Cricket Autobiographies

Ram

If guys like Alastair Cook can write one, why shouldnt I? http://content-usa.cricinfo.com/magazine/content/current/story/373158.html Honestly, what with the English? Every Tom, Dick and Cook write autobiographies! Alaistair Cook, at BEST, can be described as an upcoming batsman who is still struggling to get an established place in the England eleven and and here we have an autobiography from him. I understand thats its every individual's right to write about his own life story, but this is stretching those rights a bit too much. :D I have a strong suspicion that, unlike the rest of the world, where people get up, brush their teeth and read the morning newspaper along with a cup of tea, the British alone start writing the next chapter of their upcoming autobiography. :D

I personally like reading autobiography of cricketers, even if they are second level. Oddly enough some of my most avidly remembered autobiographies are those by Chappell, Zaheer Abbas, Sandeep Patil and so on. Maybe it is the case of underdog. Maybe it is a case of more anecdotes and less "I went out with a big determination" kind a la spouted by Imran, Kapil and Richards(and it can become a drag even on die-hard fans). Although Cook is yet to be in the league of Chappell and Zed who knows if he is a tremondous writer?? Personally I wouldnt mind buying a cricket biography every month or so, the more the merrier I say.

I personally like reading autobiography of cricketers, even if they are second level. Oddly enough some of my most avidly remembered autobiographies are those by Chappell, Zaheer Abbas, Sandeep Patil and so on. Maybe it is the case of underdog. Maybe it is a case of more anecdotes and less "I went out with a big determination" kind a la spouted by Imran, Kapil and Richards(and it can become a drag even on die-hard fans). Although Cook is yet to be in the league of Chappell and Zed who knows if he is a tremondous writer?? Personally I wouldnt mind buying a cricket biography every month or so, the more the merrier I say.
The issue is that most of these are barely autobiographies. Most of them are stories of a very brief career with a whole lot of cliches filling in for real content (as players are active, there's little to no chance they'll really write with that much honesty/forthrightness) and the books are generally bland. A lot of them are also people dictating to a ghostwriter who then punches out a quick paint-by-numbers book. I think "Sunny Days" is the only major exception - an autobiography written by a cricketer active at the time which was a fantastic, fun read, honest and insightful without trying to please everyone. (Benaud's books 'A Tale of Two tests' and another whose name I can't quite remember - both published around 1960/62 are also phenomenal reads, but not autobiographies.) Read through a pile of crap like one of the Flintoff books, then compare to something like what has been written by guys like Nasser Hussain, Steve Waugh, Gillespie or Simon Hughes. No comparison whatsoever. Although I agree wholeheartedly with one point you make (and wish others would get it) - the quality of the cricketer isn't always correlated to the quality of the book. Simon Hughes' book "A lot of hard yakka" is about his perpetual struggle on the county circuit and the culture/life there. Hughes was never a great cricket, not really good enough to make it to the England side - and yet it's one of the most entertaining, enjoyable reads I've ever picked up. Peter Roebuck's autobiography covering his playing days is also a great read, ditto for just about ever book written by Jack Fingleton (a fine player, but never a great). Others - like Kapil Dev's and Javed Miandad's are quite boring reads despite the players' calibre and the stories I'm sure they'd have to tell. But then again, some can write, some can't. But it's a shame when the Flintoff bio flies off shelves for being written by the great English superhero (despite being completely bland, boring, cliched and filled with the usual platitudes towards various opponents - YES AUSTRALIA ARE FANTASTIC OFF THE FIELD AND PEOPLE RESPECT THEIR ABILITIES - WE FN GET IT), while some really good books written by lesser names remain ignored.

^^ Salil, I definitely agree with you about quality of write-ups when it comes to autobiography. Clearly folks like Jack Fingelton, Roebuck, Simon hughes, Benaud are great in that. In fact they are in a different league altogether. At the same time I am also quite happy to take a flight with a book by Flintoff or Vaughan, althought I personally thought both books were way below the mark and was an attempt to make money on booming interest of cricket in England(post Eng-Aus series). Kapil Dev autobiography was a downer, specially Straight from the heart and By Gods decree. Viv Richards was pretty darn boring as well. I suppose in a way it also depends on the reader. Personally I like to read about anecdotes and dont care if it comes from Benaud or Bevan. In fact Bevan has a book out about greatest matches he has played in and I found it a very interesting read. Still remember how he rates Walsh ahead of Ambrose. Botham has a pretty darn good book about 100 players that influenced him and so on. One reason why cricket books are written by many players/experts in UK(and Australia) because books make a great gift. If I was being presented a couple of books every Xmas, New Years or Bday you can bet I would b extremely happy and wouldnt care of it was Cook or Cowdrey who wrote it. xxx

Why not? What's wrong with it? The publisher sees some market which you are obviously ignorant of. If you create a market of readers interested in your autobiography, certainly you can write one. Do they have to be accomplished before they write their ABs? No. I don't think so. It's all about catering to a market demand.

