India A vs Australia A in India 2008-09 (SuperSelector added)

Chandan

It is not a secret that Australia is looking out for a spinner in their squad after all of their veteran spinners retired. And a test series in India cannot be played without a spinner in the squad. But how will Australia decide which is the best spinner from their own resources? They have come up with a fabulous plan of sending their A team to India just prior to the test series to play 2 unofficial tests as well as 5 one dayers. This would not only be enough to acclimatise all their fringe players but would also decide as to who is the spinner who would be best suited for the pitches in India. Spinners get their chance in 'A' squad Spinners Bryce McGain, Beau Casson and Jason Krejza are in a three-way race for the vacant spin berth in the Australian Test side after being named in a 14-man squad for Australia A's tour to India. Simon Katich will lead a squad featuring only one other player with Test experience for the tour from September 3-26. The start of the tour will clash with the final two matches of Australia's one-day series against Bangladesh, meaning players such as David Hussey, Shaun Marsh and Shane Watson were not considered. Selectors will consider performances from the two three-day matches at the start of the tour before finalising their squad for the four-Test tour of India in October and November. The naming of McGain, Casson and Krejza in the squad is the clearest indication yet the trio head the list of names waiting to replace Stuart MacGill and Brad Hogg, who both announced their international retirements earlier this year. Casson made his Test debut in the third and final Test against West Indies earlier this year, while McGain, despite a career-best season last summer, and Krejza are uncapped at international level. "Ahead of the approaching Indian Test series Australia have also taken the opportunity to have a look at three spinners in the 14-man squad for the three-day games who are considered exciting prospects," said NSP chairman Andrew Hilditch. The tour will also allow several youngsters who have starred in domestic cricket in recent seasons to impress at a higher level. Teenage sensation Phillip Hughes, who made a century in last summer's Pura Cup final, has been named along with Blues team-mate Peter Forrest, Tasmania's George Bailey and Western Australians Marcus North and Adam Voges, who will be vice-captain. "These young batsmen are all players the NSP considers has the potential to play for Australia in the future," Hilditch said. Queensland veteran Ashley Noffke will lead a four-man pace attack containing former South Australia paceman Ryan Harris, Blues star Doug Bollinger and rising Bushrangers speedster Peter Siddle. Luke Ronchi, so impressive in Brad Haddin's absence during the one-day series in the Caribbean, will don the gloves. Changes will be made to the squad for the four one-day matches against New Zealand A and India A starting on September 15. The final will be played on September 26. Australia A squad: Simon Katich ©, Adam Voges, George Bailey, Doug Bolligner, Beau Casson, Peter Forrest, Ryan Harris, Phillip Hughes, Jason Krejza, Bryce McGain, Marcus North, Ashley Noffke, Luke Ronchi, Peter Siddle Fixture September 3-5 v India A, KSCA, Bangalore September 9-11v India A, Rajiv Gandhi International Stadium, Hyderabad September 15 v New Zealand A, Rajiv Gandhi International, Hyderabad September 16 v India A, Rajiv Gandhi International Stadium, Hyderabad September 22 v New Zealand A, Guru Nanak, Chennai September 24 v India A, MA Chidambaram, Chennai September 26 Final, MA Chidambaram, Chennai Now tell me when did India send its A squads for unofficial tests in countries which have been traditionally tough for Indian players like Australia, SA and NZ? Australia will be playing their first test at the Chinnaswamy stadium Bangalore and this is where their A team will kick-start their too. When did the Indian players get to play matches at the test venues whenever they toured Australia or England or SA? This is the difference why Australia is number one country in both the main formats while India has been completely inconsistent. And this shows how serious Australia are for this series in India, not like India who had no time to acclimatise and were rushed from their own home series making the result of the first test inevitable.

