Did you folks see on the crowded car (victory lap)...did u notice?

fineleg

Dada was waving and bidding his final goodbyes... Mishra and yengsters were smiling and waving (ZK too, I think quite animated) Munaf Patel and RPS were quite happy to be part of the team and enjoying... Did you see Dravid? Not animated at all...seemed very gloomy. I noticed a few times when they showed the car. He was quite dull. A half a smile once in a while when his team mates were waving, but thats about it. He knows something - is he gonna announce retirement or is it just sinking into him the chop is coming?

If he has a few good Ranji knocks...then I think it would be the gracious thing to do to give him the England series as a swansong. I feel really bad for him...even his catching has suffered...he was such a great catcher before....this sows his mind is not right. If he can get that in order...then he will be able to play well again.

i think there are 3 ranji matches before the test series. let's see. if he shows signs of regaining form, allow him to play England series on the basis that he will retire after the series. If he still sucks in Ranjis, let him regain form before giving him a retirement series.....

If he has a few good Ranji knocks...then I think it would be the gracious thing to do to give him the England series as a swansong. I feel really bad for him...even his catching has suffered...he was such a great catcher before....this sows his mind is not right. If he can get that in order...then he will be able to play well again.
This makes no sense. Dravid doesn't need to retire and the last thing he needs is nother pressure series where batting at number 3 he triggers a mini collapse in the team like he has done twice in this series. Let him go back to domestic cricket and play for a few months to get back his rhythym and confidence and EARN his selection back. A couple of Ranji matches isn't going to do anything for his form that series after series after series of failed test matches couldn't do.
He is getting VRS for the England series. It's only two tests isn't? So farewell is good although he doesn't deserve it. I had hoped he would have retired 3 series ago.
he desrves it as much as anyone else.hes in the league of sachin n kumble n much ahead of gangs n vvs.he deserves a grand farewell but not yet
What a selfish guy. Cannot enjoy a team victory' date=' his own performance counts for more.[/quote'] ya how selfish!kept wickets when india needed to play wid 7 bats. opens the innings in absence of an opener despite being capt.n even in aus to accomodate yuvi.gives up captaincy despite having just led india to series win in england knowing he cant concentrate enuf n contribute to team while being capt. rahul is the last man u could call selfish.hes the most selfless cricketer i've seen he generally doesnt smile much so we cant say he doesnt enjoy team performance. btw did u see his joy while holding the trophy wen they sachin,ganguly n laxy opened champagne,that isnt sign of a selfish man
I dont think Dravid should be played in Englad test. I am feeling sorry for the legend that I have admired all these years. But in this form' date=' we just can not play him. Vijay and others are knocking loud on the door now....a sound we can no more ignore.[/quote'] having two many youngsters would be suicidal.gangs has just retired,so theres a place.but youngsters however good they are, they need guidance to succeed,rahul needs to be there to guide them.however he needs to be pushed down to no.5. laxman should occupy the crucial no.3 slot
This makes no sense. Dravid doesn't need to retire and the last thing he needs is nother pressure series where batting at number 3 he triggers a mini collapse in the team like he has done twice in this series. Let him go back to domestic cricket and play for a few months to get back his rhythym and confidence and EARN his selection back. A couple of Ranji matches isn't going to do anything for his form that series after series after series of failed test matches couldn't do.
Couldn't agree more. Dravid should not be considered for the English series. He needs a long break. 2 Ranji games are not going to do it. He needs to change his technique a bit and also calm his mind. It'd definitely take at least 5-6 Ranji games for that to happen.

Dravid single-handedly almost lost this test match for us. Between his drops in the slips to guys like Hayden and getting out on like a tail ender he handed the momentum right back to Australia every time he was in action. I love the guy but the last thing this team needs is Dravid anywhere near the squad. He needs to take an extended break to get back his form.

Just being realistic. He is not getting any younger and for him to make a comeback from Ranji matches if he misses the England test series is a long shot....selectors will back a youngster who is performing over him. An extended Ranji sojourn will see Dravid never regain his spot in the team. A youngster will come in and cement his place in the team and the selectors will move on and Dravid will fade away into the memory of Indian fans....such us the fickle nature of cricket selection and fans. The way I see it is...the England test series is looking like his last test series for an exit at the top.

Dravid single-handedly almost lost this test match for us. Between his drops in the slips to guys like Hayden and getting out on like a tail ender he handed the momentum right back to Australia every time he was in action. I love the guy but the last thing this team needs is Dravid anywhere near the squad. He needs to take an extended break to get back his form.
All I think he needs a break and get away from game for few weeks clear his mind and play in ranji to get his form back.
Just being realistic. He is not getting any younger and for him to make a comeback from Ranji matches if he misses the England test series is a long shot....selectors will back a youngster who is performing over him. An extended Ranji sojourn will see Dravid never regain his spot in the team. A youngster will come in and cement his place in the team and the selectors will move on and Dravid will fade away into the memory of Indian fans....such us the fickle nature of cricket selection and fans. The way I see it is...the England test series is looking like his last test series for an exit at the top.
Not really, there have been plenty of batsmen that have come in and gone from the test side including Jaffer, Kaif, etc etc, and in the mean time guys like Sehwag/Gambhir/Ganguly have come back into the team. All Dravid needs to do is what every other batsmen in contention has been doing. Score a ton of runs in domestic cricket and he will be included in a squad for a series as he still is just 35. Really, it's not a difficult concept, but the media and some players treat it as if it's the end of their career or something. I'll bet being dropped like Gambhir/Sehwag/Ganguly were was a great thing for their careers in the long run.

He won't be playing the ODI's so make sure he gets some Ranji trophy practice and see where we go from there, but if Dravid doesn't provide some special knocks in Ranji trophy, I don't think he should be picked, he looks dismally out of form Its such a sad sight, this guy has carried the team many times and now he could possibly be forced out of the team

Really, it's not a difficult concept, but the media and some players treat it as if it's the end of their career or something. I'll bet being dropped like Gambhir/Sehwag/Ganguly were was a great thing for their careers in the long run.
In the LONG run. If you believe that Dravid is mid-career, then yes, it is a good move. I am of the opinion that he is very near the end of his career and thus a prolonged sojourn in Ranji cricket will see him gone forever...bearing in mind the younger ones pressing for a place in the squad as well. All it will take is one to do well at test level and he will not get a look in again because selectors will go for the LONG run and thus with the younger player. I could be wrong, but this is what I think to be the case. In particular now that Dhoni is leading the side and there is a wind of change and youth about it.