Lara tips Ponting as next record-holder

Sachinism

I doubt if Ponting will take over the mantle. I think his awesome days with the bat are not going to stay anymore. He will continue to score but not the kind of runs he used to produce in the lat 5-6 years. Knowing Tendulkar' date=' he will make it about 14,000 or 15000 runs in test cricket and Ponting will not be the one to catch him. Perhaps another Tendulkar like lad will be the one to make it and that won't be in a hurry.[/quote'] thats about the best way to sum up the Ponting Vs Tendulkars debate..i completely agree with your observations abt Sachin making 15K runs and Punter lagging behind in the end..unless and until a Tendulkar-like talent comes along his records will stay..
I doubt if Ponting will take over the mantle. I think his awesome days with the bat are not going to stay anymore. He will continue to score but not the kind of runs he used to produce in the lat 5-6 years. Knowing Tendulkar' date=' he will make it about 14,000 or 15000 runs in test cricket and Ponting will not be the one to catch him. Perhaps another Tendulkar like lad will be the one to make it and that won't be in a hurry.[/quote'] in terms of Achievements in cricket, what Ponting has achieved will never ever be equaled by Sachin, and overall he has better career than Sachin.Ponting won three world cups two as captain, and his winning all those tests matches , Sachin can only dream about.Ricky has always delivered in crunch which sachin rarely did, I dont understand this logic how ricky can fall of the map and Sachin can still hang on whereas in reality is showing Sachin falling of his high pedestal and Ricky still is there.but to all his blind fans he can be there in the end and Ricky can fall of the map and just vanish.
in terms of Achievements in cricket, what Ponting has achieved will never ever be equaled by Sachin, and overall he has better career than Sachin.Ponting won three world cups two as captain, and his winning all those tests matches , Sachin can only dream about.Ricky has always delivered in crunch which sachin rarely did, I dont understand this logic how ricky can fall of the map and Sachin can still hang on whereas in reality is showing Sachin falling of his high pedestal and Ricky still is there.but to all his blind fans he can be there in the end and Ricky can fall of the map and just vanish.
its not a one man game..its not like Ricky won all the game for them..he has a great team in his disposal and with such a team you will win most of the games.. Tendulkar was the torch-bearer in the 90s wen our team was so bad..people still felt happy wen he went there and smashed a 100 because we were losing quite often those days..only during Souravs captaincy that the culmination of RD SRT VVS Viru took place and we started looking like a champion side.. your argument that Ricky delivers wen it is needed is off topic here..we are talking about who will end up with most runs in the end..look Sachins avg in the 4th innings is low but that alone does not mean that he hasn played under pressure..or has failed wen India needed him the most..wat about all the situations when he came in when the score was 10-2 or 25-2 in the first innings..wasn that pressure.. and the logic that Ricky can fall of the map is because he is not in the same league as Sachin or Lara..the latter 2 are different..i certainly feel that Ricky Dravid and Kallis are one step below the 2 geniuses of our era..Rickys golden period from 2002-2007 will not be replicated..he will still score runs but not in the way he did in those 5 years..whereas sachin barring the time btw 2005-early 2007 has always scored runs..mind you he looks more hungry now and thats why i feel that he will end up with 15k runs if there are no career threatening injuries *touchwood*
its not a one man game..its not like Ricky won all the game for them..he has a great team in his disposal and with such a team you will win most of the games.. Tendulkar was the torch-bearer in the 90s wen our team was so bad..people still felt happy wen he went there and smashed a 100 because we were losing quite often those days..only during Souravs captaincy that the culmination of RD SRT VVS Viru took place and we started looking like a champion side.. your argument that Ricky delivers wen it is needed is off topic here..we are talking about who will end up with most runs in the end..look Sachins avg in the 4th innings is low but that alone does not mean that he hasn played under pressure..or has failed wen India needed him the most..wat about all the situations when he came in when the score was 10-2 or 25-2 in the first innings..wasn that pressure.. and the logic that Ricky can fall of the map is because he is not in the same league as Sachin or Lara..the latter 2 are different..i certainly feel that Ricky Dravid and Kallis are one step below the 2 geniuses of our era..Rickys golden period from 2002-2007 will not be replicated..he will still score runs but not in the way he did in those 5 years..whereas sachin barring the time btw 2005-early 2007 has always scored runs..mind you he looks more hungry now and thats why i feel that he will end up with 15k runs if there are no career threatening injuries *touchwood*
when was the last golden period of sachin and dont compare ricky ponting to dravid and kallis , they are not in same league, ricky ponting is the most devasting batsman who took batting to almost bradmanesque between 2002 to 2007 may never be replicated, and Tendulkar has been almost non entity since jan 2004 , he has scored 6 hundreds where as ponting has scored 16 hundreds, tendulkar scored 2000 odd runs in the same period where as ponting has scored more than 5000 runs, based on these stats alone you can see there is no comparision between ponting and Tendulkar. Tendulkar in last five years cant even be mentioned in the same breadth as ricky ponting who is by far the best batsman in world and it is not even close. Tendulkar being the best batsmen in world is a decade old statement, in last 5 years he has done little to prove otherwise.He is still in the game just becuase of his resume not becuase he is worth his place in the team. Still you have come to conclusion that Tendulkar will outlast Ponting.
