When was the last time Australia could not avoid follow-on?

DomainK

There is a practical chance of a follow-on here. 167 needed.....top four have been removed. Three more and we are into the tail. Almost every Indian bowler is bowling well. When was the last time the Australians faced a follow on? I would enjoy immensely if they do. Not sure though that Dhoni would enforce the follow on though.

To be honest, this topic is a bit redundant. Follow-on is a flawed concept. No team should ever enforce it, unless they have time constraints. Batting last in a test match, chasing even a minuscule target is fraught with danger. Even if India get a 250 run lead, I am 100% sure they wont enforce the follow on. They will bat for a day and a bit and set Australia something like 1200 runs to win. :D Enter our spinners on days 4 and 5 and that essentially, as they call, is THAT. :D

To be honest, this topic is a bit redundant. Follow-on is a flawed concept. No team should ever enforce it, unless they have time constraints. Batting last in a test match, chasing even a minuscule target is fraught with danger. Even if India get a 250 run lead, I am 100% sure they wont enforce the follow on. They will bat for a day and a bit and set Australia something like 1200 runs to win. :D Enter our spinners on days 4 and 5 and that essentially, as they call, is THAT. :D
would be good to feel good about it but doesn't work out here...them following on means that they can use the pitch while it's still nice on day 3...if we bat for a day and a half and put them in at tea time...we should be able to win it. Ponting's true test will come then.
Well, guys, I said "not being able to avoid the follow on". Dhoni may or may not enforce the follow on. But if we can have a lead of above 200 that will be quite a humiliation for Australia....something they are not used to. No one knows when was the last time Australia conceded a first innings lead of more than 200 giving the opposition captain the right to enforce a follow on?
If MSD had caught Hussey off Harbhajan Singh, then maybe. But that was a sharp catch, should be taken in Intl level though. But Hussey got a life, and now he is being a pain - we need to get him soon, real soon before he does any damage.
India won 2 sessions on D2 and whole of D2. Aus facing 200+ lag and having to bat on D4 even and D5. Of all the +ves, you could find something -ve. :omg: Why does anybody want to give Aus a chance to comeback. This is still 2nd test and 0-0. If this was the last test and India were lagging in the series, then a follow-on makes sense.

I dont think we should enforce the follow on because of these reasons: * Australia's strength is their batting. If we give them a 3rd innings pitch to bat on, as opposed to a 4th innings pitch, we allow them to bat themselves back into the match. * We have 2 spinner who can expose a 4th innings track quite well. * We are historically much better at defending targets to win, rather than chasing them. Basically if we get a lead of about 200 odd (and thats a big if) ... then we should not enforce the follow on. We should bat again, and look to score aggressively and give Australia about a day and a half to chase down 500 odd to win. That would put us in a commanding position.

India will not enforce the follow on..in the first place i think Aussies will not give up that easily..i know our bowling has been very good yesterday and we have to keep up that pressure and intensity to get them out cheaply..Husseys wicket is the crucial one..if we can knock him off cheaply then we sure can bundle them out for less than 260 or so..

BTW Cric info gave the information: For those who didn't know when Australia last followed on' date=' it was against England at Trent Bridge in 2005.[/quote'] noone seems to be interested in answering domaink's question, instead they are starting a different argument, leaving domaink to answer his question himself... before the trent bridge test, it was india who were in a position to inflict a follow on on the aussies. it was in the sydney test in 2004 where we scored more than 700, but we dint do it though..
noone seems to be interested in answering domaink's question, instead they are starting a different argument, leaving domaink to answer his question himself... before the trent bridge test, it was india who were in a position to inflict a follow on on the aussies. it was in the sydney test in 2004 where we scored more than 700, but we dint do it though..
Thanks dinakkar. So its not something that has happened in recent past. Though it seems less likely now since we are losing time and lead.

Yes, we got a lead in excess of 200. :yay: Take that. You will now be whether you are worth batting twice or not. You are at disposal. :D Though I feel Dhoni will not take a chance and go out to bat leaving Asutralia to suffer on 4th and 5th day pitches crawling into defeat. Also our bowlers deserve some rest after this splendid effort.