Rahul Dravid's effectiveness in test cricket(currently)

Chaos

I very much agree. I don't think it was possible to score very freely against two 145+ kph bowlers on an uneven pitch. The pitch was nightmare-ish. I think he really did play well for his 29 out of the 106 balls, which is more important because had Dravid gotten out relatively quickly after Sehwag and Jaffer, it would've probably ead to a collapse, and Ganguly wouldn't have been able to play with such freedom, I think. OT: What a knock that was from Ganguly. Awesome stuff. Even Laxman played well for his 50.
I disagree with that. Its not like the pitch eased up massively or the South African bowlers lost their venom when guys like Ganguly, Dhoni and Yuvraj were batting. Yet, they all managed SRs in excess of 50. Dravid is spending a lot of time at the crease, but he isnt making it count enough. I am not questioning his place in the team, but I honestly feel, irrespective of match situation and opposition bowling, he must score at a SR of atleast 40. I dont think thats an unreasonable demand to make.

more then the runs scores i think it's important to see how he went around building partnerships with Laxman. Batted superbly with skill, courage and determination. Any runs are good runs on this wicket, if he had gotten out, we would have been in trouble for sure. Batting time is key in this test match because the pitch is cracking up with every single delivery. The more time you bat, the more runs you get, the more cracked the pitch gets, so you can limit ur 4th innings chase.

It could be the easiest wicket in the world and Dravid of the past 2 years would still go at a strike rate of around 30. It may be useful on a pitch like this(although everybody else had no problem playing at an acceptable SR) but on a better wicket he becomes a LIABILITY. We have already seen this on numerous tours lately. Dravid halting the momentum and killing the team in SA, in England and in Australia too until Sehwag's selection saved our butt. I really don't see the value of 20-30 runs off 100 balls on batsman friendly pitches(which is what you see on 70% of the Tests).

Yada Yada Yada!! Have heard similar things about all greats - so an advice - shove these comments somwhere.
Moronic comment- on a crumbling pitch where not a single batsman has scored in triple figures some jerk comes and proclaims without any analysis that a batsman is going to score a 100-another member says not likely based and you jump in as a hero worshipper maybe you need to stay where moon doesn't shine instead of telling others to shove their comments we are not here to religiously worship players 5 times a day- as for advice you may learn more from others kiddo if you try ot be modest instead of trying to come across as a condescending genius
Moronic comment- on a crumbling pitch where not a single batsman has scored in triple figures some jerk comes and proclaims without any analysis that a batsman is going to score a 100-another member says not likely based and you jump in as a hero worshipper maybe you need to stay where moon doesn't shine instead of telling others to shove their comments we are not here to religiously worship players 5 times a day- as for advice you may learn more from others kiddo if you try ot be modest instead of trying to come across as a condescending genius
Huh? No idea what this post is about, and has left me confused as to why post was quoted for this reply.

Dravid is going thru his worst phase as a Test batsman in many many years. But even during his worst phase, he has played some useful knocks (like his hardworking 29 at Kanpur or his match winning 90 at Perth, an almost match saving 2nd innings effort at Sydney or even a laborious 100 at Chennai). He is hurting our momentum for sure, as he seems out of place coming between Sehwag & Tendulkar, but we will have to hope that he will turn it around soon. Currently the only role he can play in this batting lineup, is holding one end up & let the innings build around him, which means he has to bat as an opener or no. 3. Pretty much all other slots are ruled out. Sadly, he doesnt look like, he will ever become the player he was few years ago. But he has enough class left in him to produce a useful 50 or two from time to time & soldier on at an average of 40

Dravid is going thru his worst phase as a Test batsman in many many years. But even during his worst phase, he has played some useful knocks (like his hardworking 29 at Kanpur or his match winning 90 at Perth, an almost match saving 2nd innings effort at Sydney or even a laborious 100 at Chennai). He is hurting our momentum for sure, as he seems out of place coming between Sehwag & Tendulkar, but we will have to hope that he will turn it around soon. Currently the only role he can play in this batting lineup, is holding one end up & let the innings build around him, which means he has to bat as an opener or no. 3. Pretty much all other slots are ruled out. Sadly, he doesnt look like, he will ever become the player he was few years ago. But he has enough class left in him to produce a useful 50 or two from time to time & soldier on at an average of 40
you were ready to drop Tendulkar a while ago too. Dravid will come back strong. To free up his mind and body a little bit, we should let him play at 6 for a while just like the Aussie series.
you were ready to drop Tendulkar a while ago too. Dravid will come back strong. To free up his mind and body a little bit' date=' we should let him play at 6 for a while just like the Aussie series.[/quote'] I was actually thinking about that but I realized that when he was dropped to #6, he was not our best #3 batsmanyet and he was quite young so he could work his way back up. However,now #3 for the Indian test team has almost become synonymous with Rahul Dravid (atleast for me, and he himself has mentioned several times that #3 is where he feels most comfortable). I think for the Sri Lanka series, since its not as high profile as the Australia series, we ought to let him play at #6 and let Laxman play at #3. Perhaps, he can regain his form as he will not be in a lot of pressure. I also think that dropping him out of the ODI team has affected him a lot (though he has not spoken a word about it). Partly because he was the captain after the England tour and 2 months later he found himself dropped from the ODI team and was unable to significantly contribute when he was given a chance in the ODI series against Australia. Perhaps, he feels that his spot in the test team is also under the scanner, though I cannot imagine India playing a test match without Rahul Dravid until after he retires. I think Kumble ought to talk to him and tell him to play freely. Something is wrong. Everone is able to sense it but no one is able to figure it out. I hope he does. Perhaps the IPL will be good for him. I don't know why but I feel very bad that he's in bad form.