when was the last golden period of sachin and dont compare ricky ponting to dravid and kallis , they are not in same league, ricky ponting is the most devasting batsman who took batting to almost bradmanesque between 2002 to 2007 may never be replicated, and Tendulkar has been almost non entity since jan 2004 , he has scored 6 hundreds where as ponting has scored 16 hundreds, tendulkar scored 2000 odd runs in the same period where as ponting has scored more than 5000 runs, based on these stats alone you can see there is no comparision between ponting and Tendulkar. Tendulkar in last five years cant even be mentioned in the same breadth as ricky ponting who is by far the best batsman in world and it is not even close. Tendulkar being the best batsmen in world is a decade old statement, in last 5 years he has done little to prove otherwise.He is still in the game just becuase of his resume not becuase he is worth his place in the team. Still you have come to conclusion that Tendulkar will outlast Ponting.
i thought i cud have a meaningful discussion here but the statements in bold has just showed how meaningless your thoughts are about Sachin..anyway Punter is not a genius whereas Sachin is..and his genius will eventually be the winner..
i thought i cud have a meaningful discussion here but the statements in bold has just showed how meaningless your thoughts are about Sachin..anyway Punter is not a genius whereas Sachin is..and his genius will eventually be the winner..
i gave you the stats and you are saying my thoughts are meaningless, can anyone in right mind say in last 5 years ricky and sachin perfomances are on par. your statement above just shows you are one of those blind followers of him who think he cant do anything wrong and is numero uno forever.
i gave you the stats and you are saying my thoughts are meaningless, can anyone in right mind say in last 5 years ricky and sachin perfomances are on par. your statement above just shows you are one of those blind followers of him who think he cant do anything wrong and is numero uno forever.
well i was referring to your statement that Sachin is there in the team because of his past achievements..you cant be serious rite..just for the records we won the England series because of him..yes our bowlers bowled well but who was the consistent performer in that series..Sachin Ramesh Tendulkar..how much did he score against aussies down under..494 runs in 4 test matches which was the highest from both teams..he was injured in the SA series and had one bad series in SL..so doesnt your statement look meaningless now.. Look everyone knows that Punter plundered runs from 2002-2007 but from early 2007 onwards Punter has been averaging around 46 and i dont see him recreating his devastating form.. Although Sachin has been averaging the same number in the last 12 months but his recent performances barring the SL one has been very good and he is looking much more positive now..a fit Sachin will always race ahead of Punter anytime..thats my perspective and thats wat i think will happen..but if u think Punter will break Sachins record then i have no problem with it..its ur perspective..ur comment abt he being in the team because of his resume is wat irked me and that i totally dont agree with.. and just for the statistics..SRTs avg in the period from Jan 2002 to Jan 2006 is 53 and which my friend is the answer to your question as to wat he did in that period..injuries and bad form hit him in 2006 but he is back now
in terms of Achievements in cricket, what Ponting has achieved will never ever be equaled by Sachin, and overall he has better career than Sachin.Ponting won three world cups two as captain, and his winning all those tests matches , Sachin can only dream about.Ricky has always delivered in crunch which sachin rarely did, I dont understand this logic how ricky can fall of the map and Sachin can still hang on whereas in reality is showing Sachin falling of his high pedestal and Ricky still is there.but to all his blind fans he can be there in the end and Ricky can fall of the map and just vanish.
