Possible Test Squad for Aus 2024/25

14 minutes ago, express bowling said:

We play 4 pacers in most venues in SENA these days, except Sydney type pitches. 

Yes, good point. It can be 4 out of Shami, Siraj, Bumrah, Akash Deep, and ?? [need to try out a 5th pacer who is not undercutter/mukesh]

1 hour ago, Vijy said:

good team, except for the glassman sundar. he has regressed badly. can't bowl long spells (he could do that once) and his batting has lost much of his tightness. even axar or ashwin offer more AR value, and kuldeep is a much better bowler.

This is my XI:

Sharma

Jaiswal

Gill

Kohli

Rahul (or Sarfaraz on pattas)

Jurel

Jadeja

Kuldeep/ Ashwin (can bat decently enough at 8)

Shami / Siraj

Akashdeep/ Siraj

Bumrah

Guys, guys - this team on paper looks incredible.

On paper Bumrah, Shami, Akashdeep(or the great Harshit), Kuldeep, Jadeja look better than - much better than

a)Trueman, St atham, Bailey, Lock, Laker    OR  a) Hall, Griffith(never played in Aus as "prime"), Sobers, Gibbs

Maybe they look even better than Roberts, Holding, Croft, Garner  OR Ambrose, Walsh and Bishop.

However this team on paper reminds me of the Pak 1999 team that  toured Australia with a lot of noise and fanfare and were destroyed there 3-0. That Pak team was

Pak

Saeed Anwar

Mohammad Wasim

Ijaz Ahmed

Inzamam Ul Haq

Mohammed Youssef

Azhar Mahmood

Moin Khan

Wasim Akram

Saqlain Mushtaq

Waqar Younis

Shoaib Akhtar

On paper it is a good team - but these teams do not do well in Australia for England, Pak and even the non-78to95 WI.

In Australia when they have a committed good team what works is a couple of dour blunting batsmen like prime Geoff Boycott or a prime Peter May/Colin Cowdrey or a Faf/Pujara like batsman. You also need a "mean" fast bowler like a Frank Tyson or a John Snow.

Unlike the Rahane team which surprised Aus or the surprise by Shamar Joseph - I think the Indian teams mentioned here will go with a lot of fanfare, lot of noise, a lot of expectation and get beaten to a pulp.

I would pick good but boring over good and flashy which starts, starts with bulk up the batting.

Edited by AKane
1 hour ago, AKane said:

Guys, guys - this team on paper looks incredible.

On paper Bumrah, Shami, Akashdeep(or the great Harshit), Kuldeep, Jadeja look better than - much better than

a)Trueman, St atham, Bailey, Lock, Laker    OR  a) Hall, Griffith(never played in Aus as "prime"), Sobers, Gibbs

Maybe they look even better than Roberts, Holding, Croft, Garner  OR Ambrose, Walsh and Bishop.

However this team on paper reminds me of the Pak 1999 team that  toured Australia with a lot of noise and fanfare and were destroyed there 3-0. That Pak team was

Pak

Saeed Anwar

Mohammad Wasim

Ijaz Ahmed

Inzamam Ul Haq

Mohammed Youssef

Azhar Mahmood

Moin Khan

Wasim Akram

Saqlain Mushtaq

Waqar Younis

Shoaib Akhtar

On paper it is a good team - but these teams do not do well in Australia for England, Pak and even the non-78to95 WI.

In Australia when they have a committed good team what works is a couple of dour blunting batsmen like prime Geoff Boycott or a prime Peter May/Colin Cowdrey or a Faf/Pujara like batsman. You also need a "mean" fast bowler like a Frank Tyson or a John Snow.

Unlike the Rahane team which surprised Aus or the surprise by Shamar Joseph - I think the Indian teams mentioned here will go with a lot of fanfare, lot of noise, a lot of expectation and get beaten to a pulp.

I would pick good but boring over good and flashy which starts, starts with bulk up the batting.

You're absolutely right. this is the greatest lineup of all time. they are so good that this Ind team would have smashed the WI of the 80s 6-0.

Two can play at your game.

Bumrah will play 2 games and will quit the series. 

Shami will play 3 gamws max

Siraj will get hit every game for over 100 runs in each innings. 

Akashdeep will be the lone fighter but he will become bald by the end of the tour given the workload he will be forced to carry. 

We wont have pant either. 

Jurel will get founf out vs pace and bounce. We will be forced to bring back bharat who will average 10 in the series.

Harshit rana will debuted after 5 years

Batting will get exposed. Rahul to become captain after rohit rage quits. 