At the same time I am also quite happy to take a flight with a book by Flintoff or Vaughan' date=' althought I personally thought both books were way below the mark and was an attempt to make money on booming interest of cricket in England(post Eng-Aus series).[/quote'] I'd agree on the latter statement. Where we differ is that I'm not happy to read a book by Flintoff or Vaughan if it's a sudden capitalize-on-market-and-interest autobiography just like that. I've built up a substantial collection of older cricket literature, and would be much happier pulling down Cricket Crisis, Brightly Fades the Don, Ray Robinson's Between Wickets or any work of those standards and reading it for the 19854th time.
Kapil Dev autobiography was a downer, specially Straight from the heart and By Gods decree. Viv Richards was pretty darn boring as well. I suppose in a way it also depends on the reader. Personally I like to read about anecdotes and dont care if it comes from Benaud or Bevan.
Indeed. Reading about people, characters, stories, little things behind the scenes that made up the events is great. If I want a blow by blow account of what happened in a match, I'll go back to my own tapes/DVD, or a match report or an online commentary log. I don't want to pick up a book and see it broken down match by match/series by series into a list of reports on the games player X has been a part of, each chapter ending with the usual tributes to the opposition (played well, fought hard, respect them a lot, good people off the field, etc). For a great match (like Gavaskar's details of some of the 71 tests v. WI, or Botham's account of the 81 Ashes tests), yes. For every match, as seems to be the case in an autobiography? F No. One of the reasons I LOVED Lillee's book is the number of stories we get - about everyone from the Chappells to Jeff Thomson (and his method of drinking straight scotch the night before bowling) or Doug Walters and his fantastic attempts to avoid group exercises/jogging (where he'd find ways to skip out, enjoy a cigarette and somehow avoid being caught).
I'd agree on the latter statement. Where we differ is that I'm not happy to read a book by Flintoff or Vaughan if it's a sudden capitalize-on-market-and-interest autobiography just like that. I've built up a substantial collection of older cricket literature, and would be much happier pulling down Cricket Crisis, Brightly Fades the Don, Ray Robinson's Between Wickets or any work of those standards and reading it for the 19854th time.
Those are collectors items Salil and good on you for being a connoisseur(sp?) of the game. I do enjoy all the books you mention, and others of the same ilk. Where we differ is that I am as well happy to read a book which is not a fantastic piece of writing, as a Cardus leaves you with. So in a nutshell I may not be satisfied but I am happy.
One of the reasons I LOVED Lillee's book is the number of stories we get - about everyone from the Chappells to Jeff Thomson (and his method of drinking straight scotch the night before bowling) or Doug Walters and his fantastic attempts to avoid group exercises/jogging (where he'd find ways to skip out, enjoy a cigarette and somehow avoid being caught).
I am happy to see another Lillee fan here. I have read only one of his book - Menace - obvious reference to Dennis the Menace and was thoroughly pleased. It had some extremely nice anecdotes and simply the way book was compiled gave you a great idea bout a top player, and also many of his competitors, without being obviously chest-thumping act. You could practically see his passion coming out of the book, an immense self-beleife and yet great respect for opponents(specially Lloyd and Richards). Great read. Thus far all Aussie cricketers book that I have had the pleasure to read - Bradman, Waugh, Bevan, Lillee, Chappell etc have all been greatly pleasant. Must admit havent yet read a drag piece from an Aussie cricketer. xxx

