Dhoni pulls out of SL test series

Why not put test cricket over IPL? Is money everything to you are playing with pride for your country. Some players do put the national shirt over the money of IPL. Note the ausseis only played part of IPL and sacrificed money to ensure they can pull on the baggy green jersey. Dhoni is a mercenary! Money hungry!
He is the captain of his IPL side and was expected to play. The BCCI offered him a rest in this Test series and he took it. Stop looking to incriminate players at every opportunity like the fickle fan who you are revealing yourself to be.
No he doesnt. He has been poor in tests. He is pathetic and shows a complete lack of character and integrity. Is ducking the challenge of a tough test series. Many other players have been through tough schedules as well but will play! He should be stripped of all captaicies and never should be selected for a test match again. His bank balance is full so why bother play tests. What a loser! I am sure his team mates wont forget his cowardness and I am sure in long run selectors will remember this. I know I wont. Never heard of an indian player resting himself for a big test series. Real tough job playing cricket for crores. Talk about being out of touch with reality.
What a sad, pathetic, drama queen you are. I guess you must have insulted your parents the same way when they decided to take vacations with the family and take you along. You must have been really disapointed that your dad took time off work to enjoy some days off vacationing with his family! What a loser right? :haha: After all you're a bastion of robotic work ethic right? You never take any time off work, and God forbid you spend any time on message boards like the ICF during work etc to chat. It's dumbass fans like you that spoil it for the rest of us folks.
Fickle. I am not fickle its Mr Show Pony Dhoni who is fickle!
You cannot call someone fickle if they are faced with standards never seen before. No other cricketer has ever been expected to play the sheer quantity of games that Dhoni has in such a short time.
What a sad, pathetic, drama queen you are. I guess you must have insulted your parents the same way when they decided to take vacations with the family and take you along. You must have been really disapointed that your dad took time off work to enjoy some days off vacationing with his family! What a loser right? :haha: After all you're a bastion of robotic work ethic right? You never take any time off work, and God forbid you spend any time on message boards like the ICF during work etc to chat. It's dumbass fans like you that spoil it for the rest of us folks.
Amateur attempt at abuse:hysterical:You have to do better then that with your humour and abuse:hysterical:

The uproar over Dhoni’s withdrawal from the Srilankan tour, varies from misplaced praise for courage, to indifference to hypocritical statements of honor and integrity to outright hatred. For most cricket fans in this site, cricket is a passion, a never ending love affair, for some if not all players (must be a significant percentage) it is a job, something they are very good at, something they enjoy doing and something they get paid huge amounts of money for. Just because we as fans feel that representing India in a Test series is the ultimate honor for a cricketer, it need not be the same for every fan and need not be the same for every player too. The fans of penmanship and letter writing, of the days gone by, cry and ridicule about the advent of emails, for them the emails are the ultimate realization that the world has lost its innocence. For the fans of Test cricket (including me), the advent of ODI’s was a big enough curse but the introduction of 20-20 and the entire hullabaloo following it, is downright sacrilegious or the final nail in the coffin for cricket purity. If Test cricket needs to be saved (I don’t know if “Need” is the right word although I hope it will be), it should come from the organizations like ICC and BCCI, and it is unfair to expect it to come from the players as such. Nobody in their sane mind will work harder and earn less when the opposite is available, that is just the harsh reality. Do any of us do full time social service or pro bono work? Or will we do it full time if we have 100 million dollars in our bank accounts? Those who really do are the very few, very brave and the very great individuals. 99.99% of the humanity craves for one of these things: Money, power or fame, and there is nothing wrong with that as long as they do not follow unlawful or immoral paths to achieve these objectives. The point whether Dhoni has the heart to be the captain of the Indian Test Team though is a very valid line of questioning. I hope BCCI keeps this in mind before appointing the next captain for the Indian Test Team. Unfortunately there are no big alternatives if we take out the Seniors (Sachin, Dravid, Gang, Laxman and Kumble). Sehwag’s is too cavalier with his approach to batting, Yuvi is not in the test team, Gambir is too green so are the rest. Will be interesting to see who will succeed Kumble. Ultimately it is about economics and personal preferences (be it money or family or anything else) and we as fans cannot judge the decision although BCCI as the employer can (at least I hope they will) take these into consideration while awarding captaincy or contracts.