Everyone in the world including the likes of Rahul Dravid, Brian Lara, Ponting, Kallis et al you name it everyone has tried to catch him. It's not for any reason he holds he record for max 100s in both forms of cricket and most runs in both forms of cricket. Let Ponting come closer and we shall then discuss this. Ponting is still 2000 runs away from Tendulkar and what makes you think Tendulkar will not score enough? Doesn't matter what Sachin will hold pretty much all batting records by the time he retires.
well i was referring to your statement that Sachin is there in the team because of his past achievements..you cant be serious rite..just for the records we won the England series because of him..yes our bowlers bowled well but who was the consistent performer in that series..Sachin Ramesh Tendulkar..how much did he score against aussies down under..494 runs in 4 test matches which was the highest from both teams..he was injured in the SA series and had one bad series in SL..so doesnt your statement look meaningless now.. Look everyone knows that Punter plundered runs from 2002-2007 but from early 2007 onwards Punter has been averaging around 46 and i dont see him recreating his devastating form.. Although Sachin has been averaging the same number in the last 12 months but his recent performances barring the SL one has been very good and he is looking much more positive now..a fit Sachin will always race ahead of Punter anytime..thats my perspective and thats wat i think will happen..but if u think Punter will break Sachins record then i have no problem with it..its ur perspective..ur comment abt he being in the team because of his resume is wat irked me and that i totally dont agree with.. and just for the statistics..SRTs avg in the period from Jan 2002 to Jan 2006 is 53 and which my friend is the answer to your question as to wat he did in that period..injuries and bad form hit him in 2006 but he is back now
why are you getting 2002 into picture, if you read my statement i said from Jan 2004 after till now punter and Sachin are not in the same planet.if you take two centuries which sachin has scored against inept Bangladesh he has scored 4 100s against rest of test nations.in the same vein punter scored 16 tons. This year alone punter avg is higher than sachin and has scored 3 hundreds to 2 which sachin has scored and Sachin played more tests than punter. Yes in my opinion Sachin is in the team because of his resume and not the other way around.How can this record which Sachin has achieved has any value when he took more than 20 tests than what lara took, has any importance. His Avg was in high 57s in 2004 and now it is low 54s which shows how much he has fallen down.you cannot be selective of what you want to show and say oh he was injured and was in bad form so we will neglect that Stats dont lie, they are there for everyone to see. If he was injured why was he playing to detriment of the team if he is playing and does not perform , then he is doing his team and country a disservice.everybody else in team has to justify his place in team but not sachin and that has to stop for this team to get better, This is what have done for me lately world not what you have done in past he did great things in past.for last 30 test match he has hit 5 hundreds and perfomed way below his prime form .
Everyone in the world including the likes of Rahul Dravid' date=' Brian Lara, Ponting, Kallis et al you name it everyone has tried to catch him.[/quote'] That's rubbish and this whole topic is the same. The issue of how many runs a batsman scores is nonsense. It's a team game and good players, if they play long enough, will come away from the game with aggregate records. That Sach has scored more runs than anyone else is largely irrelevant - it's more about how long he's played. SRT has played 152 Tests, Ponting 121. Sach has played nearly 6 years longer than Punter. Ponting scores more runs per Test than SRT and averages over 50 runs per innings. SRT doesn't. All this topic says is Lara tips Ponting as next record holder. BIG DEAL. BCL doesn't earn a comparison with Einstein to have worked that out.
