Studio Ghibli Movies

zen

Studio Ghibli films are nice. They're the only anime films to get nominated for the Oscars.

Grave of the Fireflies is one of my favourite s.

Two anime films which are not studio Ghibli but still make it as one of the best Animated films of all time are, Your Name(Kimi no Na Wa) and A silent Voice. Both are amazing , especially Your Name.

Edited by I6MTW

On 9/17/2020 at 1:59 PM, cric_fan said:

My personal fav is Spirited Away

Followed by Arrietty & Howl’s Moving Castle

IIRC, Spirited Away is the first (and only) anime to receive an Oscar 

On 9/17/2020 at 2:16 PM, Jimmy Cliff said:

Prefer Takahata to Miyazaki but both are legends. Grave of the Fireflies, Spirited Away and Only Yesterday are my picks.

If you have not checked out, you may also like the tale of princess kaguya (based on your taste) 

On 9/17/2020 at 2:18 PM, I6MTW said:

Two anime films which are not studio Ghibli but still make it as one of the best Animated films of all time are, Your Name(Kimi no Na Wa) and A silent Voice. Both are amazing , especially Your Name.

I ll check them out if on Netflix

On 9/17/2020 at 2:24 PM, The Realist said:

My Neighbour Totoro

Kiki's Delivery Service

Love the whimsical & dreamy nature of Ghibli films. Can emmerse and lose yourself in those beautifully created worlds. Never get boring on repeat watches either. 

I love the world created in these films! Can be a magical experience at times! 

22 minutes ago, zen said:

IIRC, Spirited Away is the first (and only) anime to receive an Oscar 

If you have not checked out, you may also like the tale of princess kaguya (based on your taste) 

I ll check them out if on Netflix

I love the world created in these films! Can be a magical experience at times! 

I don't think your Name is on Netflix. 

A silent voice is though. Both are great and rivalling Ghibli films.

Edited by I6MTW

Coming back to Studio Ghibli films - while each film has something in it to keep you interested, I will focus on the action adventure ones here in the order of release: 

• Nausicaa: The film that led to creation of Studio Ghibli. Nicely imagined post apocalyptic world. Brilliant background score. 
  • Castle in the sky: IIRC, first Studio Ghibli film. Beautifully created world of Laputa 
  • Porco Rosso: A comedy action adventure involving air pirates, seaplanes, etc., set in Adriatic Sea
  • Princess Mononoke: A fantasy set in the Muromachi period of Japan. Touches on the topic of environment  
  • Howl's Moving Castle: Probably has the best quality of detailed animation 

On 9/22/2020 at 9:37 AM, zen said:

Just watched Whispers of the heart, a nice heart warming feel good film!

Just watched Whisper of the Heart. One of the few anime films I hadn't watched till now. It was really good. Nice, light hearted, breezy, and quite realistic as well. This is the most underrated Ghibli film, or even one of the most underrated animation films. The song country roads(which is also one of my favorites) blends so well with the movie and the background. I'll put this among the top of my list of animation. 

On 9/17/2020 at 11:46 PM, Jimmy Cliff said:

Prefer Takahata to Miyazaki but both are legends. Grave of the Fireflies, Spirited Away and Only Yesterday are my picks.

Takahata was seriously underrated. Some of his films had a touch of realism to it.

Only Yesterday is a criminally underrated movie, if I found Whisper of the Heart to ve underrated, well Only Yesterday is even lesser known among the Ghibli collection. I'm surprised it has a relatively low rating (7.5) on IMDB and MyAnimeList.

This movie deserves an 8.5-9 at least. They way the film depicts perspectives of a human by comparing flashbacks between a child and the same child at the age of an adult was truly well done 

4 minutes ago, I6MTW said:

Takahata was seriously underrated. Some of his films had a touch of realism to it.

Only Yesterday is a criminally underrated movie, if I found Whisper of the Heart to ve underrated, well Only Yesterday is even lesser known among the Ghibli collection. I'm surprised it has a relatively low rating (7.5) on IMDB and MyAnimeList.

This movie deserves an 8.5-9 at least. They way the film depicts perspectives of a human by comparing flashbacks between a child and the same child at the age of an adult was truly well done 

Only Yesterday is one of the best films about nostalgia I've seen. I've got to checkout the The Tale of Princess Kaguya from Takahata. By all accounts the great man signed off on a high.

2 hours ago, Jimmy Cliff said:

Only Yesterday is one of the best films about nostalgia I've seen. I've got to checkout the The Tale of Princess Kaguya from Takahata. By all accounts the great man signed off on a high.

The Tale of Princess Kaguya is quite good with some eye-catching animation but for me doesn't reach the heights of a Kiki or a Totoro.

Edited by The Realist

On 10/22/2020 at 2:38 PM, I6MTW said:

Only Yesterday is my all-time fav Ghibli movie, more so than conventional favs like Spirited Away and Grave of the Fireflies. my list is rather unconventional though.

On 3/7/2021 at 10:46 PM, Vijy said:

Only Yesterday is my all-time fav Ghibli movie, more so than conventional favs like Spirited Away and Grave of the Fireflies. my list is rather unconventional though.

Watched The wind rises recently. Really good film. Of course the romance didn't happen in real life but the story and animation as such was worth it. I wouldn't say it's underrated since its probably more popular than Only Yesterday or Whisper in the Heart.

I also saw Ocean Waves. Had lots of plus and minuses. I like the slice of life genre, the animation and the story was good. The characters were pretty horrible to like . But overall quite different from other Studio Ghibli movies. Only Yesterday and Whisper of the Heart are better films from the same genre.

1 minute ago, I6MTW said:

Watched The wind rises recently. Really good film. Of course the romance didn't happen in real life but the story and animation as such was worth it. I wouldn't say it's underrated since its probably more popular than Only Yesterday or Whisper in the Heart.

I also saw Ocean Waves. Had lots of plus and minuses. I like the slice of life genre, the animation and the story was good. The characters were pretty horrible to like . But overall quite different from other Studio Ghibli movies. Only Yesterday and Whisper of the Heart are better films from the same genre.

agreed regd ocean waves. it's so unknown that I would call it underrated. but because I describe it as "underrated" doesn't mean it's a masterpiece or anything; just that it should be somewhat better known that what it is.

Wind Rises has gorgeous animation, a complex story, etc. it's a bit self-indulgent but I think it's an amazing film overall, even if not quite at the level of miyazaki's best films.

1 minute ago, Vijy said:

agreed regd ocean waves. it's so unknown that I would call it underrated. but because I describe it as "underrated" doesn't mean it's a masterpiece or anything; just that it should be somewhat better known that what it is.

Wind Rises has gorgeous animation, a complex story, etc. it's a bit self-indulgent but I think it's an amazing film overall, even if not quite at the level of miyazaki's best films.

Are there any other films/series like Ocean Waves, Only Yesterday, Up on Poppy hill,  Whisper of the Heart etc. Similar genre and feel. Doesn't have to be studio Ghibli. 

4 minutes ago, I6MTW said:

Are there any other films/series like Ocean Waves, Only Yesterday, Up on Poppy hill,  Whisper of the Heart etc. Similar genre and feel. Doesn't have to be studio Ghibli. 

there are some that could be called Slice of Life but with a more dramatic feel. a silent voice and your name are two examples. marnie is a ghibli-like film but not the genre you asked for. one of my fav films in recent times, maquia, is an unusual mix of slice of life and heavy drama and fantasy. one good thing these days is that japan is moving beyond the ghibli dominance, and some amazing films are being made by other groups too