Great innings from Sachin

Sachinism

Just for the sake of shutting a few up people up' date=' I would have loved to see him end the day with an unbeaten score.[/quote'] At which point certain people would probably whine that he was playing for his average here and he should produce such knocks in games where we need to bat longer...

The knock that he played yesterday was different. He played with so much ease that it seemed like a different batsman altogether. He was nimble on his feet, moved his feet with purpose and tremendous balance. It was a delight to watch even though he got out on 49. Perhaps, some would argue that he got distracted with the light issue. I really enjoyed his innings yesterday. Laxman batted well too.

It was an excellent inning from the point of view of the game situation. India had to draw this against the Aussies as the last two series' India were beaten hands down and the fight back only came from the second test match. This will add to the confidence and knowing India they will now continue to play good for the rest of the series. This 49 from Sachin coming from 2 sessions not only helps add to the confidence of Sachin that proved today he can adapt to different style of batting when need arises but will also give the team a good boost. Technically it was a terrific knock as he made adjustments to his guard (was standing outside the leg stump to deter from using the pads), dragged his back foot across when defending ensuring he doesn't play on and employed a very loose grip against the spinners. Sachin Tendulkar is such a smart cricketer it borders on over smartness. This very cricket smartness allowed him to bat that long (2 sessions for 49 runs) and also perish the way he did. The shot he played to get out was unnecessary but with the tweaked loose grip on the bat and no high backlift he couldn't hit the ball hard enough. Something I didn't like was his attitude when the lights went down a little. A super batsman like him should not really be looking for excuses to walk away and secure a draw but rather should fight it out in the middle. I'm sure he may have played a lot cricket in light worse that it was yesterday. He should have showed more intent to be in the middle rather than get back to the dressing room. As a bastman you would rather be batting than not batting. I'm sure the likes of Gavaskar, Boycott, Viv Richards, Steve Waugh or even Rahul Dravid will have a different mindset. They would rather like to be out there batting than sit in the dressing room cooling the heals. Often I have seen he doesn't want to be out there gritting it out and that is something I simply cannot understand. Batsman should look forward to be out in the middle unless it is absolutely dangerous to bat. It wasn’t dangerous and as usual the light improved. To my liking he’s too fussy a batsman with unimaginable ability. Someone with an ability like that shouldn’t look forward to shorts cuts but should look forward to face up to the challenge of having an opportunity in the very first place to play a gritty knock. In short I’d rather see him feel happy to be under pressure situations as he can fully use his ability to challenge himself. This is what is sports is all about, you have to enjoy the different challenges it presents on a daily basis. Not with standing the result or the outcome you should be able to enjoy the challenges. When the outcome dominates your thoughts it is only a matter of time you will fail.

Scored at a crucial time' date=' it was very important he stayed there[/quote'] I don't have a problem with that. But the prose seems like he did it single-handedly, while he left when the job of saving the match was still undone. But for Laxman and Ganguly, who knows who would have saved the match or would they have at all.
Good knock certainly' date=' but not great.[/quote'] Agreed. If he had stayed to the end, it would be termed great ... but otherwise still a good knock. Personally, I was somewhat impressed with India yesterday, everyone did their little part. Gambhir chipped in at the top, Sachin showed some stern resiliance, and Laxman and Ganguly survived till the end. Only Dravid and Sehwag didnt do that well. Id much rather everyone make 40 odd than 1 person make a hundred and no one else get double figures.

Just a glance at the scorecard of the last 3 innings of the test is enough to tell you it was an excellent innings. The pitch might not have ever become a minefield but there was some surprise always round the corner on it no matter how carefully one batted. After session 1 day 3 when we saw some seriously uneven bounce, it became difficult to score on and remained so.