Obama moment in cricket

Gambit

Not really an Obama moment Gambo. Many "whiteish" cricketers have represented West Indies, perhaps the last notable one being Larry Gomes. In the initial years West Indies was represented mostly by Whites. Gerry Alexander was the last white to lead West Indies and if I am not mistaken Frank Worrell became the first coloured captain of West Indies, ever since which it has remained the same.

Not really an Obama moment Gambo. Many "whiteish" cricketers have represented West Indies' date=' perhaps the last notable one being Larry Gomes. In the initial years West Indies was represented mostly by Whites. Gerry Alexander was the last white to lead West Indies and if I am not mistaken Frank Worrell became the first coloured captain of West Indies, ever since which it has remained the same.[/quote'] Correct. Gambit, you should read CLR James' Beyond a Boundary to get some perspective on this issue. A lot written there about the cultures of the old West Indian teams, and how Worrell especially had what you're calling the Obama moments - breaking the mould and being the first non-white captain of WI.
Not really an Obama moment Gambo. Many "whiteish" cricketers have represented West Indies' date=' perhaps the last notable one being Larry Gomes. In the initial years West Indies was represented mostly by Whites. Gerry Alexander was the last white to lead West Indies and if I am not mistaken Frank Worrell became the first coloured captain of West Indies, ever since which it has remained the same.[/quote'] I know about Gerry Alexander Lurker but all those incidents were way back in the day. Heck, WI have also had a Chinaman play for them. Why it's an Obama moment today was because the WI team are now associated with only Black cricketers. 2 generations of cricket followers would not have seen a white cricketer represent them.
I know about Gerry Alexander Lurker but all those incidents were way back in the day.
I thought you would Gambo. Gerry Alexander was a pretty popular cricketer and I beleive he also led West Indies to India.
Heck, WI have also had a Chinaman play for them.
Eric Achong???

Brendan Nash West Indies/Australia Player profile Full name Brendan Paul Nash Born December 14, 1977, Attadale, Western Australia Current age 30 years 334 days Major teams West Indies, Jamaica, Queensland Nickname Bubba Batting style Left-hand bat Bowling style Left-arm medium Height 1.73 m