preferred to rate "conventional" batsmen over the "mavericks". The conventional wisdom therefore would question, "How can a batsman, who has zero footwork, who hits the ball in the air, reverse sweeps, plays the upper cut, plays an innings ridden with so many risks, be rated above a technically superior batsman ?" The key point being missed ofcourse, is that "How many such batsmen, have managed to pillory their opponents consistently in the manner, Sehwag has" ? Arun Lal, made a great point yesterday about how Veeru's lack of footwork allowed him to play some shots that a technically sounder batsman couldnt dream of. The key in acknowledging Sehwag's feats, is acknowledging that the original definition of "technique" is not enough to rate this maverick. Only when the definition evolves, to accomodate modern day upper cuts, reverse sweeps, paddle sweeps, inside outs, lofted drives, will Sehwag be rated as an all time great. Until then, he'll only be damned as an FTB and compared to the likes of Afridis, Dhonis and Chris Gayles of this world. But who cares about these useless ratings ? Veeru is the greatest thing to have happened to Indian cricket in the last decade. Nothing can change that!

Contrary to what a lot of people write and say, I think Sehwag has one of the better techniques in the game. His footwork might be lacking but just notice the stillness of his head while executing the strokes and you'll realize how that factor gives him so much control over his strokes. Wright made the same comment in his book, saying that he considers Sehwag to have one of the better batting techniques because of his still head. It is most pronounced when he plays the square drives and cover drives and is treat to watch on slow motion.

Contrary to what a lot of people write and say' date=' I think Sehwag has one of the better techniques in the game. His footwork might be lacking but just notice the stillness of his head while executing the strokes and you'll realize how that factor gives him so much control over his strokes. Wright made the same comment in his book, saying that he considers Sehwag to have one of the better batting techniques because of his still head. It is most pronounced when he plays the square drives and cover drives and is treat to watch on slow motion.[/quote'] Yeah, I was watching that yesterday -- especially when he moved to leg and hit inside out to the off side. Arms and legs moved all over, but a moment before contact everything came together. His head was as still as in forward defense.

Exactly, prof. Technique is NOT moving your feet as much as possible. In fact that's why a lot of players have other failings - people like Gambhir, Yousuf and Langer with more 'copybook' techniques were always huge LBW candidates because they moved too far forward and ended up scissoring their bat around their pads. Others like Atherton couldn't handle balls moving slightly outside off due to another aspect of their footwork and guard. There isn't any one way - Sehwag's is just fine. Not MCC coaching manual, but who gives a sh it? His head is always still, feet NEVER get in the way of the bat and he's capable of moving forward or back as need be for certain shots. For his straight drives or flicks through square leg, he moves his feet just fine. For his uppercuts he can move back and sometimes across or away without a problem. Great eyes, watches the ball right onto the bat most of the time, and because he doesn't go too far forward with his feet and arms, he often ends up hitting the ball right under his eyes.

Am afraid, "feet movement" is not so trivial. Infact on "seaming tracks" thats the only thing that separates the good, bad & ugly of batsmen. I have seen Veeru get out many times swinging or poking outside the off, without trying to get close to the ball. When he's on song, he manages to survive inspite of his cemented foot. His still head does help him hit high percentage shots, but cannot make up for his lack of foot movement, on all surfaces. In addition, for the pundits such as Benaud, his 'kade kade shots' wont make an elegant photograph and Veeru hence, would be deemed a player of 'lesser' quality. "Technique" does matter for the 'old school' pundits and someone as ungainly and as maverick as Veeru, will not come across as a technically sound batsman, to the experts.

I can't help but say that who cares about what the experts think? It is usually said that Richie Benaud was the best spinner of his time, and Geoff Boycott was technically the best batsman. Rahul Dravid, I think is the most technically perfect batsman of this era (of fast-paced innings), and if he can say that Viru's effort and his batting was phenomenal and audacious, I'm happy with that. I couldn't care less what those "experts" think.

Like it or not Rahul Dravid and Anil Kumble are his biggest backers in Indian cricket. Rahul Dravid had Sehwag in the team for such a long time even when Sehwag wasn't in the best form. Unfortunately for Rahul, Sehwag started to show good form after he stepped down. It's a shame Rahul had to step down from captaincy.