MSD of today is no longer big hitter in ODIz

bobbydhillon

why u ppl saying goni the man of the match? scoring a six in the last over at crucial time doesn't mean u should be man of the match had it been from chennai side, it should have been given to the guy who took 2 wickets and scored valuable runs, that is Albie Morkel.

gambhir should have been man of the match being on the losing side shouldnt matter. in intl cricket, many times the man of match happens to be from the losing side. and it wasnt gambhirs fault that 15 runs were scored off the last over
alwayz only dilli player for @MiTz$

Hez an 'anchorman'! :(( Talking abt ODIz an Indian-team matchez...I think MSD has lost his big hitting like he did 185+ vs SL! :((
Umm but we are winning matches no? I don't care if in the next WC his strike rate is 75, if he can bring the cup back home...we all know his big hitting prowess, so if he can stow that away and play responsibly, then it shows his maturity he's not in his teens for a while unlike Afridi :haha:

Guest Hiten.
Hez an 'anchorman'! :(( Talking abt ODIz an Indian-team matchez...I think MSD has lost his big hitting like he did 185+ vs SL! :((
...atleast get the facts right :haha::haha: It was 183*

Umm but we are winning matches no? I don't care if in the next WC his strike rate is 75, if he can bring the cup back home...we all know his big hitting prowess, so if he can stow that away and play responsibly, then it shows his maturity he's not in his teens for a while unlike Afridi :haha:
we need MSD to blaze away...not play Kaif-like put...put ...nudge-poke cricket

yep MSD has infact lost the art i wud say..he used to hit sixes at will..well he can do that now also..but he has become much more patient nowadays and he doesn go for it unless the situation demands so..well i aint complaining coz v are winning a lot under him..so go MSD :two_thumbs_up:

He is the captain and he leads by example - I haven't yet seen him give his wicket away for a meaningless shot in the ODIs. Unfortunately, in Test Matches (in the recent ones against SA), he has gone for some big shots and got out cheaply but in ODIs he has preserved his wicket and produced some great knocks under pressure at a fair rate as well (not 60-70 but 80-85+). But I also think its because captaincy is relatively new and right now he is able to be an anchor and an attacking batsman at the same time and so he will probably stick to this type of batting rather than his 'Gilly' type batting of the past 2-3 years.

Actually, its an excellent observation. Dhoni's big-hitting prowess is definitely on the wane.
Its not on the wane, he's simply been figured out. He is still a very good ODI batsman, but because of his limited no. of shots, he can whack only certain type of deliveries for boundaries on a consistent basis. All bowlers know by now that if they pitch it up, or bowl too short to Dhoni, they are toast. Even spinners dont pitch it up to Dhoni. So no sane bowler is gonna serve up boundary balls to Dhoni. Dhoni is powerful, can hit the ball hard, but is not an expert at improvising or placing the ball where he wants. (I have seen Sachin, Yuvraj and more recently Rohit Sharma do that consistently, when they are in the mood). Besides, Dhoni himself has mellowed down a bit because of increased responsibilities. All this means, its not gonna rain boundaries everytime he goes out to bat, like it used to before. But inspite of his decline in big hitting, he still maintains a healthy strike rate, which combined with his great average, makes him one of the best ODI batsman of this era.

^ Good post, Bumper. Kind of echoed my thoughts and just as a rejoinder puts Gilchrist's achievements into perspective where if one can say he was "figured out", it was in the last couple of seasons of his international career and even then managed to play THAT innings in the WC final last year.