Harbhajan moves to fifth spot in ICC bowlers' rankings

TaNk

New Delhi, Nov 11 (IANS) After an inspiring performance in the Test series against Australia, Indian off-spinner Harbhajan Singh moved two places to the seventh spot in the bowler's list in the latest Test rankings released by the International Cricket Council (ICC). The off-spinner picked up 15 wickets in the three Tests and is now enjoying his highest rankings in five years. The 28-year-old took seven wickets in the fourth Test against Australia at Nagpur and, as a result, has moved past Chaminda Vaas of Sri Lanka and Pakistan's Shoaib Akhtar but is still well behind the next highest placed Ryan Sidebottom of England and also Australia's Brett Lee, who had a disappointing series by his standards taking eight wickets at an average of 61.62. Meanwhile, the news is not so good for Zaheer Khan who loses three places following the Nagpur Test and now sits in 18th position. The left-arm pacer took just one wicket for 125 runs in the fourth Test as his new-ball partner Ishant Sharma continued to shine at the other end. Sharma is up six places to 30th position after taking another four wickets in the match and being named as the player of the series. It is the first time the 20-year-old has broken into the top 30 during his short career to date. Leg-spinner Amit Mishra continues his rise in the bowling rankings, gaining six places to 43rd position, a remarkable showing considering he has played just three Tests. The bowling rankings continue to be headed by Sri Lanka's Muttiah Muralitharan, followed by South Africa's Dale Steyn in second place and Clark. In the batting rankings Sachin Tendulkar continued his current patch of good form registering his 40th Test century at that match in Nagpur. He gained three places in the process and now sits in 16th position just behind Australia vice-captain Michael Clarke, who loses one place to 15th. Virender Sehwag has moved up two places to 11th spot and is now very close behind Jacques Kallis of South Africa (10th) and Matthew Hayden (9th) of Australia. The West Indies' Shivnarine Chanderpaul is still top of the batting list followed very closely by Kumar Sangakkara of Sri Lanka in second place. Australia captain Ricky Ponting has slipped two places to seventh in the rankings and out of the top five for the first time since 2004. The Tasmanian scored a century in the first innings of the first Test of the four-match series but since then has averaged only 23.83 and that led to his speedy slide down the list. Batsmen: 1.Shivnarine Chanderpaul (West Indies) 890 rating points 2.Kumar Sangakkara (Sri Lanka) 886 3.Mohammed Yousuf (Pakistan) 880 4.Mike Hussey (Australia) 876 5.Mahela Jayawardena (Sri Lanka) 837 6.Kevin Pietersen (England) 829 7.Ricky Ponting (Australia) 826 8.Younis Khan (Pakistan) 799 9.Matthew Hayden (Australia) 781 10.Jacques Kallis (South Africa) 774 Bowlers: 1.Muttiah Muralitharan (Sri Lanka) 895 2.Dale Steyn (South Africa) 847 3.Stuart Clark (Australia) 821 4.Makhaya Ntini (South Africa) 760 5.Brett Lee (Australia) and Ryan Sidebottom (England) 738 7.Harbhajan Singh (India) 688 8.Chaminda Vaas (Sri Lanka) and Shoaib Akhtar (Pakistan) 684 10.Shane Bond (New Zealand) 654 All-rounders: 1.Jacques Kallis (South Africa) 458 2.Daniel Vettori (New Zealand) 369 3.Andrew Flintoff (England) 302 4.Dwayne Bravo (West Indies) 295 5.Chaminda Vaas (Sri Lanka) 281

Harbhajan enjoys highest ranking for five years Off-spinner gains two places to seventh in latest Reliance Mobile ICC Player Rankings; Sharma into top 30 for first time; Krejza enters list in 49th spot; upward moves for Tendulkar, Sehwag and Mishra as Ponting slips out of top five batsmen for first time since 2004 India’s Harbhajan Singh has gained two places in the latest Reliance Mobile ICC Player Rankings for Test bowlers and is now in seventh position, the highest ranking the off-spinner has enjoyed since 2003. The 28-year-old took seven wickets in the fourth Test against Australia at Nagpur and, as a result, has moved past Chaminda Vaas of Sri Lanka and Pakistan’s Shoaib Akhtar but is still well behind the next highest placed Ryan Sidebottom of England and also Australia’s Brett Lee, who had a disappointing series by his standards taking eight wickets at an average of 61.62. That compares to Harbhajan’s 15 wickets at 28.86. Harbhajan’s batting has also continued to impress in this series and his 18 not out and 52 at Nagpur means he gains six places to 87th in the Reliance Mobile ICC Player Rankings for Test batsmen and two places to 11th in the all-rounders’ list. Meanwhile, the news is not so good for Zaheer Khan who loses three places following the Nagpur Test and now sits in 18th position. The left-arm pacer took just one wicket for 125 runs in the fourth Test as his new-ball partner Ishant Sharma continued to shine at the other end. Sharma is up six places to 30th position after taking another four wickets in the match and being named as the player of the series. It is the first time the 20-year-old has broken into the top 30 during his short career to date. Leg-spinner Amit Mishra continues his rise in the bowling rankings, gaining six places to 43rd position, a remarkable showing considering he has played just three Tests. Speaking of spinners, Jason Krejza of Australia has shot straight into the bowling rankings in 49th position after taking 12 wickets on debut at Nagpur. Only two bowlers – Bob Massie (16-137) for Australia against England at Lord’s in 1972 and Narendra Hirwani (16-136) for India in 1988 against the West Indies at what was then called Madras – have taken more wickets on debut than the 25-year-old New South Welshman. Mind you, only one bowler in history – Tommy Scott of the West Indies (9-374 against England at his home ground of Sabina Park, Jamaica in 1930) – has conceded more runs in a match than the 358 Krejza gave up at Nagpur. Krejza’s team-mate Mitchell Johnson has dropped three places to 31st position, meaning Australia now has only two bowlers in the top 30 – Lee and third-placed Stuart Clark – the first time for more than 20 years that has happened. The bowling rankings continue to be headed by Sri Lanka’s Muttiah Muralidaran, followed by South Africa’s Dale Steyn in second place and Clark. In the batting rankings Sachin Tendulkar continued his current patch of good form registering his 40th Test century at that match in Nagpur. The Little Master gained three places in the process and now sits in 16th position just behind Australia vice-captain Michael Clarke, who loses one place to 15th, and England’s Alastair Cook, who is in the England squad to face India in two Tests next month. Virender Sehwag has moved up two places to 11th spot after scoring 66 and 92 in the match and is now very close behind Jacques Kallis of South Africa (in 10th place) and Matthew Hayden of Australia (in ninth place). The West Indies’ Shivnarine Chanderpaul is still top of the batting list followed very closely by Kumar Sangakkara of Sri Lanka in second place. Australia captain Ricky Ponting has slipped two places to seventh in the rankings and out of the top five for the first time since 2004. The Tasmanian scored a century in the first innings of the first Test of the four-match series but since then has averaged only 23.83 and with competition fierce at the top of the Reliance Mobile ICC Player Rankings, that has led to his speedy slide down the list. There is no change in the top five of the Reliance Mobile ICC Player Rankings for Test all-rounders with Kallis still leading the world followed by New Zealand captain Daniel Vettori in second place and Andrew Flintoff of England in third spot.

