Ganguly might be offered ‘honourable exit’: Reports

Feed

how has ganguly spoiled anybody's career?we tried yuvi n kaif they didnt perform was that ganguly's fault?selectors didnt pick badri ' date='chopra,was that ganguly's fault?ganguly performed when picked n slogged it out like rest of 'em wen didnt get picked. hes only responsible 4 his own career and it has been a fantastic career,so he DOES deserve a graceful exit.[/quote'] zubibaba is a golf player, dosent watch cricket.. forget him :-D
how has ganguly spoiled anybody's career?we tried yuvi n kaif they didnt perform was that ganguly's fault?selectors didnt pick badri ' date='chopra,was that ganguly's fault?ganguly performed when picked n slogged it out like rest of 'em wen didnt get picked. hes only responsible 4 his own career and it has been a fantastic career,so he DOES deserve a graceful exit.[/quote'] its not his fault... but being in the team cuz of his past deeds.... n not willling to go on his own.. well if he is gracious enough to accept the reality n retire, he deserves a graceful exit.. but stickin on to the team like a leech as long as he can n not offering anything valuable to the team is jus a waste ...

^^ wats wrong in a player wanting to play forever? selectors can always gave a hint that u r not good enuf anymore and now they have done that am sure ganguly will accept it(he doesnt have any choice)n get his deserving farewell.

back to the subject... Inclusion is not part of retirement deal, says Ganguly Kolkata, October 1: Former captain Sourav Ganguly on Wednesday dismissed suggestions that his inclusion in India’s 15-member squad for the first two cricket Tests against Australia was part of a compromise formula to give him the opportunity to retire gracefully. Asked specifically if the selectors had made a compromise with his selection in the team, Ganguly quipped “absolutely not”. Ganguly’s floundering Test career on Wednesday received a big boost with the newly-appointed selection panel headed by Krishnamachari Srikkanth naming him in the squad for the first two Tests against Australia beginning October 9. The former captain reckoned the series against the Australians will be “tough” and said he was prepared for the challenge. “It will be a tough series. We will have to fight it hard”, he told reporters at the Eden Gardens in Kolkata. Ganguly’s career was at crossroads after he was ignored by the previous selection panel, with Dilip Vengsarkar at the helm, for the season-opening Irani Cup tie, touted as a virtual selection trial, at Vadodara late last month. However, a change of guard with the complete overhaul of the selection panel saw the return of Ganguly and he seems certain to play the series opener at Bangalore barring injury. The former Indian captain also met Cricket Association of Bengal (CAB) President Jagmohan Dalmiya during the day. It was his first meeting with Dalmiya since he was re-elected to the post.

how has ganguly spoiled anybody's career?we tried yuvi n kaif they didnt perform was that ganguly's fault?selectors didnt pick badri ' date='chopra,was that ganguly's fault?ganguly performed when picked n slogged it out like rest of 'em wen didnt get picked. hes only responsible 4 his own career and it has been a fantastic career,so he DOES deserve a graceful exit.[/quote'] true
how has ganguly spoiled anybody's career?we tried yuvi n kaif they didnt perform was that ganguly's fault?selectors didnt pick badri ' date=chopra,was that ganguly's fault?ganguly performed when picked n slogged it out like rest of 'em wen didnt get picked. hes only responsible 4 his own career and it has been a fantastic career,so he DOES deserve a graceful exit.
VVS.
how so? It's not Ganguly's fault the captains (Dravid, Kumble) have made him bat low down the order
For most part since 2001, VVS >>Gangs. But during Ganguly's captaincy, VVS was put at No.6 and he stayed that way ever since. I think VVS would have averaged in 50s if not for this policy and won/saved us a few more matches.
For most part since 2001' date=' VVS >>Gangs. But during Ganguly's captaincy, VVS was put at No.6 and he stayed that way ever since. I think VVS would have averaged in 50s if not for this policy and won/saved us a few more matches.[/quote'] rofl khota... yea b4 2001.. laxi was ahead of dada.. but he use to bat opening or 1st down and wasnt doing SHYT...and he didnt even have a permanent place in the team... by 2001..gangs was established at 5.. in that series v. aussie where laxi had his coming out party and scored 281, that was at #3.. and dravid was at #6.. few series later dravid obi. had become the wall and had taken #3 away from laxi and only position left for him was 6. blaming dada for everything :rolleyes:

