Ganguly to quit??

suraj

India's Ganguly may quit international cricket: report -------------------------------------------------------------------------------- India's Ganguly may quit international cricket: report Updated at: 1615 PST, Tuesday, September 09, 2008 NEW DELHI: Former India captain Sourav Ganguly may quit international cricket "sooner rather than later" with him facing the axe for the upcoming home series against Australia, a report said Tuesday. The 36-year-old was left out of the Rest of India squad for the five-day Irani Cup match against Ranji Trophy champions Delhi in Vadodara from September 24, seen as a trial match for next month's Test series. Ganguly's omission from a virtual Test line-up that includes fellow seniors Sachin Tendulkar, Rahul Dravid, Anil Kumble and Venkatsai Laxman means he is unlikely to figure in the highly anticipated series starting in Bangalore on October 9. The Telegraph newspaper, published from Ganguly's home city of Kolkata, said the stylish left-hander may not attempt to make a comeback into the Indian team. "The fight may just have gone out of Sourav Ganguly," the paper said in a frontpage story. "The former captain could decide to call it a day -- sooner rather than later -- instead of striving for a return to the Team India dressing room." The paper quoted an unnamed person close to Ganguly saying: "I don't think he is hungry the way he was, say, two years ago." Ganguly, India's most successful Test captain with 21 wins, was sacked in 2005 and later dropped from both the Test and one-day team after a public spat with the then coach, Australian batting great Greg Chappell. But he returned to the Test squad in late 2006, emerging as the highest scorer in the away series in South Africa and making useful contributions against England and the home series against the South Africans. The selectors, however, ignored Ganguly for the Irani Cup after he averaged just 16 in three Tests on the recent tour of Sri Lanka, which the hosts won 2-1. Tendulkar, who averaged 15 on that tour, and Dravid, who averaged 24, were given another chance by the five-man selection committee headed by former Test captain Dilip Vengsarkar. "I have no reaction, no comments," Ganguly told the newspaper. TheNews

Yesterday he claimed he has another 2 years of intl cricket left in him. I don't think he'll call it quits right now. But if the selectors ignore him totally for the next 3-4 series' date=' which I think they will, he will quit.[/quote'] the interview that ur talking about was with Sun long before the selection of Irani trophy..when Saurav was in England.So things might change..I hope he retires..BCCI is just a shameless bunch..a person like Ganguly deserves something more.
If I was in his place' date=' I would quit. The selector's are simply not interested in him anymore.[/quote'] you are not in his place so u dont know wat he feels are wat he wants to do..listen its easy for us to say y dont u quit y dont u retire gracefully this that..but its a huge decision for Sourav or for that matter any cricketer to leave wat he has been doing all his life..it is not easy at all..the cricketers know wen they shd call it quits better than anyone else..it was the same sourav who hit the match winning knock against SA in the last test match earlier this year..im not supporting him but common ppl like us wud have no idea abt cricketers thinking..

I like his attitude and I think his time's up. Clearly he's been passed the message they are going to overlook him and rightly so. Even if the selectors stick to him, he doesn't look like he's going to score double hundreds often and take India to the next level. That said he should continue playing domestic cricket for the next two years and that will help a lot of upcoming cricketers from his region. He could guide few cricketers from his region and see them through to the national team. He could even try to win the domestic competition for his state and that is not a bad feat. That will help him keep in touch with the sport and will also help his IPL form.

I like his attitude and I think his time's up. Clearly he's been passed the message they are going to overlook him and rightly so. Even if the selectors stick to him, he doesn't look like he's going to score double hundreds often and take India to the next level. That said he should continue playing domestic cricket for the next two years and that will help a lot of upcoming cricketers from his region. He could guide few cricketers from his region and see them through to the national team. He could even try to win the domestic competition for his state and that is not a bad feat. That will help him keep in touch with the sport and will also help his IPL form.
Not going to happen, knowing Dada or for that matter any superstar Indian cricketer.

Kolkata: Scotching speculations of retirement after he was left out for the Rest of India squad in Irani Trophy, former India captain Sourav Ganguly on Thursday resumed his rigorous training and net session at Eden Gardens. Upset after being ignored for the 14-member squad, meant for probables for the four-Test series against Australia, Ganguly had not turned up for practice from Monday to Wednesday. "But today, he came early in the morning, waited for 20 minutes for all of us to turn up and trained at the gym for one hour and 10 minutes before joining the Bengal Ranji probables in the nets," Bengal trainer Chinmoy Roy said. Incidentally, Roy was away in Thiruvanantapuram but a "keen for comeback" Ganguly phoned the trainer, asking him to come back. "He wanted me to come so I returned early to join him at the gym today. From his body language, one thing was evident: there's no question of calling it quits at the moment. Ganguly told me that he'll henceforth practice regularly as it feels 'bad' not practicing." Roy added that Ganguly was at the nets for close to 40 minutes, facing all the Bengal bowlers. Sidelined by the Dilip Vengsarkar-chaired national selectors, Ganguly hopes to make yet another return when the new selection committee is appointed ahead of the Australia series. Ganguly, in an interview recently to a British tabloid, said he was not mulling on retirement and has a couple of years left in him. IBN news

Kolkata: Scotching speculations of retirement after he was left out for the Rest of India squad in Irani Trophy, former India captain Sourav Ganguly on Thursday resumed his rigorous training and net session at Eden Gardens. Upset after being ignored for the 14-member squad, meant for probables for the four-Test series against Australia, Ganguly had not turned up for practice from Monday to Wednesday. "But today, he came early in the morning, waited for 20 minutes for all of us to turn up and trained at the gym for one hour and 10 minutes before joining the Bengal Ranji probables in the nets," Bengal trainer Chinmoy Roy said. Incidentally, Roy was away in Thiruvanantapuram but a "keen for comeback" Ganguly phoned the trainer, asking him to come back. "He wanted me to come so I returned early to join him at the gym today. From his body language, one thing was evident: there's no question of calling it quits at the moment. Ganguly told me that he'll henceforth practice regularly as it feels 'bad' not practicing." Roy added that Ganguly was at the nets for close to 40 minutes, facing all the Bengal bowlers. Sidelined by the Dilip Vengsarkar-chaired national selectors, Ganguly hopes to make yet another return when the new selection committee is appointed ahead of the Australia series. Ganguly, in an interview recently to a British tabloid, said he was not mulling on retirement and has a couple of years left in him. IBN news
Irrespective of age/talent/fitness this man's a fighter. Wouldnt surprise me if he made a test comeback again! :hatsoff: