Buildup to ICC Champions Trophy 2008

@pjilka...thats the breaking story....But only time will tell whether they are really serious.Get the impression that they don't want to be accused as money hunters for their IPL participation. Boycotted the Pak tour and nothing has changed in Pak after that.

http://icc-cricket.yahoo.com/ct-2008/ct-news/2008/june/ct-news20080618-6.html Pakistan captain Shoaib Malik has revealed his desire to win the ICC Champions Trophy in September in front of home support. “It is my dream to captain my country to victory in the ICC Champions Trophy on home soil and my team will be doing everything we can to convert this dream into reality,” said Malik, who earlier in the week captained his side to a famous 25-run win over India. He also believes the fact this is the biggest event to take place in Pakistan since the ICC Cricket World Cup over ten years ago means that there will be a fantastic atmosphere for the matches. “This is the biggest cricket event to come to Pakistan in over a decade. I am sure that there will be a fantastic atmosphere for some of the biggest games and that the people of Pakistan will make it a happy and memorable event,” he said. Malik also believes that the new eight-team format, featuring the elite teams and players in world cricket, will generate great excitement, especially as so many of the top ODI sides are evenly matched at the moment. “The new format of the event should mean that there are lots of exciting matches, especially as I don’t think there is that much to separate many of the teams in ODI cricket at the moment in 50-over cricket,” said Malik. “The fact we beat India earlier this week, who showed what a good side they are when they beat Australia earlier this year, means that it will be very difficult to predict the outcome of matches. I think this could be one of the most closely contested tournaments for a long time.”
Guest dada_rocks

He is hallucinating even in last india .pak one day series they won one match chasing 300+ it means zilch.. as of today there is sucha big gulf in collective ability of both teams that unless some exceptional performace happens 9 out of ten times india will beat pakistan..

He is hallucinating even in last india .pak one day series they won one match chasing 300+ it means zilch.. as of today there is sucha big gulf in collective ability of both teams that unless some exceptional performace happens 9 out of ten times india will beat pakistan..
:two_thumbs_up:

Pakistan is in the same group Australia and India are? What the hell. Even West Indies can pull some upset win out of nowhere. Either India or West Indies will advance with Australia. I am nervous about Pakistan :nervous: Look at the bright side, it will be nice competition for Pakistan to play the team like India and Australia. COME ON PAKISTAN ! Jeetengay Jeetengay Pakistan Jeetengay ! :--D

BCCI backs Pakistan to host Champions Trophy BCCI backs Pakistan to host Champions Trophy 5th Jul 2008 17:04 IST Agencies The Board of Control for Cricket in India (BCCI) has asserted its support to Pakistan for hosting the Champions Trophy. BCCI secretary, Niranjan Shah has said the successful organisation of the Asia Cup has shown the world that the game is on in Pakistan. The Australian media had claimed that the BCCI was keen on postponing the Champion Trophy rather than relocating it, if security concerns arise. However, Shah dismissed the reports. ''As always, BCCI is with PCB. We have never asked or thought of postponing ICC Champions Trophy. No question was raised about the tournament during the ICC meetings in Dubai and everybody agreed that it will be held in Pakistan. I think the tournament will go without any doubt,'' Shah said. Shah also said, ''We have never raised questions regarding security in Pakistan for the Champions Trophy.''

Security threats are very much legitimate at least for AUSTRALIA/ENGLAND. For a layman to understand why AUSTRALIA in particuclar is paranoid about security is the fact that Australia and England are the biggest contributors in NATO arrangement of military campaign against Talibaani Islamucks waging a bloody war in tribal areas of Pakistan. Regular bombing by NATO forces in FATA/NWFP has made all western travellers in Pakistan more vulnerable than any other Nationality. Baitulla Meshud, in past had openly called for suicide attacks on NATO country members/westerners in particular. Comparing them with Bangladesh, SL and India would a naivette. India in particular, so far has done nothing against Talibanies to irk them and generate same amount of hostility for herself as westerners, except India has lost a couple of road engineers from construction companies. So I would say, BCCI should stay away from this mess. God forbid, if something happens, world will be quick to tear apart BCCI for so called pressure tactics.