Murali and Mendis greatest spin attack ever!

Guest HariSampath

oh yes....we won....but Mendis pretty much owned our odi team in BD and in Asia cup...we all saw it..we still cant say we pwn Mendis...both our test team as well as odi team have to do it before we talk....on his part he has done both

oh yes....we won....but Mendis pretty much owned our odi team in BD and in Asia cup...we all saw it..we still cant say we pwn Mendis...both our test team as well as odi team have to do it before we talk....on his part he has done both
what ? In BD ? what the hell ? Also, it was just one ODI match, the final of Asia cup that we got owned. Because that was the first match in which we played Mendis. I think the fact that we won the SL ODI series means he can be controlled in ODIs. Also in tests, our openers did very well against Mendis btw. Sehwag scored a double, Gambhir scored big fifties afaik
Guest HariSampath

but we lost 1-2.....and still our main test batters fab 4 were totally pwnd...also in odis, Mendis pwned us once, and we managed to win the odi series in SL ( becos of SL batting poorly)..so its even there

That exactly is what I mean. Mendis can be picked' date= and he can be played, but all that the batsmen will be looking out to do is to *stop* him, *avoid* getting LBW etc. The sheer variety he has makes it necessary for batters to make survival their primary aim, and how much does it take for one delivery to get past, and the batter to make one mistake of just 1-2 inches in line of ball ? It will happen much much more often when facing Mendis than others. The worst case scenario when facing a top quality spinner like Warne, Murali etc is 2 possible options for the batter : ball coming in or away/straighter in case of offspin and vice versa in case of legspin. The action of the bowler's wrist position in almost all cases makes it possible for the batter to read the ball just BEFORE the moment of delivery, and its a fraction of a second earlier for seasoned and top quality batsmen like Tendulkar. In the case of Mendis this 2 way variety becomes a 3 way variety. 1) he bowls a very good regular offspin delivery, the type a fastish bowler does. 2) he bowls a freak leg break, the finger spinning front of the hand carrom ball 3) he bowls a genuine googly. He does all this " in front of his hand/fingers", with minimum wrist change and the 3 way movement is made deadly by the "straighter" option as the alternate for all 3 deliveries, making it a virtual array of possibilities for the batsmen at or a fraction later moment calculated after the delivery instant. Add to this the fact he is pretty quick through the air, and as straight as an arrow , in keeping it between the stumps, you have a lethal bowler, a batsman's nightmare, and a captain's delight. That is why I say that there is no one way to "sort Mendis"...he has to be played ball by ball, all through his career and the probability of a ball sneaking through, batter deceived just by 2 inch line difference and getting out, is incredibly higher than other type of bowlers. In short, if Mendis is bowling to any batsman in the world, however great and classy like Lara or Tendulkar, I would back Mendis to beat them once every 10 deliveries at least, and if I had to back the bowler or batter, I would back Mendis to get the wicket 10/10 times.
do u really believe what u said there? remember sehwag took him to the cleaners in the tests n dhoni n raina too k him apart in odis.even the zimboks,taibu n matsikenyeri attacked him successfully b4 he took 3 tailnders' wickets in recent match.thats in the 1st year wen the batsman dont know about him hes certainly good,but its only talent,his temperament will come into play in 2nd year.wen batsman figure him out n attack him.till then he can be called a very good bowler,but to call him great,let alone greatest is utter stupidity
A tad early to say' date=' will wait for an year or so before coming to that conclusion. [b']Mushtaq Ahmed and Saqlain Mushtaq pair wasn't too bad. The golden years of Indian cricket in the 70s when the spinners ruled were the ultimate in terms of spinning partners. Collectively they took a lot of wickets despite not playing as many test matches as they do these days.
Excellent point. I was just about to say that....they were pretty good as a combo. I think Warne and MacGill were pretty good too. Harbhajan and Kumble have been successful obviously.
Guest dada_rocks

bachcha log 80's mein paida liya hai never heard of spin quartet of yore from India.. No freaking spin atack past presetn or even future comes close to those stalwarts

bachcha log 80's mein paida liya hai never heard of spin quartet of yore from India.. No freaking spin atack past presetn or even future comes close to those stalwarts
You say that but I know a lot of people who didn't rate all 4 of them as highly as you. I won't say too much more because I don't know that much about Venkat, Chandrasekar, Prasanna....but I do tell you who was brilliant- B.S. Bedi, according to my dad :)
You say that but I know a lot of people who didn't rate all 4 of them as highly as you. I won't say too much more because I don't know that much about Venkat, Chandrasekar, Prasanna....but I do tell you who was brilliant- B.S. Bedi, according to my dad :)
Yeah, the people at PP. They don't rate Sachin high enough at all too. It is ok, we can live with it.
10 overs doesn't prove anything. Wait till the tests against Pak..we will know. ODIs and Tests are different ball games. They can still be destructive in Tests' date=' while in ODIs they are not a force at all.[/quote'] Which is why I want us to win a Test series in SL against these M&M. But unfortunately such a series is not being planned for a long time from now!!! We need to avenge the M&M inflicted Test defeats.