Very good strategy from CA's part.But the question is whether any of these spinners have the quality to trouble Indain batsmen on their own backyard?
That is simply overconfidence Danram. I've seen guys like Nicky Boje, Paul Harris and Ray Price who are/were nothing but extremely average bowlers, taking 5 fers vs India. Any new guy is the biggest demon for India, be it a batsman or a bowler. Just remember how many debutats have enjoyed huge success against India, whoever he was. And here CA is even providing these nervous spinners the comfort zone too by letting them have a taste of Indian pitches and condition just before the test series. When was the last time BCCI planned like that? Australia A in India 2008-09 McGain grabs long-awaited chance Brydon Coverdale August 21, 2008 342545.jpg Bryce McGain is hoping he can succeed in Indian conditions © Getty Images At 36, most first-class cricketers are winding down and perhaps trying to eke out a couple more years while their bodies and skills hold up. They are rarely considered exciting prospects, yet those are the words Australia's chairman of selectors used on Wednesday to describe Bryce McGain, the Victoria legspinner. McGain turns 37 next March and has just been selected for his first Australia A tour, a trip to India in a fortnight. If he bowls well, the prize could be a spot in the Test squad that will attempt to retain the Border-Gavaskar Trophy in India a month later. It is a dream that seemed out of reach when he was overlooked for Australia's tour of the West Indies this year. "This is the opportunity," McGain said. "You can't do it when you're running around the Tan [running track] in the middle of winter in Melbourne, you can do it when you get an opportunity to play cricket. Being across in India is the right place to do it." He will have only two three-day games against India A to press his claims and two other slow bowlers will be doing the same. The squad also includes Beau Casson, the left-arm wrist-spinner who made his Test debut two months ago, and the Tasmania offspinner Jason Krejza. They are both 25, yet McGain is the least experienced of the three at first-class level. He only established himself in the Victoria team last season with a strong Pura Cup campaign that brought him 38 wickets. This time last year he was working full-time in a bank, which he believes actually goes in his favour with the selectors. "I know that players who have played a decade of first-class cricket and also other options, playing overseas and things like that, do get worn out," he said. "I guess I've been fresh for a long time. "I plan to not hang around just for one or two years, I plan to prepare myself for beyond that. I think I've got a bit of longevity. I don't think it's a short-term fix, I think it could be a long-term option as well." The only cricket McGain has played outside Australia came during a couple of seasons in England and a stint playing in Denmark, so the India trip will be as much a learning curve for him as for the younger men. He has been picking the brains of colleagues who have played in the subcontinent because he knows that with the attrition rate in Australia's spin ranks in the past two years, a Test call-up could come at any time. "I'm still in there with a chance," he said. "It probably indicates that it still is open in terms of selection. I guess that goes for every position. It's a new-look Australian group and a new tier coming up behind the existing team so I'm just really excited to be a part of that." The 14-man Australia A unit heads to Brisbane on the weekend for a short training camp before flying out for India in a week. The Test squad will be picked after the completion of the three-day games in Bangalore and Hyderabad.
the only spinner indians are worried and continue to be worried is Mendis-everybody else is passe and will be dealt with disdain.
Looks like you've forgotten the performance of Paul Harris just one and a half years back at Cape Town! The guy was dealt with so much of disdain that Indians failed to register their first series victory in SA and ended up losong it instead!! Disdain!! :roll: And how did Shaun Udal perform for England at Bombay 2 years back and what was the result of that match?
Smart move' date=' but may not be enough. They might as well end up destroying a potential career.[/quote'] How? Do you mean to say that they shouldn't send a spinner here at all? If yes, then that is going to be most stupid move and I don't think CA is stupid.
That is simply overconfidence Danram. I've seen guys like Nicky Boje, Paul Harris and Ray Price who are/were nothing but extremely average bowlers, taking 5 fers vs India. Any new guy is the biggest demon for India, be it a batsman or a bowler. Just remember how many debutats have enjoyed huge success against India, whoever he was. And here CA is even providing these nervour spinners the confort zone too but letting them have a taste on Indian pitches and condition just before the test series. When was the last time BCCI planned like that?
Yep India love getting done by n00bs who they should be destroying
now do you want to counter attack this? then make under-19 orsome newbies team or state team to play them.. which doesnt give them conclusion that they are looking for.
Well, 1. Dont agree to CA's request - is there any obligation for us to agree!? or 2. Do what veer says above After all when we tour Aus, CA hardly arranges anything we request!

CA can do watever they want but v will always raise our game against the aussies..i mean it is quite evident from the past series..even if v struggle against other countries wen it comes to australia v bring out the 'A' game..so we need not worry abt this strategy..but on a side note, this strategy shows the professionalism on CA's part..as Chandan has said this is y they are the number 1 side in the world..the Indian board sheesh the less said abt them the better..since v have been blessed with gifted cricketers our team does manage to come to grips quickly, if not for them our team wud have been reeling in most of the away tours..

Looks like you've forgotten the performance of Paul Harris just one and a half years back at Cape Town! The guy was dealt with so much of disdain that Indians failed to register their first series victory in SA and ended up losong it instead!! Disdain!! :roll: And how did Shaun Udal perform for England at Bombay 2 years back and what was the result of that match? How? Do you mean to say that they shouldn't send a spinner here at all? If yes, then that is going to be most stupid move and I don't think CA is stupid.
I am not worried about australian spinners-AT ALL.If their best spinner is beau casson then they are not worthy of any hand-wringing.
I am not worried about australian spinners-AT ALL.If their best spinner is beau casson then they are not worthy of any hand-wringing.
All of you are "so confident" that India will maul the Aus bowlers. Well, good - but u do have to realize it does not always work that way.