'Forced' retirement talk only in the media - Kumble Anil Kumble has rubbished reports that the seniors in the side are being forced into retirements by the BCCI and the selectors. Kumble also couldn't see why there should be debate over how Sourav Ganguly got selected for the series. More... Australia in India 2008-09 'Forced' retirement talk only in the media - Kumble Sidharth Monga in Bangalore October 2, 2008 361729.jpgAnil Kumble feels India's struggle in the Sri Lanka Tests was just an abberration and is confident of exploiting Australia's inexperience in Indian conditions © AFP Anil Kumble has rubbished reports that seniors in the side are being forced into retirement by the BCCI and the selectors. "We have never discussed that among ourselves. All the talk is only in the media," Kumble said. "Age doesn't matter at all [if a player is doing well], otherwise I would have retired long ago." Kumble also couldn't see why there should be debate over Sourav Ganguly's selection for the first two Tests. "He was a part of the last Test series as well. I don't see a change," he said, on the fourth day of the pre-series camp at the Chinnaswamy Stadium. There had been media speculation before the selection that the team management didn't want Ganguly in the side. "Reports can say a lot of things," Kumble said. "I can't divulge what happened in the selection meeting, but I don't see any change: he was a part of the last Test team, he is a part of this series as well." The performance of the seniors, including Ganguly and Kumble, has been a recent talking point, especially after the Sri Lanka Tests where they were below par. Ganguly managed only 96 runs in six innings and Kumble eight wickets at an average of 50.00 during India's 2-1 series defeat this summer. "It is only the media scrutiny," Kumble said. "The board and the selectors have never scrutinised unreasonably. In terms of the players' performance, we have performed exceptionally well, except for that one bad series in Sri Lanka. "If you go by the record, I don't think the senior players have ever performed badly. The reason we got those results in Australia was thanks to the batsmen scoring those runs. It's never been a problem. It's just that, leading up to the series, you have a lot of time to speculate. As far as I am concerned I think we have the quality to go out there and get the runs as batsmen and get the wickets as bowlers. I think we have the quality to do well." Kumble fe;t the seniors weren't under undue pressure because of the increased scrutiny. "We have been playing for 18 years, if we couldn't handle that pressure we wouldn't have played so long," he said. "The pressure is always there, we can handle that. It's just that it needs to be a bit more respectful. When people discuss cricket, when people discuss players, it needs to be handled respectfully. If that is done, we don't mind the scrutiny. If it's done rubbishly, and the way it's being portrayed, it hurts. If it's respectful it doesn't matter; everybody is scrutinised." He was in a brighter mood, though, when discussing India's chances in the forthcoming series against Australia. "This is the best possible chance we have of winning the series. We have prepared exceptionally well. So we're looking forward to that. "It's more or less the same side we played in Australia. We will certainly try to use the home advantage. We have come pretty close in the last couple of series against them, so this is a really good opportunity." Talking of the previous series, Kumble will want to carry forward the quality of cricket and forget the acrimony. "That [controversies] was a part of the last series and everyone is now looking forward to this series. The cricket played in Australia - most people don't remember - was excellent. I am sure it will be good, competitive cricket whenever India play Australia. We are really looking forward to the challenge." It was a day of optional net practice for India, and one could see that they had let the intensity taper off, which was their original plan. Virender Sehwag took the day off, while Zaheer Khan and Harbhajan Singh only batted. The other absentees were RP Singh, who has gone to Chennai for India A's match against New Zealand A, and Mohammad Kaif, who hasn't been picked for the first two Tests.

'Forced' retirement talk only in the media - Kumble Anil Kumble has rubbished reports that seniors in the side are being forced into retirement by the BCCI and the selectors. "We have never discussed that among ourselves. All the talk is only in the media," Kumble said. "Age doesn't matter at all [if a player is doing well], otherwise I would have retired long ago." Kumble also couldn't see why there should be debate over Sourav Ganguly's selection for the first two Tests. "He was a part of the last Test series as well. I don't see a change," he said, on the fourth day of the pre-series camp at the Chinnaswamy Stadium. There had been media speculation before the selection that the team management didn't want Ganguly in the side. "Reports can say a lot of things," Kumble said. "I can't divulge what happened in the selection meeting, but I don't see any change: he was a part of the last Test team, he is a part of this series as well." The performance of the seniors, including Ganguly and Kumble, has been a recent talking point, especially after the Sri Lanka Tests where they were below par. Ganguly managed only 96 runs in six innings and Kumble eight wickets at an average of 50.00 during India's 2-1 series defeat this summer. "It is only the media scrutiny," Kumble said. "The board and the selectors have never scrutinised unreasonably. In terms of the players' performance, we have performed exceptionally well, except for that one bad series in Sri Lanka. "If you go by the record, I don't think the senior players have ever performed badly. The reason we got those results in Australia was thanks to the batsmen scoring those runs. It's never been a problem. It's just that, leading up to the series, you have a lot of time to speculate. As far as I am concerned I think we have the quality to go out there and get the runs as batsmen and get the wickets as bowlers. I think we have the quality to do well." Kumble fe;t the seniors weren't under undue pressure because of the increased scrutiny. "We have been playing for 18 years, if we couldn't handle that pressure we wouldn't have played so long," he said. "The pressure is always there, we can handle that. It's just that it needs to be a bit more respectful. When people discuss cricket, when people discuss players, it needs to be handled respectfully. If that is done, we don't mind the scrutiny. If it's done rubbishly, and the way it's being portrayed, it hurts. If it's respectful it doesn't matter; everybody is scrutinised." He was in a brighter mood, though, when discussing India's chances in the forthcoming series against Australia. "This is the best possible chance we have of winning the series. We have prepared exceptionally well. So we're looking forward to that. "It's more or less the same side we played in Australia. We will certainly try to use the home advantage. We have come pretty close in the last couple of series against them, so this is a really good opportunity." Talking of the previous series, Kumble will want to carry forward the quality of cricket and forget the acrimony. "That [controversies] was a part of the last series and everyone is now looking forward to this series. The cricket played in Australia - most people don't remember - was excellent. I am sure it will be good, competitive cricket whenever India play Australia. We are really looking forward to the challenge." It was a day of optional net practice for India, and one could see that they had let the intensity taper off, which was their original plan. Virender Sehwag took the day off, while Zaheer Khan and Harbhajan Singh only batted. The other absentees were RP Singh, who has gone to Chennai for India A's match against New Zealand A, and Mohammad Kaif, who hasn't been picked for the first two Tests.

