Joe Root will beat Tendulkar's record : Geoff Boycott

Sgattick10

On 2/1/2021 at 4:46 AM, New guy said:

So using your logic, If a player has highest rating of 990 in one year and then averages below 10 for next 10 year, he is the greatest batsman of all time and better than someone who had highest rating over 850 for 11 years? Do you understand the difference between highest peak of one year and consistent performance over 20 years?

do you also understand how constantly playing 5 match test series and more tests might help cook more than someone like Sachin, who at his peak, mostly had to pay 2 match or max 3 match test series?

Rating is based on every game a player plays. Highest rating is a non subjective stat, totally objective. It means highest rating achieved by a player. And cook achieved higher.  I did not claim in my post that Cook was more consistent etc dont respond to straw men.

51 minutes ago, Vilander said:

Rating is based on every game a player plays. Highest rating is a non subjective stat, totally objective. It means highest rating achieved by a player. And cook achieved higher.  I did not claim in my post that Cook was more consistent etc dont respond to straw men.

Every game a player plays in around a year. Then he can suck for 10 years and his highest rating won't change. This is same like team rankings, india reached no 1 in 2009 but then their ratings came down. 

Its a useless metric which just shows the highest peak of a player. And of course players from countries who play more tests and more 5 match series will rank more than players from India in the 90s where Indian used to play 2 or at max 3 test a series and hence potential for points was less 

52 minutes ago, Vilander said:

All better in highest rating achieved yup if that is proven in icc all time rating. 

Its not an all time rating. It's the highest PEAK achieved by a player at one point. If a player socres heavily in 6 months and achieved peak and then sucks for 10years, his peak will remain the same 

2 hours ago, Vilander said:

Cook's highest rating was 874, lower than Sachin's peak of 898 if you check the links I posted

1 hour ago, New guy said:

Every game a player plays in around a year. Then he can suck for 10 years and his highest rating won't change. This is same like team rankings, india reached no 1 in 2009 but then their ratings came down. 

Its a useless metric which just shows the highest peak of a player. And of course players from countries who play more tests and more 5 match series will rank more than players from India in the 90s where Indian used to play 2 or at max 3 test a series and hence potential for points was less 

image.thumb.png.66b7b38dd8fc76a692ee5a9541316546.png

The rating system quite well encapsulates, actually, how well and how long Sachin dominated at the top

3 hours ago, New guy said:

Its not an all time rating. It's the highest PEAK achieved by a player at one point. If a player socres heavily in 6 months and achieved peak and then sucks for 10years, his peak will remain the same 

Correct peak is better. Its not an avg of all ratings its a point in time. No one can come close of longevity that Sachin achieved.  We know that already but many scaled more spectacular peaks that should be admitted as well. 

3 hours ago, New guy said:

Every metric is only useful for the story one is telling. Nothing is more useful than the other in themselves its the story that matters. If someone played and ranked higher thats factual one could subjectively have any opinion but facts don't care about ones emotions.