US open 2020

Cricketics

Sumit Nagal of India wins the first round. He beat Bradley Klahn 6-1, 6-3, 3-6, 6-1. Brilliant game today by Sumit. He took off first set too against Federer earlier this year in the Australian Open and now consistently making to the main draws of grandslams. This is great news for Indian tennis fans. His hard work is imminent. 

He bags $100k already just for entering round 2 of this grandslam. 

He will likely face Dominic Thiem provided Thiem wins his game tonight.  Will be tough but great to see Sumit finally plying against these big league players.

I just hope Nole and Thiem don't spend too much energy here, goal must be to stop Rafa at RG, to save tennis!!!! 2020 is already bad, will get worse if Fed's record GS count is equalled this year. Actually RG should never have been allowed to change schedule without consulting with ATP/WTA and other tourney directors. Very bad precedent set. 

Djoker will most likely win this year's USO, extremely depleted field and cakewalk draw till the very end. Based on his recent struggles in Cincinnati and the 2R of USO, he's visibly injured and out of form, but can still sleepwalk to the title. Says a lot about the current depths of the tour. 

1 hour ago, I6MTW said:

Djoker will most likely win this year's USO, extremely depleted field and cakewalk draw till the very end. Based on his recent struggles in Cincinnati and the 2R of USO, he's visibly injured and out of form, but can still sleepwalk to the title. Says a lot about the current depths of the tour. 

How? If you think Nadal or Fed were going to stop him, you are mistaken. Wawrinka has stopped being a serious contender for a while.

Nole last lost to Nadal in non-clay tourney in 2013 USO (dropped maybe 1-2 sets on HC these last 7 years) and there is no recovery after the mental scars inflicted in 2019 AO F. Against Fed I don't want to delve deep into their GS rivalry, it is there for all to see. Moreover Fed struggles in this new stadium cos of air circulation, humidity, his last USO win was in 2008 but in recent years has struggled against journeymen. If things go as per normal Nole will have to go through Goffin/Shapovalov (QF), Tsitsipas/Zverev (SF), Med/RBA/Thiem/Khachanov (F) to win the trophy. Not depleted, not a cakewalk draw for Nole, he would very much prefer to face Fed or Nadal rather than these younger players. Them not playing has actually worked against his favor, usually they take down these troublesome opponents of Nole and bend over in SF/F against him. 

PS: I think he won't win any more major this year. Energy is missing. 

Edited by Gollum

4 hours ago, Gollum said:

How? If you think Nadal or Fed were going to stop him, you are mistaken. Wawrinka has stopped being a serious contender for a while.

Nole last lost to Nadal in non-clay tourney in 2013 USO (dropped maybe 1-2 sets on HC these last 7 years) and there is no recovery after the mental scars inflicted in 2019 AO F. Against Fed I don't want to delve deep into their GS rivalry, it is there for all to see. Moreover Fed struggles in this new stadium cos of air circulation, humidity, his last USO win was in 2008 but in recent years has struggled against journeymen. If things go as per normal Nole will have to go through Goffin/Shapovalov (QF), Tsitsipas/Zverev (SF), Med/RBA/Thiem/Khachanov (F) to win the trophy. Not depleted, not a cakewalk draw for Nole, he would very much prefer to face Fed or Nadal rather than these younger players. Them not playing has actually worked against his favor, usually they take down these troublesome opponents of Nole and bend over in SF/F against him. 

PS: I think he won't win any more major this year. Energy is missing. 

None of the young gen have beaten Nole in a GS. At least Wawrinka, Nadal, Federer all have and are used to playing him at the big stages. Next Gen are all chokers , Zverev DFs at crucial stages, Medvedev is not the same player as he was last year, he already lost to Nole earlier this year. Tsitsipas has been thrashed by Nole in their previous meetings. Thiem is the best chance, but he doesn't seem to be in form, and even if he peaks, we all know what happened in the AO earlier this year. And it's not just Fed, Nadal, Stan, several other players are also missing, like Kyrgios, Fognini, etc. 