Then you haven't read Ricky Ponting's diaries of 2004 and 2005! And yes, those books are collectors' items - I'd agree and I'm very fortunate in that regard. And spoiled - I've had the chance to read most of Jack Fingleton's books and most deserve to be called great books (esp. Cricket Crisis and Brightly Fades the Don), rather than great cricket books. But I do enjoy books that aren't necessarily fantastic pieces of writing. Sandeep Bamzai's book on Bombay cricket is one. Not the best written, but it's a very enjoyable fun read - decently researched with some nice stories and some phenomenal old photographs. I just get very irritated when I come across rehashed/by-the-numbers autobiographies (particularly those that run through a few hundred pages while saying very little of note other than some scoreboards, match reports and cliches). David Shepherd's autobiography is another. Not a classic - I wouldn't put it in the bracket alongside SRW/Lillee/Gavaskar/Chappell for quality, but it's a light hearted read (with some hilarious stories about his superstitions) and quite fascinating to read about the approach of a professional umpire (as well as hear about his playing days at 'Proctorshire'). On Lillee - Agree fully. Menace is a fantastic book written by a guy who's really passionate about the game and respects it and the others involved with it a great deal. The edition I have has a postscript update in early 2004, discussing Lillee's work with the MRF Pace Academy and the signs of progress evident when India beat Australia in Adelaide. Meanwhile, a few highlights from the home library... :) bookssmallsd8.jpg

Thats an awesome collection right there. The beauty is the condition. I have always loved reading old books, and not the reprinted version. Somehow it takes you further back in time...if that makes sense. I will take some snaps of a book by Fred Trueman. It is one of the best books I have read and while reading it I could see why Fred Trueman was considered larger than life. Will try to put some snapshots for you.

Yup, it makes complete sense. I'd much rather sit down with a yellowing, slightly dusty original edition of a book like that rather than the latest reprint. Fortunately I've been able to find some real gems for my shelves of cricket books which have mostly been in fantastic condition. It's a great pleasure to be able to sit down on an evening with any of those.

wel... i dont knw what this thread does to you guys, but its definitely motivating me to write my autobiography.. err... may be i can write about my life as a cricket fan, the superstitions i follow when india is chsing, my ordeals in buying tickets for big matches, gettin to the stadium, watching alongside tens of thousands of ppl etc... may be i'll be the only person reading it... WTF.. when Alistair Cook can write one, why shudn't I?

wel... i dont knw what this thread does to you guys, but its definitely motivating me to write my autobiography.. err... may be i can write about my life as a cricket fan, the superstitions i follow when india is chsing, my ordeals in buying tickets for big matches, gettin to the stadium, watching alongside tens of thousands of ppl etc... may be i'll be the only person reading it... WTF.. when Alistair Cook can write one, why shudn't I?
He has 7 test hundreds.
dinnakar has watched over 50 test hundreds!
yup.. more or less.. here are some of the best innings that i watched live... Sachin murdering Shane Warne in the second innings of the Chennai test in 1998 series Sachin's unfinished job against the pakistanis in chennai, that cost us the match in 1999 Saeed Anwar's World Record 194 against India at Chennai in 1998 (this is in an ODI) Sehwag's triple ton in one day against South Africa this March (at Chennai) Sehwag's 150 against Australia in the second test in 2004 that got rained off Afridi's all guns blazing hundred in the second innings of the chennai test in 1999 Hayden's double ton in the decider of the 2001 series which was eventually lost by the aussies Ganguly's one and only double century - against pakistan @ Bangalore last year Yuvi's and Irfan's centuries around dada's double ton in the same match. (I think there were some centuries from Paki batsmen as well in that match, but cant quite recollect) Amla's and McKenzie's 150s in that drawn match where Sehwag made 319. Dravid's "OMG enough, get lost!!!" innings of 111 playing only 13 balls less than Sehwag And as recently, Ponting's painfully slow 124 against India at Bangalore Mike Hussey's 146 in the same match.. So, I had been witness to atleast 15 centuries including 1 double century and 1 triple century...When I look back, its been India, Australia, Pakistan all the way... From the time I started attending Test matches, I had just seen one match against the West Indies (2002) and South Africa (2006), rest have been against Australia (4 - 1998, 2001, 2004, 2008) and Pakistan (2 - 1999, 2007). Haven't seen a Test against England yet (the 2nd test in 1993 English whitewash took place while I was writing my board exams, so couldn't make it) and I dont care even if I dont get to watch Bangladesh or Zimbabwe in my lifetime. I have this habit of buying season tickets and going all 5 days and had also burnt my fingers when the tests against SriLanka (2006) and New Zealand (1995) were washed out. Nevertheless I keep doing it. Test Match is the ruler... and I'm its slave... okay.. too much ho gaya :) So, can I write a book now - ofcourse after polishing my english writing skills...