Rahane's future

On 7/24/2020 at 10:39 AM, zen said:

Ok. But you took me as a Tendulkar distractor when he is among my favorite cricketers. What I am against is the self scamming exercise of Sachin is the greatest claim perpetrated. If people who call that out are Tendy distractors, Tendy fanboys are cricket distractors, imo. 

I think Tendulkar's, like all players, record will be more open to objective discussion in a decade or so when the people who grew up idolizing him phase out/become less dominant in the discourse. 

It seems to be a major trend across all the sports I follow, where a player is most staunchly defended by the people who grew up idolizing them, ie in BBall, all the 30-40+ fans/analysts all claim that MJ is the greatest basketball player to ever play, but people older than that group would say Bill Russell or KAJ and people younger say Kobe or Lebron.

IMO everyone will always favour those who they grow up with. 

12 hours ago, Tibarn said:

I think Tendulkar's, like all players, record will be more open to objective discussion in a decade or so when the people who grew up idolizing him phase out/become less dominant in the discourse. 

It seems to be a major trend across all the sports I follow, where a player is most staunchly defended by the people who grew up idolizing them, ie in BBall, all the 30-40+ fans/analysts all claim that MJ is the greatest basketball player to ever play, but people older than that group would say Bill Russell or KAJ and people younger say Kobe or Lebron.

IMO everyone will always favour those who they grow up with. 

I agree ....  a hinderance  to objective evaluation .... Even in films that can happen - "the actor, director,  etc., whom we grew up watching is the best" :lol: 

Also the issue of taking evaluation of pros/cons  of a player personally - if you say Sachin was not the greatest, x can feel bad; if you say Dhoni did not measure up, y can feel bad; if you say Kohli failed on this parameter, z can feel bad, and so on

Edited by zen