Dhoni to receive Rajiv Gandhi Khel Ratna

Feed

Dhoni to receive Rajiv Gandhi Khel Ratna India's one-day and Twenty20 captain Mahendra Singh Dhoni was on Tuesday chosen for the Rajiv Gandhi Khel Ratna award, the country's highest honour for a sportsperson. He becomes only the second cricketer after Sachin Tendulkar to receive the award after leading India to victory in the Twenty20 World Cup in South Africa.. To his credit, Dhoni has 1,418 runs from 29 Tests and 3,600 runs from 115 one-dayers. More... Dhoni conferred with Khel Ratna Press Trust Of India New Delhi, August 04, 2008 First Published: 21:47 IST(4/8/2008) Last Updated: 21:50 IST(4/8/2008) India's one-day and Twenty20 skipper Mahendra Singh Dhoni was today conferred with the Rajiv Gandhi Khel Ratna award, making him only the second cricketer after Sachin Tendulkar to be bestowed the country's highest sporting honour. An expert committee, chaired by Milkha Singh, today met here to discuss the nominees and they chose Dhoni for the award leading India to the Twenty20 World Cup triumph. Hailing the decision, BCCI President Sharad Pawar said Dhoni is a deserving winner as he has shown exemplary leadership to become an icon for millions. "Dhoni has been declared the recipient of the Rajiv Gandhi Khel Ratna Award, the country's most prestigious sports award. "He has represented the country with distinction, and deserves the honour," Pawar said in the statement. "His exemplary leadership and demeanour under pressure, especially in the ICC World Twenty20 and the tri-series in Australia, mark him out as the ideal role model for millions of young Indians who want to make a mark in life," he added. Meanwhile, BCCI Chief Administrative Officer Ratnakar Shetty also lauded the decision. "On two occasions, we felt let down when Rahul Dravid didn't get Khel Ratna and Yuvraj (Singh) was denied Arjuna. Dravid was in good form, we had won 16 ODIs on the trot and the team was on a high -- still he did not get the award. "Yuvraj too was unlucky not to get Arjuna after two years of consistent performance. We are happy Dhoni got it," Shetty told 'Times Now' channel. Shetty said what impressed him most about Dhoni was the way he conducted himself. "What I like most about Mahi, apart from his cricket, is the way he leads. He is a cool customer and never gets agitated. I'm also impressed by his clarity of thought," he added. The wicket-keeper batsman will, however, find it difficult to attend the awards ceremony on August 29 as he would be participating in the upcoming ODI series against Sri Lanka after pulling out from the Test series due to exhaustion. To his credit, Dhoni has 1,418 runs from 29 Tests and 3,600 runs from 115 one-dayers. Behind the stumps, the right-hander has taken 186 catches and effected 186 stumpings in Tests and ODIs since making his international debut in 2004.

It has to do with the award itself. Rajiv Gandhi Khel Ratna is given for the best sporting performance in the last year. It's not related to one's performance throughout the career. In that sense, it's easier for somebody not playing a team sport to get it. You have to shine in the Asian Games/Olympics/World Championships. And in some year, when nobody shines, then a cricketer will get a chance.

This is a digrace. How has this guy who has only been in the game 10 minutes won a national award. While real legends like Dravid and Kumble who have sweated blood and tears for their country in all forms of the game for years and years and performed brillinat distinction get nothing. It really is sad it has come to this. It shows the celebrity culture we are gripped in were flashy smiles, stylish hair cuts and clever funny soundbites get you recognition rather then actual hardcore performance on the field.

One more award loses it's value! Seriously...this is too much. A guy like Kumble gets the highest number of wickets for an Indian but gets anda...and this guy gets this. Sick!BCCI is nothing but a baniyon ki dukaan.....
The thing is that we don't have too many sportsmen of quality and this was bound to happen. For the first few years, it maintained a certain standard but there is hardly anyone with some class left. Sehwag may win one soon. Kumble, Dravid and Ganguly now probably never will. After that we will have to stoop to Harbhajan or Yuvraj if we are to find someone even in cricket.
This is a digrace. How has this guy who has only been in the game 10 minutes won a national award. While real legends like Dravid and Kumble who have sweated blood and tears for their country in all forms of the game for years and years and performed brillinat distinction get nothing. It really is sad it has come to this. It shows the celebrity culture we are gripped in were flashy smiles, stylish hair cuts and clever funny soundbites get you recognition rather then actual hardcore performance on the field.
It was a lose-lose situation for the selectors, dsr. On one side, if Dravid or Ganguly were picked in the early 2000s, there would be many to complain that cricket is yet again being favoured and the other sports are being ignored. Since they did pick people from other sports, RSD etc went past their prime; now they have no one eligible left in the other sports and are forced to pick cricketers from the second tier.
wat has Dhoni done to receive this prestigious award??
Get loads of headlines in the media! Dravid and Kumble live sensible, married lives and are down to earth top pros. They do there talking with bat and ball for their country. Dhoni is the publics and medias darling so he gets the award over much better players. Who have also been much better players for much longer periods.
You changed your tune. Earlier in this thread you said he deserved it. Changed your mind?
Didnt you read this? :D
O.K, now that I think about it, that may have been a bit of an exaggeration. :-D Isnt the Khel Ratna the highest award for sports recognition in India? Dhoni deserves some award, but maybe not the Khel Ratna.
Your post earlier indicates you have changed your mind then:--DClearly my arguments have been persuasive!:D
Yea right.. I already blew a gaping hole in your 'Dhoni is a traitor' theory... Since then, your ramblings against him have mellowed down considerably.. :winky:
Dhoni is reminding me of Beckham. All PR and glamour but no real quality as evidenced by his below average test carrer. At least Beckham was always desperate to play for his country' date=' Dhoni cant even be bothered to do this![/quote'] Got to agree. Style over substance always wins , my friend .
Yea right.. I already blew a gaping hole in your 'Dhoni is a traitor' theory... Since then' date=' your ramblings against him have mellowed down considerably.. :winky:[/quote'] MM, I remember some time ago , me posting something to the effect that Dhoni is an average player of spin bowling and about his in ability to read Murali's doosra . You vehemently opposed this viewpoint . I am vindicated . This guy chickened out of this series . I still maintain that he is an average player of spin bowling . For course, I am speaking from test cricket perspective only ...