JOE ROOT FAN CLUB

35 minutes ago, Nikola said:

1. Recency bias. Smith obviously had greatest peak a modern day test batsman could have and it was for quite long but his downfall will be quite poor. Root has got around 15 hundreds in last 2-3 years where as smith 1/3 of that. If both keeps going at same pace for next 2-3 years then root should end up ahead for me.

2. There will be difference of around 5k runs between both which is huge. 

3. Talking about average root should retire around 51-52 if he maintains his form till retirement where as smith should end up with 55-56 and 4-5k less runs than root.

4. Don't forget root is young, will play more test matches in next few years, has simple and good technique and with bazball he will get good pitches too now.

recency bias applies more to root than smith since the former is at the peak, so anything seems possible. once he starts declining, then the recency bias is exposed. people were saying cook, punter, etc. would all overtake sacchu on various fronts (runs for cook; avg for punter).

Edited by Vijy
1 hour ago, Nikola said:

Root should end up as best test batsman of his generation. Smith has had great peak but big decline too. Root's longevity and number of runs scored would count in his favor too. He has to continue his form for next 2-3 years which he should be able to do with his nice batting technique. 14-15k runs with average around 50 is good for me. Should get 40 centuries by the time he retires.

In this so-called "big decline", he still has an avg of 40-odd. root's "big decline" is yet to come.

18 minutes ago, ungboysj said:

Smith amy have better stats at present but he is very boring to watch 

Root is silk as smooth

Further Smith has played half his match in flat Australia 

root has played 14 tests in the so-called "flat australia". do you know how many runs he's made there? Aus pitches have more bounce than any place in the world aside from SA. it explains why root has not done well there.

Smith is like chanderpaul. people can diss his batting style as much as they want, but he is a highly efficient run machine who has scored almost everywhere. and he started off as an AR in tests

48 minutes ago, Vijy said:

root has played 14 tests in the so-called "flat australia". do you know how many runs he's made there? Aus pitches have more bounce than any place in the world aside from SA. it explains why root has not done well there.

Smith is like chanderpaul. people can diss his batting style as much as they want, but he is a highly efficient run machine who has scored almost everywhere. and he started off as an AR in tests

Kohli syndrome for Root in Australia dangled the bat far too often . Most of the time full ball he would dangle the bat and edge to keeper.  10 out of 25 caught behind. Few caught in the sliips. Wasim Jaffer used to get out match after match against Brett Lee in Australia. 

There was also a case of Root not converting 50s into 100s during a period. That was not just in Australia everywhere. He has 9 fifties in Australia. I think he is much better now. If Yasir Shah.Gobar Azam, Azhar Ali (double 100) can make a 100 there i am sure Root can make one.

1 minute ago, vvvslaxman said:

There was also a case of Root not converting 50s into 100s during a period. That was not just in Australia everywhere. He has 9 fifties in Australia. I think he is much better now. If Yasir Shah.Gobar Azam, Azhar Ali (double 100) can make a 100 there i am sure Root can make one.

Who is he? Never saw him bat before or even heard before.

4 hours ago, vvvslaxman said:

Kohli syndrome for Root in Australia dangled the bat far too often . Most of the time full ball he would dangle the bat and edge to keeper.  10 out of 25 caught behind. Few caught in the sliips. Wasim Jaffer used to get out match after match against Brett Lee in Australia. 

it's because the bounce surprises him. had he played in sabina park in 80s and 90s, WI bowlers would have been very dangerous vs him

4 hours ago, vvvslaxman said:

root toured Aus multiple times, not just in that period of making 50s

1 hour ago, Vijy said:

it's because the bounce surprises him. had he played in sabina park in 80s and 90s, WI bowlers would have been very dangerous vs him

No worse than any Pakistanis. He should be good. One series he got caught up in Mitchell storm. Not just him even guys like KP was given a real work over.

2 hours ago, vvvslaxman said:

No worse than any Pakistanis. He should be good. One series he got caught up in Mitchell storm. Not just him even guys like KP was given a real work over.

Pakistanis in WI like miandad and abbas didn't do great. bounce + pace is not a combo most can handle