Yuvi definitely a frontrunner for Test slot: Chief selector

fineleg

Its just a matter of having the "feel" of being important to the side. Yuvraj performs when the stage is his. And I think once Dravid and Ganguly are gone' date=' ( which is now), he will have a greater role in the middle order , and also a sense of importance, and yes there will be plenty more innings like that 170 in tests too. I think Yuvraj may also score a 200 very very soon, in tests.[/quote'] So far ... all Yuvraj has done in Tests is show us that he can score runs against Pakistan.
One of the greatest enigmas of world cricket is how a guy can be so effortlessly destructive against top quality attacks in one form of the game and then look pathetically out of depth against same set of bowlers in another form of the game.This isnt the first time Yuvraj has dazzled us with his strokeplay and it wont be the last either.
Thats why - its cricket and its Test cricket at its best. The pitches are different, the goals are different, the attack and fielding is different, and the situation and power of concentration required is enormous. Yuvi has done very well in short form of the game, but really needs to prove he is strong in concentration for Test cricket.
Thats why - its cricket and its Test cricket at its best. The pitches are different, the goals are different, the attack and fielding is different, and the situation and power of concentration required is enormous. Yuvi has done very well in short form of the game, but really needs to prove he is strong in concentration for Test cricket.
hahaha..nice timing. :winky: He scored a century 30 mins ago, ffs.

Adam gilchrist, one of the alltime batsmen wikikeppers in the world, didnt start his test career till he was 27 just beofre his birthday, and yet with his record with average of high 40s and 17 centuries it isnt bad for a late commer. Yuvraj if he maintains his performance in odi and as well as ranji in India I am sure he can get a call up. For replacing Ganguly, I dont know. ATM he is our best odi player par sachin probably, and our most experineced. He is doing well due to good experience and a great odi record, I am almost positive he will pas 10,000 in odi if he plays till 34 and donesnt have any serious injuries or problems. Though of course it is at home, and Yuvi dominates at home. Overall keep it up yuvi in odis and ranji and im sure u will get picked when the moment is right!!!!!!! Singh is King:--D

Yuvi definitely a frontrunner for Test slot: Chief selector Focus isn’t a problem, says Krish Srikkanth. More... Focus isn’t a problem, says Krish Srikkanth - Yuvi definitely a frontrunner for Test slot: Chief selector LOKENDRA PRATAP SAHI srikanth.jpg Srikkanth Calcutta: Chief selector Krishnamachari Srikkanth doesn’t share predecessor Dilip Vengsarkar’s rather negative views on Yuvraj Singh, who has produced two absolute gems (in Rajkot, Indore) within four days. Both, by the way, are former India captains. “I’ve never felt Yuvi has a problem focusing on what he’s required to do... I’ve always seen him as a confidence-player and such players need a couple of good knocks under their belt,” the Chennai-based Srikkanth told The Telegraph. Speaking on Monday evening, an hour after Yuvraj walked away with his second MoM award in as many ODIs, Srikkanth added: “I see Yuvi as a potential match-winner in Tests too... Over the years, he has already shown he's a match-winner in ODIs.” Vengsarkar, who was in the chair when Yuvraj got dropped from the Test squad in July, didn’t have anything positive to say on the eve of the ongoing series against England. “Yuvi is extremely talented, but he lacks the focus required to excel in international cricket,” he told a TV channel. Significantly, Yuvraj declined to react (“we’ve been advised by the Board only to speak at press conferences”), but a confidant did offer a comment on Super Monday. “Performances talk and Yuvi’s contribution in the first two ODIs speaks loud and clear...” The confidant added: “Yuvi is coming off tough months... Dropped from the Test squad, removed as the vice-captain in ODIs... Tell me, how could he have performed, and not just in one match, if he wasn’t focused?” Point there. Back to Srikkanth... Asked whether Yuvraj, whose last (23rd) Test appearance was in April, had now positioned himself firmly for the slot vacated by one-time mentor Sourav Ganguly, he replied: “There are others in the running as well, but Yuvi is definitely a frontrunner.” That Rahul Dravid is struggling even in the Ranji Trophy, and doesn’t seem a certainty for the first Test against England, next month, is bound to strengthen Yuvraj’s case. Complimenting Yuvraj for his performances in Rajkot (a blistering 138) and Indore (a classy 118 and four for 28), the effervescent Srikkanth said: “He has been brilliant... Rajkot had a batting track, but the Indore wicket was on the slower side and Yuvi had to first hold the innings together... He proved that he can be a match-winner from any situation... As chief selector, I’m very happy...” Yuvraj turns 27 during the first Test (in Motera) and, hopefully, there will be reason for him to celebrate big. Without compromising on the focus bit, that is. Clearly, Yuvraj has to make the most of every opportunity at the Test level if he’s to figure in Fab Four II. Right now, Virender Sehwag and Mahendra Singh Dhoni are the only ones assured of featuring in it. Yuvraj has to target one of the remaining slots.

