Make in India - objectives, progress and discussion thread

Trichromatic

Make in India Programme was launched by PM Modi on 25 September 2014 to encourage companies to manufacture their products in India. The basic objective of this plan was to increase the share of the manufacturing sector in the Indian GDP.

Major objectives

1. creating 100 million jobs in the manufacturing sector by 2022,

2. Increasing the sector’s share of the GDP to 25 per cent by 2022 (later revised to 2025)

3. Ensuring it achieved an annual growth rate of 12 - 14 per cent. 

The Indian Manufacturing sector currently contributes 16-17% to GDP and gives employment to around 12% (2014) of the country's workforce.

Current share of manufacturing sector is 14.43%.

Even before covid, growth was sluggish. This was published in Sep 2019.

Economic slowdown: Manufacturing growth sluggish at 7%, share in GDP stagnant at 16%; urgent need of more than just a policy overhaul

https://www.firstpost.com/business/economic-slowdown-manufacturing-growth-sluggish-at-7-share-in-gdp-stagnant-at-16-urgent-need-of-more-than-just-a-policy-overhaul-7338301.html

18 minutes ago, Trichromatic said:

Major objectives

1. creating 100 million jobs in the manufacturing sector by 2022,

2. Increasing the sector’s share of the GDP to 25 per cent by 2022 (later revised to 2025)

3. Ensuring it achieved an annual growth rate of 12 - 14 per cent. 

The Indian Manufacturing sector currently contributes 16-17% to GDP and gives employment to around 12% (2014) of the country's workforce.

Current share of manufacturing sector is 14.43%.

Even before covid, growth was sluggish. This was published in Sep 2019.

Economic slowdown: Manufacturing growth sluggish at 7%, share in GDP stagnant at 16%; urgent need of more than just a policy overhaul

https://www.firstpost.com/business/economic-slowdown-manufacturing-growth-sluggish-at-7-share-in-gdp-stagnant-at-16-urgent-need-of-more-than-just-a-policy-overhaul-7338301.html

What is your take on the objective? Good or bad or wistful? 

34 minutes ago, bharathh said:

What is your take on the objective? Good or bad or wistful? 

Not sure if I got the question correctly. How can objectives be bad? Maybe sometimes. But most of the time objectives are forward looking

I can set an objective of becoming a millionaire by 2020s. But then both actual achievement and how am I trying achieve matters. 

On 2/11/2022 at 6:19 AM, Trichromatic said:

Not sure if I got the question correctly. How can objectives be bad? Maybe sometimes. But most of the time objectives are forward looking

I can set an objective of becoming a millionaire by 2020s. But then both actual achievement and how am I trying achieve matters. 

There is something called “Unicorn” designation and its similar to how China have been and still persuing. I have seen the list of companies and it is growing rapidly.

Just to make people understand the valuation and importance of unicorn, Each Unicorn can be comparable to something like TCS Wipeo of Infosys in early 2000 years. They all are valued over billion USD and i can bet most people here haven’t heard of 90% companies in that list.

My personal opinion is, if these unicorn could manage even 25-50% collective average pace of say likes of TCS, CTS , you can see massive change of fortunes of Indians in next 10-15 years.

31 minutes ago, mishra said:

There is something called “Unicorn” designation and its similar to how China have been and still persuing. I have seen the list of companies and it is growing rapidly.

Just to make people understand the valuation and importance of unicorn, Each Unicorn can be comparable to something like TCS Wipeo of Infosys in early 2000 years. They all are valued over billion USD and i can bet most people here haven’t heard of 90% companies in that list.

My personal opinion is, if these unicorn could manage even 25-50% collective average pace of say likes of TCS, CTS , you can see massive change of fortunes of Indians in next 10-15 years.

How many unicorns fall under Make in India scheme?

Just now, Trichromatic said:

How many unicorns fall under Make in India scheme?

Make in India was allways flawed if by make in India, you want to make shoes , cloths and so on. If make in India is means getting likes of Foxconn, VW  ,  Samsung , IBM, Dell , BMW , Investment Banking, Chemicals and defence sectors manufacturing in India, I am all in. I am sure common sense prevailed in Gvmnt and they came with idea of Unicorn and targeted manufacturing as there is no way making shoes and cloths doesn’t takes you to the same age as Englands  age of Industrialisation.

4 hours ago, mishra said:

Make in India was allways flawed if by make in India, you want to make shoes , cloths and so on. If make in India is means getting likes of Foxconn, VW  ,  Samsung , IBM, Dell , BMW , Investment Banking, Chemicals and defence sectors manufacturing in India, I am all in. I am sure common sense prevailed in Gvmnt and they came with idea of Unicorn and targeted manufacturing as there is no way making shoes and cloths doesn’t takes you to the same age as Englands  age of Industrialisation.

Make in India isn't my (or anyone's) opinion or my understanding or what I want. 

It's a govt initiative with specific objectives of the govt. 

There shouldn't be any if. 

4 minutes ago, Trichromatic said:

Make in India isn't my (or anyone's) opinion or my understanding or what I want. 

It's a govt initiative with specific objectives of the govt. 

There shouldn't be any if. 

Proper assessment in terms of manufacturing output can only happen in NOT covid era.

Govmnt has to be judged in output and growth in the high end sectors. 

Edited by mishra

4 hours ago, mishra said:

Proper assessment in terms of manufacturing output can only happen in NOT covid era.

Govmnt has to be judged in output and growth in the high end sectors. 

Make in India didn't start in covid era. It was started in 2014 with objective of increasing manufacturing sector to 25% by 2022 from 16% in 2014. By 2019 it was stuck at 16%.