Kohli will average below 20 in the series and will want to go back home after the third test.

16 hours ago, express bowling said:

We must try Harshit Rana when fit.

We can’t play four pacers with none of them being Shardul, that will make our lower order brittle.

As we saw last time in Aus, lower order batting wins matches and series.

Ashwin, Hanuma in SCG and Sundar, Thakur at Brisbaine

1 hour ago, Adamant said:

We can’t play four pacers with none of them being Shardul, that will make our lower order brittle.

Withour bowlers having batting ability at 8 and 7, dont bother touring imo. 

You need a 7 and 8 who can bat.

Sundar/jadeja for 7 swap and rotate 

8 will be thakur/ash depending on pitch

Or get rana if he is groomed correctly

2 hours ago, Adamant said:

Both Akashdeep and Harshit can bat somewhat and can bat at 8. 

Harshit has a century in Ranji Trophy. 

Jadeja will bat at 7.

And if a team has to consistently depend on lower order batting to win matches, it means that there is something wrong with the selection methodology and poor quality batters are being chosen and bowlers have to cover for this at the cost of bowling ability. Away wins cannot sustain and it did not in 2022 and 2023. 

Edited by express bowling
19 hours ago, express bowling said:

Both Akashdeep and Harshit can bat somewhat and can bat at 8. 

Harshit has a century in Ranji Trophy. 

Jadeja will bat at 7.

And if a team has to consistently depend on lower order batting to win matches, it means that there is something wrong with the selection methodology and poor quality batters are being chosen and bowlers have to cover for this at the cost of bowling ability. Away wins cannot sustain and it did not in 2022 and 2023. 

No great team ever played four number elevens from 8 to 11 and that includes the GOAT teams.

India should never play four pacers who avg below 10, Akashdeep is a proper tailender, lets see how good Rana is, we want at 25 aceraging batsman at number 8 and I am quite sure Rana won’t be able to manage that.

You are wrong about playing four pacers and no we won’t win matches like that.Batting strength matters.

26 minutes ago, Adamant said:

No great team ever played four number elevens from 8 to 11 and that includes the GOAT teams.

India should never play four pacers who avg below 10, Akashdeep is a proper tailender, lets see how good Rana is, we want at 25 aceraging batsman at number 8 and I am quite sure Rana won’t be able to manage that.

You are wrong about playing four pacers and no we won’t win matches like that.Batting strength matters.

Yep goat team is west indies had marshal who averaged 14.5 with bat

Holding with 15 ish

Davis with 14 

Roberts with 18 average.

What excuse does our tail enders have

Just spoilt brats 

31 minutes ago, Adamant said:

Imo dont bother playing if you cant find a bowler who cant tonk at 8

And even 9 for 15 runs atleast

It is mighty important

Its a joke our bowlers cant bat.

3 hours ago, Kron said:

Yep goat team is west indies had marshal who averaged 14.5 with bat

Holding with 15 ish

Davis with 14 

Roberts with 18 average.

What excuse does our tail enders have

Just spoilt brats 

Marshall averaged 19 with the bat not 14 , also he had 10 fifties in international tests.

I am quite sure Akashdeep and Rana are not that good with the bat.

Marshall had seven first class centuries too including centuries in County cricket.

This was in 80s when actually the tailenders weren’t supposed to be good bats.

I don’t even want to imagine four below 10 averaging batsmen from 8 to 11. 

23 minutes ago, Adamant said:

Even Aussies who were filled with great batsmen and wicket keeper bat had Lee, Warne and Gillespie all of whom are better batsman than our current crop of bowlers

Lee averaged close to 20

Warne too

Zero excuses for our tail to not bat

2 hours ago, Adamant said:

Even Aussies who were filled with great batsmen and wicket keeper bat had Lee, Warne and Gillespie all of whom are better batsman than our current crop of bowlers

going even further back to 1940s -- Bradman's Invincibles had Keith Miller (an ATG AR), Ray Lindwall (almost a bowling AR, with batting avg of 21 on uncovered pitches), Ian Johnson (batting avg of 18.5).

I don't think there has been any team off the top of my head among the true greats (e.g., 40s Aus, 70s SA, 80s WI, 90s/00s Aus) that had a bowler at no. 8 with a batting avg less than 17-18.

13 hours ago, Adamant said:

Marshall averaged 19 with the bat not 14 , also he had 10 fifties in international tests.

I am quite sure Akashdeep and Rana are not that good with the bat.

Plus he was Marshall with the ball ...... including the 19 average it helps to be considered better than Holding, Garner and Roberts with the ball.

Edited by AKane