Bhajji PWNS PWNting India off-spinner Harbhajan Singh on Tuesday said the incident in Sydney early this year inspired his side to the historic 2-0 thrashing of the Australians and challenged Ricky Ponting that he would dismiss him any time, even without playing cricket for six months. "I think the events in the Sydney Test match really hurt all of us. The things that they accused me of and their overall approach irked us as a team. I can safely say that the events at the Sydney Test inspired us to beat Aussies," Harbhajan said. The Punjab offie said he did not consider Ponting a 'complete batsman' as the Australian captain had failed to leave a mark against the Indians. "Ponting had a lot to say about our players and about the way we play our cricket. In fact, it is Ponting who first needs to go and learn to bat against spin bowling. "He got a hundred in the first Test match in Bangalore but I don't think that is enough, I think that was pretty unusual for him, he needs to comeback and score some more before he can claim to be a complete batsman," Harbhajan told ESPN STAR SPORTS. Harbhajan has so far dismissed Ponting 10 times including the two occasions in the four-match with the Australians losing 0-2. "I can get Ponting out any time, I think I can get him even after I come post a six-month lay off," Harbhajan said. During the series, the Australians continued to play mind games. Adam Gilchrist and Andrew Symonds did it in their books while Ponting did in his captain's diary. Harbhajan lashed out at them for employing cheap tactics to shore up the sale of their books. "The whole team was infuriated by the claims made by Adam Gilchrist about Sachin Tendulkar. He (Tendulkar) and insulting him was a big mistake and Gilchrist accused him of things that he never did. "The whole world knows what happened in that game. To be honest, I think they are just trying to sell their books," said Harbhajan who took 15 wickets to play a pivotal role in India's series win. Harbhajan said he had some great moments in the series but his dismissal of Michael Hussey was the best. "I think it was the best ball of my career so far. To get a batsman like Hussey and the way I did was very satisfying," he said. http://cricketnext.in.com/news/harbhajan-ridicules-ponting-throws-challenge/35508-13-single.html :clap: :yay: :icflove: This thread is dedicated to fineleg :yawn2:

"I can get Ponting out any time, I think I can get him even after I come post a six-month lay off," Harbhajan said.
He bowled well and got him, no doubt. Typical OTT comment from Bhajji - "I can get him after 6 months of no cricket" etc etc. Why does he have to say all that? This is where folks like Dravid, Tendulkar, Kumble et.al rise above HS. They do the job silently (well, not RD in this series, but still the meta point remains). They let the bat or the ball speak for itself. Even MSD for the most part lets the cricket speak for itself. They dont ridicule other cricketers.

Well... Bhajji has backed up his talk with wickets and runs. Ponting has none, Symonds isn't playing and Gilly retired for the sake of IPL. McGrath and Warne used to rub it in all the time similarly. Not only did they rub it in, they backed it up with terrific performances. I can't find fault in Bhajji this time around, he has walked the talk.

He bowled well and got him, no doubt. Typical OTT comment from Bhajji - "I can get him after 6 months of no cricket" etc etc. Why does he have to say all that? This is where folks like Dravid, Tendulkar, Kumble et.al rise above HS. They do the job silently (well, not RD in this series, but still the meta point remains). They let the bat or the ball speak for itself. Even MSD for the most part lets the cricket speak for itself. They dont ridicule other cricketers.
Exactly ... what is the need for this? Im dissapointed. He doesnt need to ridicule other players. Yes McGrath and Warne did it ... and that says something about them . Harbhajan doesnt need to do the same.
Exactly ... what is the need for this? Im dissapointed. He doesnt need to ridicule other players. Yes McGrath and Warne did it ... and that says something about them . Harbhajan doesnt need to do the same.
Yes, he certainly can do it without ridicule. But I guess he's playing for the gallery, and the gallery of flamys are dancing in joy! Go gallery.