Studio Ghibli Movies

zen

51 minutes ago, Vijy said:

there are some that could be called Slice of Life but with a more dramatic feel. a silent voice and your name are two examples. marnie is a ghibli-like film but not the genre you asked for. one of my fav films in recent times, maquia, is an unusual mix of slice of life and heavy drama and fantasy. one good thing these days is that japan is moving beyond the ghibli dominance, and some amazing films are being made by other groups too

I have seen both A silent Voice and Your Name. Both were amazing. But I wouldn't quite call it similar to only yesterday or Ocean Waves. One has serious social message and another is a romantic fantasy drama. Both were great no doubt. But not exactly the genre's of the 3 I've mentioned. Yes, Japan makes good anime outside of Studio Ghibli.

7 hours ago, I6MTW said:

I have seen both A silent Voice and Your Name. Both were amazing. But I wouldn't quite call it similar to only yesterday or Ocean Waves. One has serious social message and another is a romantic fantasy drama. Both were great no doubt. But not exactly the genre's of the 3 I've mentioned. Yes, Japan makes good anime outside of Studio Ghibli.

They are definitely not the same as Only Yesterday, but I found a few similarities with Ocean Waves although they do deal with much heavier themes.