What are the reasons / logic behind these strange decisions by the TM and Selectors for the WC 2022

8 hours ago, Nikhil_cric said:

Rinku has slight technical issues which might get exposed. Worth trying but I'm not sure.  Jitesh is really good and my line up has too many LHB's anyway so if Pant is not fit and Ishan continues to struggle on slow pitches, he can be there. He is a technically strong player and offers a keeping option as well. 

If India were to look at tests,ODI's and T20's as exclusive formats, I'd be more comfortable with the likes of Rinku and Nitish coming in.

But that ain't happening. So might as well back youngsters with potential and those with a relatively strong technical base and back them for the full 4 year cycle. 

By 2027, these guys should have enough experience and be given a solid run(We gave our current captain a 100 chances before he became what he is now) Chopping and changing is why we end up on the eve of the World Cup wondering whether SKY can crack the format or if Ishan can bat in the middle order.

Sai's timing rating (according to Cricviz) is second only to Shubman in our entire white ball setup. And he did well in Emerging Asia Cup and in IPL. Also, he's a left-hander. We have seen enough.  Got to back players with ability who are more likely to succeed at the top level than backing guys like Venky Iyer whose window of opportunity to play for India has passed imo. Ditto with Nitish.

Also, Hardik is either an all-rounder who hits at 7 or he should not play at all. Otherwise, we'll play safe and not develop a part-time spinner and in the last minute, complain TINA - therefore, we need 6 bowlers and drop a batter.

Tilak has to be made aware that his selection is contingent to developing his part time offspin skills.

This 4 year cycle has to implement all this - and we actually have top flight left handed batsmen for a change!

Can't afford to lose this lot. It has the makings of an extremely dominant white ball side across both formats with a very high ceiling.

Otherwise, we will be talking about the same issues even in 2027

Rinku is good in FC too, so technically okay.  Wanted Sai at 4, but Tilak offers bowling.Jaiswal can bowl too.

Venky and Rana both did well this year. We have to encourage such players to develop culture of batters bowling.

Yes T20 team should be exclusive. Requirements are not same as ODIs.

Hardik,Tilak,Jaiswal make up 5th-6th bowlers. But he doesn't need to bat at 7 for that. Need a dasher there.

5 minutes ago, Lord said:

Rinku is good in FC too, so technically okay.  Wanted Sai at 4, but Tilak offers bowling.Jaiswal can bowl too.

Venky and Rana both did well this year. We have to encourage such players to develop culture of batters bowling.

Yes T20 team should be exclusive. Requirements are not same as ODIs.

Hardik,Tilak,Jaiswal make up 5th-6th bowlers. But he doesn't need to bat at 7 for that. Need a dasher there.

If it is exclusive then I don't mind. The problem is this. There are not going to be too many bilateral ODIs in this cycle.  So the young guys have to play as much white ball as possible. 

Our FC is not the best place to judge technique .

Sai is an absolute gem of a top 3 batter . Won't do much at 4 I think. 

You don't need 6th bowler in T20Is.  For only 4 overs? 

I know both Venky and Rana did well but I want Rinku , Venky , Rana as backups whenever available much like how England use Phil Salt or Billings  - just on the fringes of selection. 

I want the most gifted players identified and just backed for a good amount of time so that they can gel into a really good side with a strong core. 

When was the last time we had that? This is not an argument for Sai. If there is someone whose ceiling is higher ,then invest in him instead .

If we don't invest in a core group for a long time, they don't get enough experience. 

KL has played so many years and not even 75 ODIs I think.  That's ridiculous 

We can all hate on KL but experience does matter .

You have to give long , consistent runs to guys who you think have a high ceiling and help them in their learning curve .

We haven't actually done that after Shikhar .  Not in white ball cricket. 

We keep chopping and changing and then we realise that we need somebody who had been discarded .

Shami was absolutely horrible at times. Took wickets but got smashed .

He was still continuously backed. 

And he came good in 2015 World Cup.

But now we don't have anyone who has been backed and got experience so we go back to tried and tested older guys. 

That has to stop. 

We gotta stop treating cricketers like call centre employees - 10 heads for price of one. 

Just because there is an endless supply doesn't mean we should ruthlessly chop and change every other series .