JOE ROOT FAN CLUB

i love this guy batting

after ugly and uwatchable batting leadership from smith and kohli , here is a guy who is as good as anyone ever played the game and is a treat to the eyes.

only if u watch him operate in test closely u will find he very rarely leaves any ball and never looks in trouble.

that is why he is most consistent batsman out there . 

yes only 29 hundred but 56 fifty also, if only he was selfish about hundreds he would have had minimum 40 by now.

also bats in some of toughest conditions in england and still average 50+.success across the world

its just a joy watch him bat and i love his watch bat

all fans join in this thread for this underrated legend

Edited by ungboysj
9 hours ago, Majestic said:

The most complete batsman since Tendulkar..his batting has perfection and he makes it look so easy.

how is he more complete than smith? smith is currently in decline, but people seem to easily overlook his monstrous peak of several years, especially given that he was originally selected as bowling AR.

Root on current form is my fav batter right now, but that doesn't mean that I am blind to smith's greatness

26 minutes ago, Vijy said:

how is he more complete than smith? smith is currently in decline, but people seem to easily overlook his monstrous peak of several years, especially given that he was originally selected as bowling AR.

Root on current form is my fav batter right now, but that doesn't mean that I am blind to smith's greatness

Smith has been no doubt the most effective batter of the four and ahead in Test cricket but I was talking about completeness in pure batsmanship. Smith has an ugly technique and especially the way he leaves balls outside off sometimes is pretty unwatchable. His success has been more down to fast hand eye coordination and hunger of runs rather than pure batsmanship.

Root had concentration lapse issue in first half of his career which he resurrected in second half but he was always technically proficient and aesthetically pretty good to watch. His game always had the fluency too. He has been pretty good vs all types of bowling and all types of conditions. That's the pure batsmanship in which Root always looked in the best class of the Fab Four and now he seems to have converted that class into runs too although he is behind Smith in Tests and Kohli in LOIs.

2 minutes ago, Majestic said:

Smith has been no doubt the most effective batter of the four and ahead in Test cricket but I was talking about completeness in pure batsmanship. Smith has an ugly technique and especially the way he leaves balls outside off sometimes is pretty unwatchable. His success has been more down to fast hand eye coordination and hunger of runs rather than pure batsmanship.

Root had concentration lapse issue in first half of his career which he resurrected in second half but he was always technically proficient and aesthetically pretty good to watch. His game always had the fluency too. He has been pretty good vs all types of bowling and all types of conditions. That's the pure batsmanship in which Root always looked in the best class of the Fab Four and now he seems to have converted that class into runs too although he is behind Smith in Tests and Kohli in LOIs.

so, your argument is basically aesthetics. in that case, the word "complete" is not appropriate. root also has issues with oz pitches

smith did better in eng than root, and in Oz better than root. he is comfortably the more complete batter of the two insofar as run-making is concerned

Edited by Vijy
21 minutes ago, Vijy said:

so, your argument is basically aesthetics. in that case, the word "complete" is not appropriate. root also has issues with oz pitches

smith did better in eng than root, and in Oz better than root. he is comfortably the more complete batter of the two insofar as run-making is concerned

Aesthetically and technically both Root is better than Smith.. Smith's strength is his hunger of runs and been able to dominate once he gets himself in the zone. Root used to have concentration lapse.

On 3/3/2023 at 12:18 AM, Majestic said:

Aesthetically and technically both Root is better than Smith.. Smith's strength is his hunger of runs and been able to dominate once he gets himself in the zone. Root used to have concentration lapse.

have not seen any evidence that smith is weaker than root technically. yes, right now, he is in decline, but over the course of the entire career, I don't see technical noteworthy deficiencies. and smith is certainly more run-hungry. there is a reason why smith and root have a diff of about 10 in avg

Edited by Vijy
21 minutes ago, ungboysj said:

There is no doubt he is best batsman of this generation infact best after Sachin Lara generation

Views?…

after smith, as I already wrote in the thread. root will need to keep up this run scoring for 3-4 more years and score heavily in Aus to overtake smith.

He is a great player but contrary to popular belief I don't think he is great to watch.

The following players are much better to watch when in full flow, the problem is most of the Indian batsman have not been in flow since 2020:

Rohit Sharma

Virat Kohli

Babar Azam

S Gill

KL Rahul

He does not have the repertoire of shots the batsman above have. 

Root should end up as best test batsman of his generation. Smith has had great peak but big decline too. Root's longevity and number of runs scored would count in his favor too. He has to continue his form for next 2-3 years which he should be able to do with his nice batting technique. 14-15k runs with average around 50 is good for me. Should get 40 centuries by the time he retires.

3 minutes ago, Nikola said:

Root should end up as best test batsman of his generation. Smith has had great peak but big decline too. Root's longevity and number of runs scored would count in his favor too. He has to continue his form for next 2-3 years which he should be able to do with his nice batting technique. 14-15k runs with average around 50 is good for me. Should get 40 centuries by the time he retires.

Good to watch him bat a well. No ugly movements like Smith.

30 minutes ago, Nikola said:

There is no way Root can end up better than Smith. Smith will also retire with 10k + runs so longevity wise he would also be good enough.
Smith is already the greatest batsman since bradman having surpassed Sachin with better consistency and 10 times more impact.
I dont think Root will even come close to Sachinor Lara, let alone Smith

3 minutes ago, Adamant said:

There is no way Root can end up better than Smith. Smith will also retire with 10k + runs so longevity wise he would also be good enough.
Smith is already the greatest batsman since bradman having surpassed Sachin with better consistency and 10 times more impact.
I dont think Root will even come close to Sachinor Lara, let alone Smith

1. Recency bias. Smith obviously had greatest peak a modern day test batsman could have and it was for quite long but his downfall will be quite poor. Root has got around 15 hundreds in last 2-3 years where as smith 1/3 of that. If both keeps going at same pace for next 2-3 years then root should end up ahead for me.

2. There will be difference of around 5k runs between both which is huge. 

3. Talking about average root should retire around 51-52 if he maintains his form till retirement where as smith should end up with 55-56 and 4-5k less runs than root.

4. Don't forget root is young, will play more test matches in next few years, has simple and good technique and with bazball he will get good pitches too now.