Initial impression of teams (T20WC 2021)

zen

When I am trying to identify which teams could go to the next stages, I am looking at a) form of impact players, b) innovation, confidence and coordination, and c) luck ... Since this is a tournament where major teams play other major teams in early matches, they also need to get off the blocks quickly. If you strike form later on, it could be late as remaining games could be against minnows. 

Group 1 

Aus v SA: Really loved SA's catching but Aus could have something going on here. In both the warm up games, it got pushed. Here too, its lower middle order got some valuable game time. Luck could be preparing Aus here so it is up to it to take opportunities. 

Eng v WI:  In 2019, I had put my money on Eng.  When you look at Captain Morgan, he looks like a tournament winning captain. Somehow, things appear to fall in their place for him. I will keep an eye on him. 

As far as innovation (relatively speaking) goes, did not see much apart from the field placements of SA, which traditionally has set high fielding standards. At boundaries, they had their fielders standing in to go for close catches (appeared to be not bothered about giving boundaries). Many teams would have their fielders back trying to save the boundary. So thumbs up to SA for that. 

WI: Over the hill

Eng: mentally fragile. A tougher game and situation and they will choke

Didnt see Aus vs SA but seems like it was a close contest. Both teams are underrated but dangerous. One of them will spring a big surprise and might even go all the way

From qualifiers

Good performance by Namibia and Scotland but the way Srilanka and Bangla got practice to assess the conditons and the way they are peaking, watch out for some surprises there

Ind v Pak

Pak was all fired up. Pak can be an on and off team so would need to remain focused esp. since it plays NZ soon. The team has the talent to win the tournament if it remains consistent. 

They way India went around in warm ups, I felt that the team was due for a big failure. I prefer teams to stretch themselves in warm ups  like Aus and NZ, even Pak got to work on their death bowling due to the assault by SA in warm ups (a blessing in disguise). Ind has invested in poor big match players like the openers Rohit and KL so would need a big change in trend to make things happen for it. India also plays formulaic cricket where L-R combination is preferred and probably conducting match-ups without understanding how the data was formed ... No need to say that the players would need to give their best against NZ. 

Edited by zen