That's rubbish and this whole topic is the same. The issue of how many runs a batsman scores is nonsense. It's a team game and good players, if they play long enough, will come away from the game with aggregate records. That Sach has scored more runs than anyone else is largely irrelevant - it's more about how long he's played. SRT has played 152 Tests, Ponting 121. Sach has played nearly 6 years longer than Punter. Ponting scores more runs per Test than SRT and averages over 50 runs per innings. SRT doesn't. All this topic says is Lara tips Ponting as next record holder. BIG DEAL. BCL doesn't earn a comparison with Einstein to have worked that out.
Comparing Ponting to Sachin Tendulkar is as rubbish as it can get. There are only two contemporary batsmen that are at the top of the list for this era i.e Tendulkar and Lara. Not a single great bowler picks the likes of Ponting as the best going around. There surely must be some reason for that. Every bowler I have heard or read speaking about the top batsmen of this era mention Tendulkar and Lara. Ponting is nowhere near the top league of batsmen. You will see in the end where Ponting will end up and it won't be too long either. Hopefully this website will be around then.

If you look at the best of the modern era ... LARA & TENDULKAR WILL ALWAYS BE A LEAGUE ABOVE THE REST. I find it difficult to split Lara & Tendulkar in tests. Lara was more devastating, but Tendulkar is more consistent. Both are excellent strokeplayers. One of the reasons that players like Ponting, Kallis, Dravid, Hayden, etc dont come close to those 2 is the era in which they dominated. Look at the best bowlers of the last 6 years ... Harmison, Flintoff, Vaas, an ageing Shaun Pollock, an ageing Muralitharan, Ntini. These are the bowlers that Ricky Ponting in his absolute peak was carting around. Now compare that to the bowlers that Lara & Tendulkar were carting around in their respective peaks ... Wasim Akram, Waqar Younis, Curtly Ambrose, Courtney Walsh, Imran Khan, Muralitharan (when his doosra was hard to pick), Saqlain, Allan Donald, Shaun Pollock (in his prime), Glenn McGrath, Shane Warne. The last 2 are a key factor. The 2 best bowlers in recent years have been McGrath and Warne ... 2 guys Ponting has never faced at international level. So basically, if you look at the bowlers that they dominated in their respective peaks (also take into account the less batsman friendly conditions that existed back then) and its pretty clear ... Lara & Tendulkar are the 2 best of the modern era!!! Ponting can score as many runs as he wants, but it wont change that. The quality of the bowlers in the world nowadays just doesnt compare with that of the Tendulkar/Lara era.

This is NOT one of those tedious, nonsensical SRT v. Ponting threads - although the last 2 posters just continue on, regardless. I only put those stats in to indicate, as long as he plays a similar number of Tests to Sach, that Punter will have the higher numbers. Has nothing to do with who's better.

This is NOT one of those tedious, nonsensical SRT v. Ponting threads - although the last 2 posters just continue on, regardless. I only put those stats in to indicate, as long as he plays a similar number of Tests to Sach, that Punter will have the higher numbers. Has nothing to do with who's better.
If judging performances based on number of tests was the only yardstick a lot of them should be able to get there. Just because Ponting has had few good years it doesn't mean he will have another 3 good years. With Tendulkar that is not a problem because he has shown good consistency over the time. Regardless of all that Tendulkar is currently the highest run getter in both form of cricket. I don't reckon that is going to be beaten in a hurry.
If judging performances based on number of tests was the only yardstick a lot of them should be able to get there.
A lot of them ? Oh really ? How many cricketers have played more Tests than Sach ? I make it 2. Steve Waugh & Border - and both 'got there'.
I know its not meant to be one of those threads. I am just saying that even though its inevtiable that Ponting will overtake Sachin, it wont take anything away from the greatness of Sachin Tendulkar ... just like Sachin overtaking Lara has not diminished Lara's achievements in anyway. That was my point.
Ponting scores more runs per Test than SRT and averages over 50 runs per innings. SRT doesn't. .
What rubbish!!! Sachin averages over 50 runs per innings in fact he averages 54. Stop talking cr#p! Sotp trying to make out that sachin just has runs cos of how long he has played. In last series the two played together in oz he out gunned your beloved ponting in tests and odis. And he will out gun him again in this series as well! Also ponting will not beat sachins records. Sachin will pile on the runs in next two years