The uproar over Dhoni’s withdrawal from the Srilankan tour, varies from misplaced praise for courage, to indifference to hypocritical statements of honor and integrity to outright hatred. For most cricket fans in this site, cricket is a passion, a never ending love affair, for some if not all players (must be a significant percentage) it is a job, something they are very good at, something they enjoy doing and something they get paid huge amounts of money for. Just because we as fans feel that representing India in a Test series is the ultimate honor for a cricketer, it need not be the same for every fan and need not be the same for every player too. The fans of penmanship and letter writing, of the days gone by, cry and ridicule about the advent of emails, for them the emails are the ultimate realization that the world has lost its innocence. For the fans of Test cricket (including me), the advent of ODI’s was a big enough curse but the introduction of 20-20 and the entire hullabaloo following it, is downright sacrilegious or the final nail in the coffin for cricket purity. If Test cricket needs to be saved (I don’t know if “Need” is the right word although I hope it will be), it should come from the organizations like ICC and BCCI, and it is unfair to expect it to come from the players as such. Nobody in their sane mind will work harder and earn less when the opposite is available, that is just the harsh reality. Do any of us do full time social service or pro bono work? Or will we do it full time if we have 100 million dollars in our bank accounts? Those who really do are the very few, very brave and the very great individuals. 99.99% of the humanity craves for one of these things: Money, power or fame, and there is nothing wrong with that as long as they do not follow unlawful or immoral paths to achieve these objectives. The point whether Dhoni has the heart to be the captain of the Indian Test Team though is a very valid line of questioning. I hope BCCI keeps this in mind before appointing the next captain for the Indian Test Team. Unfortunately there are no big alternatives if we take out the Seniors (Sachin, Dravid, Gang, Laxman and Kumble). Sehwag’s is too cavalier with his approach to batting, Yuvi is not in the test team, Gambir is too green so are the rest. Will be interesting to see who will succeed Kumble. Ultimately it is about economics and personal preferences (be it money or family or anything else) and we as fans cannot judge the decision although BCCI as the employer can (at least I hope they will) take these into consideration while awarding captaincy or contracts.
Did you guys read that? Holy shyte, that's really eloquently put, Triam! Do you not think that there is a fundamental difference between playing for your country and a 9-5 job though? These are role models, fabulously rich people, who perhaps owe more to the nation and its people than you or I. Nevertheless, wonderful post.

Thanks Dhondy, coming from you I am very flattered. Maybe the role models and fabulously rich people can do more for the country or people, and it would be great if they do it, but I don’t think they are obligated to do it, since they are doing a more than good job in their primary occupation to become role models and fabulously rich.

:two_thumbs_up::two_thumbs_up: I tried expressing similar sentiments in multiple posts but you have put it all in one succinct and informative post - we should admire those who choose to the grind of test cricket over the lure of the Rupee but we can't really hold it against them. An overwhelming majority of us does the same and criticizing such actions is a bit hypocritical.
The uproar over Dhoni’s withdrawal from the Srilankan tour, varies from misplaced praise for courage, to indifference to hypocritical statements of honor and integrity to outright hatred. For most cricket fans in this site, cricket is a passion, a never ending love affair, for some if not all players (must be a significant percentage) it is a job, something they are very good at, something they enjoy doing and something they get paid huge amounts of money for. Just because we as fans feel that representing India in a Test series is the ultimate honor for a cricketer, it need not be the same for every fan and need not be the same for every player too. The fans of penmanship and letter writing, of the days gone by, cry and ridicule about the advent of emails, for them the emails are the ultimate realization that the world has lost its innocence. For the fans of Test cricket (including me), the advent of ODI’s was a big enough curse but the introduction of 20-20 and the entire hullabaloo following it, is downright sacrilegious or the final nail in the coffin for cricket purity. If Test cricket needs to be saved (I don’t know if “Need†is the right word although I hope it will be), it should come from the organizations like ICC and BCCI, and it is unfair to expect it to come from the players as such. Nobody in their sane mind will work harder and earn less when the opposite is available, that is just the harsh reality. Do any of us do full time social service or pro bono work? Or will we do it full time if we have 100 million dollars in our bank accounts? Those who really do are the very few, very brave and the very great individuals. 99.99% of the humanity craves for one of these things: Money, power or fame, and there is nothing wrong with that as long as they do not follow unlawful or immoral paths to achieve these objectives. The point whether Dhoni has the heart to be the captain of the Indian Test Team though is a very valid line of questioning. I hope BCCI keeps this in mind before appointing the next captain for the Indian Test Team. Unfortunately there are no big alternatives if we take out the Seniors (Sachin, Dravid, Gang, Laxman and Kumble). Sehwag’s is too cavalier with his approach to batting, Yuvi is not in the test team, Gambir is too green so are the rest. Will be interesting to see who will succeed Kumble. Ultimately it is about economics and personal preferences (be it money or family or anything else) and we as fans cannot judge the decision although BCCI as the employer can (at least I hope they will) take these into consideration while awarding captaincy or contracts.
What a terrific post Triam and some of the very very valid points that ypu've raised. Till Dhoni himself doesn't explain what forced him to take rest and hence opt out of the test series, the supporters as well as critics of his this step will only keep on speculating. In my opinion Dhoni has proved in past 3 years that he has a superb attitude and is really a sincere player. So I think before questioning his this step and calling him all sorts of name, we should wait for Dhoni's reasons to come out and till then we must give him the benefit of doubt!
Great post triam! :top: We, as fans, are guilty of putting our heroes on such high pedestals where they are supposed to be the epitome of wholesome goodness, honour and patriotism. We even like to picture them with beatific smiles and halos around their heads. We forget that they never asked to be role models for these values. They are just like us. Just looking to make a living and slipping the 'doing it for my country' jig every now and then to whip up frenzy. After all, just like actors and actresses, they are part of the entertainment business aren't they?