Dream farewells can't be scripted in boardrooms : Harsha Bhogle So, either there is a VRS scheme or its equivalent in Indian cricket or there isn't. Either way, somebody is looking stupid. More... Dream farewells can?t be scripted in boardrooms Harsha Bhogle Posted: Oct 03, 2008 at 0154 hrs IST So, either there is a VRS scheme or its equivalent in Indian cricket or there isn?t. Either way, somebody is looking stupid. If indeed there is one, it is time to mourn for it undermines a cricketer?s ambition and a selector?s prerogative. A cricketer has a right to play on till such time as he thinks he is fit and able and a selector has a right to determine whether that intent makes him worthy of a place in the team. You cannot barter a deal. That is for lesser pursuits in life; like being a member of Parliament before a no-confidence motion! If, as in the current situation, you have players who have done very well for a long time and a call has to be taken on their future, the selectors first make up their mind and then have a dignified conversation with the player concerned. The non-negotiable here is the selector?s decision. You cannot sign a deal with a player for four games, for example, and keep him in the side if he doesn?t score a run in the first three and drop him if he makes a double hundred in the fourth. Ideally that conversation should happen before a player?s value has eroded but when the end is in sight. It should be a little nudge that says a push is round the corner. It then allows the player to either announce his retirement or take up the challenge and accept the push if the performance is not forthcoming. But for that to happen the selection committee has to be independent and their judgement non-negotiable. It is not impossible for it happens every day in places where merit is respected. However, I fear that after a decent run, the selectors will struggle to explain some of their more recent actions. When we have a change in selectors, it is a touch unwise to use a broom and sweep everyone away because it is such a waste of knowledge acquired over a period of time. The old selection committee seemed to be working towards an end, which was to replace the ageing players in the squad. Accordingly a young man with promise, Rohit Sharma, was made the reserve player. But then, when his form slipped, he should have been in the Rest of India side to allow him to strengthen his case. Instead Mohammad Kaif was picked and that made him next in line. Remember Badrinath was picked after him. However, when the time comes to pick the national team, Badrinath jumps the queue. It is leaving a lot of people confused. As it is with the Ganguly issue. Two days before this team was picked, Dilip Vengsarkar said that he wasn?t physically fit enough to play at this level. Two days later, he presumably is. So, who is wrong? And therefore I have no clue about what the current policy with phasing out seniors is. The return of Ganguly is an admission of the fact that no youngster is knocking on the door loud enough to force the selectors to open it. Each of India?s last six outstanding batsmen, Azharuddin, Tendulkar, Ganguly, Dravid, Laxman and Sehwag did. You could argue that youngsters haven?t been picked in the middle order for a long time now but you could, even more strongly, argue that they haven?t done enough. I?d love to hear a national selector speak candidly about this. Let?s return then to where we began, to the VRS story. If there is no such scheme should it be flashed in the media? Indian cricket, or indeed anything to do with public life, will always spawn conspiracy theories. But a news channel, by its very nomenclature, tells the ?news?. It doesn?t gossip, it cannot clothe conspiracy theories in holier garbs because once it does so it no longer has the moral right to claim to be the ?news?. It worries me as well that more and more young men and women are getting obsessed with reporting what happens off the field rather than on it. And it doesn?t help that the BCCI leaks more than a sieve. But should journalists be part of the ?leak?, should they be mere mouthpieces? Bright young men and women should love watching and reporting sport, not get increasingly drawn into the shenanigans that take place off it. If this is what we are telling the new generation about sports journalism, we are letting ourselves down. We are not leaving our profession in a better state than when we joined it.

It worries me as well that more and more young men and women are getting obsessed with reporting what happens off the field rather than on it.
Bright young men and women should love watching and reporting sport, not get increasingly drawn into the shenanigans that take place off it. If this is what we are telling the new generation about sports journalism, we are letting ourselves down. We are not leaving our profession in a better state than when we joined it.
nice article... the quality of sports journalism has been downgraded to that of a b-grade celebrity gossips. its high time that these journalists pull up their socks and get back to reporting sports and achievements on the field. but harsha was also the man who dragged the ganguly, greg spat to public knowledge