This Question had to be asked for Jaffer...

Ram

This Question had to be asked for Jaffer...  

1. 1.

• Yes
    • No

IF he is dropped, and there is a good chance he will be, I doubt whether he can make another comeback into the Indian team. So potentially, we could be seeing Jaffer playing for India for the last time in the 4th innings.

I have another question. Is Veeru going to do this(big 150+ knock followed by 4-5 sub 30 scores?) his whole career?
I believe that I am right in saying that any Indian fan would be more than happy with that! On Jaffer, I personally feel it's time for a change, average of mid 30's is alright I suppose though he hasn't performed (bar the 75) on the big stage since pakistan double hundred. Gautam Gambhir really impressed me in Australia and I feel it's better to give him a couple of series now! I have also been saying that Ganguly should be the first of the 'BIG FOUR' to go but something tells me it will be Dravid as I believe that he knows his ability to put the bad ball away has declined in the last year or so but he can still graft for a long time but I believe he will say goodbye sometime next year.

Unless the conditions are loaded in favor of batsmen, Jaffer is gonna fail as an opener every single time. But that can be said about every pretty much all his replacements too. I dont have too much hope on Gambhir, but he does deserve a shot at the opener's spot. Gambhir surprised me with his form against quality attacks in Australia. He is definietely better than what i thought of him initially. But having seen so many cr@ppy openers in the past, I have come to the conclusion that, picking one opener over the other must simply be done based on form. None of them have the class to deserve unconditional backing, during their dips in form. I consider KKD, Jaffer, Gambhir, Chopra et al to be approx the same interms of class (Some would argue, Jaffer is marginally ahead of this lot & Chopra, a rung below). The only opener who deserves unconditional backing for now, is Veeru. Speaking of opener (I know this is a crazy thought), how about grooming Irfan Pathan as an opener ? He can become a batting allrounder, if he puts a bit more effort into his batting. His technique is better than most of our openers & I back him to be atleast as good as any of the alternatives, in the long term.

6 years ago, Jaffer had a twin failure with a dud LBW decision and was dropped. Another failure here wth another dud LBW decision - wheel coming full circle? As far as openers go, I'd just pick whoever's in decent form for the next year or so - whether Jaffer, Chopra or Gambhir, and wait until Rahane's ready. Once Rahane's got the exposure (Iranis/Duleeps/etc) to move to the big time, then pick him and stick with him for a dozen games or so and watch the runs flow.

He will come good against murali and vass and co in lanka.. keep him in the squad.. don't drop.. but yaa bring in Gambhir or Chopra in the squad too.. but yaa i don't want to see Jaffer being dropped.. i don't care if he didn't make any runs.. he i still one of the best opener in India

It'll be unfortunate if Jaffer is dropped, coz as Tics has pointed out, he is still a VERY good opening batsman with a fantastic innings building appetite. But, in these times of`extreme competition, he has pushed his luck a bit too far. Even till the beginning of this series, almost everyone was unanimous that Jaffer should be in the team, his failures in Australia notwithstanding. He has one chance to save his career in the 4th innings. Its almost do or die for him. Can he do it ?

Jaffer has sucked since the Australia tour and hasnt made any meaningful contributions in the current series either. He hasnt even lived upto his reputation of being a home track bully. I think its time to give an opportunity to other openers and see how things pan out. IMO they cant perform any worse than Jaffer.