The only advantage other players have got is absence of a crowd, which may work in favour of them as Nole generally prefers an antagonistic crowd. 

4 hours ago, Gollum said:

Want Thiem to lose early here so that focus switches to clay, also a boost to his energy reserves, needs to be at 100% to take down Rafa at RG. 

I'd prefer he'd lose to Nagal if he were to lose early. But I'd like him to win both USO and RG, as he's the only player who stands a chance in reaching Year end NO 1, apart from Djokovic and Nadal. And if they both reach it, then Federer's 5 year end no 1's record, will be broken, with either Nole or Rafa with 6. 

3 hours ago, I6MTW said:

I'd prefer he'd lose to Nagal if he were to lose early. But I'd like him to win both USO and RG, as he's the only player who stands a chance in reaching Year end NO 1, apart from Djokovic and Nadal. And if they both reach it, then Federer's 5 year end no 1's record, will be broken, with either Nole or Rafa with 6. 

I have made peace with the fact (not just a possibility, a certainty now) that most of Fed's records will be broken. Wimbledon 2019 was the last straw. 

Edited by Gollum

Wow Djoker out, he has been defaulted. Hitting the ball to the lineswoman.

Shapovalov few years ago was worse and this time they took the decision on Djoker too. This will be talked for weeks. But Djokovic was looking angry after his first break.

And you can defend as much as you want, but rules in history says that moment you hit the ball  in anger or frustration and the ball goes onto hit someone on court or off the court, you have to concede the game. There has veen cases where people who have been hit have said that they are allrite and nothing has happened in that case. However this time the lady who got hit was struggling big time and had to be forced our of the court. 

This could have played differently had the lady who got hit would have said “I am okay.” However, Djoker did not have such luxury. 

Right decision made.

Lol, @Djoker. This is a comedy of errors. Struggling big time against PCB , showing visible frustration, up 40-0, only to lose break chances, gets broken himself, possible getting injured in the process, only to default at the end. This incident is going to last a long time in Djokovic's mind.

Holy smoke what happened there? Nole you clown, you stupid clown. None of the Big 3 in a semi since when?

Expecting Med or Thiem to win it now. But I will support FAA, Tiafoe, Shapovalov. Even Pospisil winning will be cool. 

17 hours ago, Gollum said:

Nole wasn't going to win this anyway IMO, he was running low on fuel. Now time to prepare on clay boy, hopefully this incident fires him up, Nadal has to be taken down at RG. 

Not really, he was miles ahead of all. He was getting better and better by game, just like Thiem is getting better by game. Started off slow in Cincinati, and Djoker just kept getting better every game. Anyway, its a lost cause for Nole, he is himself to blame.

FAA is out and Thiem is looking class right now, better than anyone. However i think Thiems biggest test is yet to come against a player who I believe will be a future grandslam winner - Alex Di Minaur arguably the fastest man on tennis court right now with all his slides and everything. i have seen him in person here also in DC, he is so quick. It will make a for a great watch day after tomorrow when the both meet. 

7 hours ago, Cricketics said:

Not really, he was miles ahead of all. He was getting better and better by game, just like Thiem is getting better by game. Started off slow in Cincinati, and Djoker just kept getting better every game. Anyway, its a lost cause for Nole, he is himself to blame.

FAA is out and Thiem is looking class right now, better than anyone. However i think Thiems biggest test is yet to come against a player who I believe will be a future grandslam winner - Alex Di Minaur arguably the fastest man on tennis court right now with all his slides and everything. i have seen him in person here also in DC, he is so quick. It will make a for a great watch day after tomorrow when the both meet. 

De Minaur doesn't have any weapons in jis game to rise to the top. He is more of a defensive grinder/pusher. Like a Simon, Hewitt type. There are so many players with more game and variety than him.

Thiem and Medvedev are the two favourites to win this. Followed by Zverev. Shapovolav has a slight chance if he manages to stay consistent, and makes less errors. Though his ROS is too poor.

It would be hilarious if Pablo Carrerno Busta, wins the whole thing after the whole Djokovic incident.