In appreciation of unsung heroes from beyond yonder...

We refer to our neighbors with epiphets such as Pakis; call the Aussies convict *****s; and dont even spare the docile Kiwi on occassion. Thus i am taking upon myself the burden to regress the balance and praise some of the contemporary (the operative word) players from beyond the borders: Chapter 1: Younis Khan Began as a horrendous middle order wannabe batsmen for our dear neighbors to the west and had a miserable average of 30-31 against attacks around the world, however, when playing India, he would acquire a Bradmanesque average of early 90s in test matches and a healthy 50 odd in ODIs. In a mere three test matches held in India in 2005, he transformed from a thorn in the side to a key wicket as he plundered runs on pitches that were certainly not flat against an attack of Irfan, Zaheer, Anil, Harbhajan and Balaji. His monumental double century in the Bangalore test, followed by a quick fire 50 odd was the pillar upon which stood a magnificient Pakistani, series leveling win. Thereafter, he has transformed into a taciturn batsmen who has the elements needed for a successful, deliberate and intelligent captain; though internal politics not withstanding, he has had to relinquish the post. Currently, i rate him, besides Misbah Ul Haq and Yousuf Youhana as one of the most promising if not the very best middle order batting lineup, in Test matches, and possibly ODI cricket too (i am sure clark, hussey and ponting would have a thing to say about that, but thats for another day). I rate this guy as a great asset to the game for he is neither beligerent like his predecessors Wasim and Imran who would cast to the wind any concerns of unsportsmanlike display; and nor is he jingoistic in his display, often jesting on the field, and upon his own shortcomings. For instance, his little gesture of lifting his bat to acknowledge a run scored after two successive ducks in a span of one ball in two matches brought a smile to his most skeptical critics and dislikers. He scored a magnificient century then to guide Pakistan to victory in the Kitply Cup (which evidentally, as some others here pointed out, air brushed out of the frame the obvious pit falls of the side, only to have them exposed when the frame was put under tighter scrutiny as it was earlier today); and again today, he was pivotal in guiding Pakisan to a competitive total. A good 5 dozen short of what would have stretched India's capability, but competitive nonetheless.

if there is one player..i like in Pakistani team..its Younis Khan... His nature and attitude makes him different from others... He is a hard working player..who has evolved his game...probably on the lines of Rahul Dravid.. it seems he is quite educated as well...it shows in his demeanor and body language.. He does not resort to filthy abuses that his fellow team members indulge in.. i also liked Inzi for this reason..who believed in doing his job..than showing off..

The Pak player I like the most is Shoaib Malik. Ok, he might not be the best captain but his batting against us has been incredible. I feel that he is going to be a thorn in our flesh and that he is going to make tons of runs in all future ODI series. He once had the following run of scores against us: 75 65 41 72 90 95 108

From their team in the 90s, apart from the obvious choices like Wasim and Saqi, I really liked the scrappy Moin Khan. He was always upto a challenge and rescued Pak a few times when their top order had fallen apart. His sweep 6 off Donald was probably the shot of the 1999 world cup.

Once again, the every vigilant warhorse delievered... unfortunately, outside Misbah Ul Haq, his team is packed with top notch baboons who play with their wickets in the same festive manner as their wild, jungle dwelling cousins fondle their excreta: with disdain and ill regard. I am beginning to feel sorry for both Younish Khan and Misbha Ul Haq... they are both brilliant sportsment and deserve better. maybe they will migrate to england like saqlain mustaq and make it into a team that is worth a little more than a dime.

From the older generation: Wasim Akram: best bowler I have ever seen Inzamam: Purely for his cool chilled out approach and amazing ability of playing both spin and swing. (and the comedy only he can create). He has some serious negative points though. From the current lot: Misbah: Like Ravi said, nerves of steel. A very dedicated and talented cricketer.

Once again, the every vigilant warhorse delievered... unfortunately, outside Misbah Ul Haq, his team is packed with top notch baboons who play with their wickets in the same festive manner as their wild, jungle dwelling cousins fondle their excreta: with disdain and ill regard. .
Oh dear, THX. That's kinda harsh, innit, notwithstanding the somewhat overstated eloquence?

Other than Younis Khan I can't see any other player that enjoys his cricket in Pakistan. It's not like the rest can't play but it's just that the rest aren't confident enough and struggle mentally. Younis Khan was also one of those blokes in the past but he has learnt to understand cricket is 5% talent and 95% psychological. You can teach a person technique but you can never quite teach how to bring out the best when there is a need. This either has to be learnt by following certain mind techniques or by experience. Younis Khan is the only Pakistani that seems to enjoy playing under pressure. The rest of the squad looks like they are **** scared to trust their own abilities or just doesn't enjoy any kind of pressure.

Other than Younis Khan I can't see any other player that enjoys his cricket in Pakistan. It's not like the rest can't play but it's just that the rest aren't confident enough and struggle mentally. Younis Khan was also one of those blokes in the past but he has learnt to understand cricket is 5% talent and 95% psychological. You can teach a person technique but you can never quite teach how to bring out the best when there is a need. This either has to be learnt by following certain mind techniques or by experience. Younis Khan is the only Pakistani that seems to enjoy playing under pressure. The rest of the squad looks like they are **** scared to trust their own abilities or just doesn't enjoy any kind of pressure.
what about misbah ul haq... he seems quite good too! other than that, umar gul is a breath of fresh air, pity he is injured!