Strategy for Day 4

Gambit

let's do some math: we're currently behind by 72 runs, and 180 overs remain in this test match. If we bat for a further 60 overs, and score 250 runs, we'll have about 130 overs at the saffers, while ahead by 178. If we can bowl them out for 250 in a max of 100 overs, then we can chase 72 runs in 30 overs. Sehwag's gotta continue, and Tendulkar and Ganguly and Dhoni need quickfire knocks. If we REALLY get crazy we can play in one day mode, score at 5.5 RPO and kill the saffers from there. So much for 'Smith and his boys will thump India'

952/6 by Sri Lanka is the highest team total. Given the pitch and our destructive batting line up we could easily do it if we wanted to. Though we won't, I would still like to see Sehwag score 400+ and have Kumble and Harbhajan turn it on against South Africa in the last day. I also want to see Sachin score a century here as well.

Agreed. I don't know how long we will bat for, but if we look to bat two sessions and Dravid gets out quickly, Sachin may have the chance. It would make by day to see Sehwag smashing through 400 with the partnership of Sachin going on to his 40th test hundred. In fact I believe it is likely, lets look at what happened yesturday. Sehwag made a massive amounts of runs for us with the company of slower strikers, Jaffer and Dravid. They are our slowest batsmen in the line up, so if Sachin, Ganguly or Laxman get it, we could score at a much faster pace than we did yesturday. Sehwag will be refreshed and could perhaps be more attacking, it should be a run fest today.

Judging from what everyone here is saying I think it will be India'sbest interests to try and bat the whole day and attain as much of a lead as possible. 250-270 runs would be ideal. Then give SA the chance to chase towards the end of tomorrow or early on day 5 and hope for them to crumble under pressure against the likes of Kumble and Bhajji.

I'd consider promoting Dhoni up the order. Possibly ahead of Laxman.
We can afford to shift around the batting order with the position we are in now. It makes no difference to Sehwag and as long as he has a partner scoring at a decent rate at the other end, it will be hell for South Africa.
We can afford to shift around the batting order with the position we are in now. It makes no difference to Sehwag and as long as he has a partner scoring at a decent rate at the other end' date=' it will be hell for South Africa.[/quote'] My reasoning is different. I'd play Dhoni next simply because he is the only guy who can match Sehwag's scoring rate. So if Sehwag goes early, having Dhoni out there would ensure that India's run rate doesn't fall dramatically. I am sure someone like Drawvid won't even try to accelerate and guys like Tendulkar/Laxman start slow and speed up later. India must score big and score fast in each and every session if they want to win this game
My reasoning is different. I'd play Dhoni next simply because he is the only guy who can match Sehwag's scoring rate. So if Sehwag goes early' date=' having Dhoni out there would ensure that India's run rate doesn't fall dramatically. I am sure someone like Drawvid won't even try to accelerate and guys like Tendulkar/Laxman start slow and speed up later. India must score big and score fast in each and every session if they want to win this game[/quote'] yeah we need to look at 60 runs an hr minimum and the goal should be 70 runs an hr

I have very little confidence in India in these type of situations. If Sehwag gets out early tomorrow then I have a feeling the rest of our batsmen will meander around at 3 rpo and not get a big enough lead to force an innings defeat. My ideal scenario would be Sehwag batting long tomorrow and India declaring w/ an hour left in the day. We should play 75 overs and go at abt 4-4.5 rpo, which would give us 300+ for the day and have an overall lead of around 250. Hope we can pick up a wicket or 2 in the final hour and put SA under some serious pressure on the final day where they can choke. I say 'choke' because this pitch is simply too batsman friendly to "bowl" a team out in about 100 overs. The SA batsmen themselve wills have to do some uncharacteristic things for India to win this.

My reasoning is different. I'd play Dhoni next simply because he is the only guy who can match Sehwag's scoring rate. So if Sehwag goes early' date=' having Dhoni out there would ensure that India's run rate doesn't fall dramatically. I am sure someone like Drawvid won't even try to accelerate and guys like Tendulkar/Laxman start slow and speed up later. India must score big and score fast in each and every session if they want to win this game[/quote'] Indeed, I hope Dhoni gets promoted to the top for a quick fire blast. Though I have a feelings a few wickets will fall today so I'm expecting everyone to strike as fast as they can if the opportunity arises.

main problem will be over rates they bowled like 25 overs in first two sessions and they might slow that more tommorow, they didnt complete their 90 overs today and I dont understand why they are not making the overs up by early start tomorrow,if sewhag gets out early the most we can score in session will be 100 that too if dravid and sachin score fast not slow down when nearing milestones.My guess is again tomorrow we will lose some 5 odd overs so they need to bat an hour into tea and score at least 300 runs.Then attack all out and see if they can get couple of wickets by end of day's play wishful thinking .