Srikkanth backs Yuvraj for Ganguly slot

Kris Srikkanth, the chairman of India's national selectors, has backed Yuvraj Singh to take the Test middle-order spot vacated by Sourav Ganguly, the former captain who has retired. Yuvraj made two consecutive match-winning hundreds (138* and 118) against England in the first two ODIs of the seven-match series over the last five days, and also picked up a four-wicket haul in Indore yesterday. Srikkanth told the Kolkata-based Telegraph that he now sees Yuvraj as the front-runner to take Ganguly's slot. "I see Yuvi as a potential match-winner in Tests too. Over the years, he has already shown he's a match-winner in ODIs," Srikkanth said. "There are others in the running as well (for Ganguly's slot), but Yuvi is definitely a front-runner." Yuvraj has had an inconsistent run in Test cricket, having played just 23 matches for 1050 runs since his debut five years ago. However, the 26-year-old has been a mainstay for India in one-day cricket having piled up 6397 runs in 219 matches. While Dilip Vengsarkar, the former India captain and previous chief selector, had recently blamed Yuvraj's inconsistency at the highest level on a lack of focus, Srikkanth said it had more to do with confidence. "I've never felt Yuvi has a problem focusing on what he's required to do. I've always seen him as a confidence-player and such players need a couple of good knocks under their belt," Srikkanth said. Asked about Yuvraj's latest run of form, Srikkanth said, "He has been brilliant. Rajkot had a batting track, but the Indore wicket was on the slower side and Yuvi had to first hold the innings together. He proved that he can be a match-winner from any situation." The Indian selectors will meet on Thursday in Kanpur, after the third ODI between India and England, to select the team for the rest of the series. © Cricinfo
Guest HariSampath

Here is what Srikkanth had answered on Yuvraj , here on ICF , last year before Australian tour itself.

Yuvraj Singh has been knocking on the doors of the test-team for a while now. Do you think its time to induct him into the team , looking past the claims of players of Laxman and maybe even Ganguly ?
Srikkanth's answer
Yuvraj certainly deserves a place in the Indian playiing 11. Because of Ganguly's return, he is probably unfortunate not to find a place in the 11. But he should certainly play, and maybe will very soon.

He will replace dada no doubts. Will yuv unlock the secret to consistent run scoring in tests? I believe his main problem as that if he is struggling a bit and needs to grind it out for an hour or two or he can't do that. When going through a tough period he looks very nervous and just gets out. Compare him to sachin or laxman. If they are not feeling good they battle through for an hour and then come good. However, he is till very young as only 26, this is often over looked. So still has plenty of scope for improvement and finding the answers to being a good test player. Many great test players made their debut in late 20s and even early 30s. Also his pathetic performance in oz. Maybe this was not proof of his inability to deliver in tests. Maybe he was simply in horrible form and horrible form can hapen to anyone. It would be like writing of ponting after 2001. Jury is out on yuvi. Still has pleny of scope to be a great tests match player.