British Colonial era Army regiments should be done away with - Casteism

coffee_rules

These caste regiments don’t make any sense in 2021. They are all Sikhs from same region. There should regional regiments to get representations from all regions of India - Karnataka has a Kodava region where there is a tradition of Army representation in each family. Others from Karnataka cannot join that regiment. Others are part of a Madras regiment.

Anybody from Army background or Army family can enlighten on us this system

8 hours ago, coffee_rules said:

These caste regiments don’t make any sense in 2021. They are all Sikhs from same region. There should regional regiments to get representations from all regions of India - Karnataka has a Kodava region where there is a tradition of Army representation in each family. Others from Karnataka cannot join that regiment. Others are part of a Madras regiment.

Anybody from Army background or Army family can enlighten on us this system

I see your point. But coming from my dad who had a brief stint in the army;

- the bulk of the army is of jawans and foot soldiers. A lot of these are from poorer backgrounds which means their thinking has not changed to reflect the modern 21st century. Due to this mixing jawans of different castes regions or even religions can be a suicide move as there won’t be that kinship and brotherhood which would rendeer the army useless as these jawans wouldn't even eat together let alone fight.

- officers have no restrictions like this and true secularism is shown in this area. A Muslim officer can lead a Hindu regiment and take on the festivals and worships with his men. A Sikh officer will fast with his regiment if they have a lot of Muslim soldiers. There is no restriction for officers to join a regiment. There is a personal choice if they do wish but generally it doesn’t matter. 

The government would probably would want to model the army on a modern outlook and do away with caste based segregation but they are cautious over the short term rebellion it could cause. I still think regional based regiments should continue.. even UK army has regional regiments, Scots, Welsh, Yorkshire etc but there’s no restriction of admission for soldiers.

5 hours ago, Khota said:

Indian Army is one of the most shining example of integration. There are no issues in the Army with religion etc. Anand Ranganathan is belitteling a system that has served India well for century plus.

He never mentioned religion, only castes. But @LordPrabhzy has a valid point. It is more to do with war response rather than anything else

1 hour ago, coffee_rules said:

He never mentioned religion, only castes. But @LordPrabhzy has a valid point. It is more to do with war response rather than anything else

@LordPrabhzy has a good response. The commanding officer of Gurkha regiment could be someone from south and similarly Maratha regiment could have someone from north. I know a lot of folks who have served and thnakfully Army is one institution not crippled by casteism or religion etc. 

Just look at west and everyone on this forum should count their blessings how professional Indian Army is. So unlike the Pakistani army.

6 hours ago, Khota said:

@LordPrabhzy has a good response. The commanding officer of Gurkha regiment could be someone from south and similarly Maratha regiment could have someone from north. I know a lot of folks who have served and thnakfully Army is one institution not crippled by casteism or religion etc. 

Just look at west and everyone on this forum should count their blessings how professional Indian Army is. So unlike the Pakistani army.

Two of my dads cousins have been in the Armed forces, one in the navy and the other in the army. The latter fought in Kargil. So the army is very close to my heart- I agree with your point. Our army is one of the most professional and disciplined one in the world. If I was fit enough I’d volunteer to join 

On Thu Sep 23 2021 at 5:38 AM, Yoda-esque said:

British created martial races and built regiments precisely to divide.

Coz previous arrangement didn't work out well for India as far as I know there was pathetic caste based Armies in ancient & medieval India which were main reasons for Muslim conquest & several invasions.  Current system worked wonders in both World wars & after Independence as well.  Indian Army is a prestigious & proven institution & in a diverse country it is crucial to maintain its sanctity. Actually   One of the good work of British raj this.