2021 Wimbledon

I6MTW

5 hours ago, Real McCoy said:

MJ and Agassi were not dominating. Agassi was getting consistently beaten from 03 onwards and MJ was not a success in Washington team. Its a slightly different dynamic in team sports where younger players in the team can help an older player with wisdom. Brady and James are also mentioned as GOATs. American sports are rife with doping and they don't even mind when someone gets caught.

In 98 when MJ went for his second retirement he was 35 I think and still the best player in the world. Yes, when he played for Washington he wasn't that good, but he was in his late 30s by then. 

Agassi wasn't number 1 like Djokovic but he was a top tenner from 2003-05 and even made slam finals. He also won a slam in 03 I think. Pushed and troubled peak Federer to 5 sets in US 04 and took a set off of him in 05 despite taking injections each round.

Yes doping exists everywhere, and I'm pretty sure every top player has means and ways of using substances withing legal boundaries, and they may not even get caught otherwise.

Lance Armstrong was the only one mainstream athlete that actually got caught doping, they had been investigating him for years. 

23 minutes ago, I6MTW said:

In 98 when MJ went for his second retirement he was 35 I think and still the best player in the world. Yes, when he played for Washington he wasn't that good, but he was in his late 30s by then. 

Agassi wasn't number 1 like Djokovic but he was a top tenner from 2003-05 and even made slam finals. He also won a slam in 03 I think. Pushed and troubled peak Federer to 5 sets in US 04 and took a set off of him in 05 despite taking injections each round.

Yes doping exists everywhere, and I'm pretty sure every top player has means and ways of using substances withing legal boundaries, and they may not even get caught otherwise.

Lance Armstrong was the only one mainstream athlete that actually got caught doping, they had been investigating him for years. 

Comparing MJ and Messi/Ronaldo  from team sports to Agassi/Sampras or Fed in an individual sport like Tennis is futile. MJ being #1 in NBA in 1998  is a stat based opinion. Tennis has slam count, ATA ranking based on individual wins, should keep NBA stars or Sachin out of this comparison.

We used to have different players winning in slams in the 80s, 90s but not so much after 00s. This is mainly because of slower courts and mental strength of fab3 or 4, to push the baseline game. Younger players want to finish off games and are not patient They focus on aces, serve and volley and winners. Big players are tough and patient, snooze you lose is the game

Edited by coffee_rules

On 7/11/2021 at 6:22 PM, nevada said:

This kid won junior Wimbledon! But his parents are insisting that he take up studies, going to Columbia University. Smart decision, because by the time he finishes his degree, Djoko and Nadal could still be winning slams.