Asif all set to join Indian Cricket League

Sachinism

Karachi: Pakistan paceman Mohammad Asif, fighting to avert a doping ban in the Indian Premier League (IPL), is on the verge of joining the India Cricket League (ICL) after he was offered an irressitable sum of money by the unrecognised league. The 25-year-old paceman is due to appear before the IPL doping tribunal on November 29 and after the Pakistan Cricket Board turned a deaf ear to his request for legal support, the paceman is on the verge of signing the ICL. "I am frustrated," admitted Asif when contacted by cricketnirvana.com. "When no one is coming to my support I have no other option left to join the ICL for which other Pakistani players are also playing. My career has come to a halt and no one is bothering," said Asif. Lahore Badhshahs, a team compriised of Pakistan players, won the second edition of the ICL and is in the process of signing some more Pakistan players including Asif. Pakistan new coach Intikhab Alam last week said Asif is a match winner and he would love to see him back in the Pakistan team. source: http://www.cricketnirvana.com/news/international/2008/november/news-20081119-467.html

"I am frustrated," admitted Asif when contacted by cricketnirvana.com. "When no one is coming to my support I have no other option left to join the ICL for which other Pakistani players are also playing. My career has come to a halt and no one is bothering," said Asif. ]
:hysterical: now that noone is buying i-am-innocent-villager BS he goes ahead and delivers a line made for indian soap.
But Pakistan is gonna take back all ICL players...so Asif is probably hoping for a reentry through the ICL route
I don't think they would do that, Hari. They can't afford to be at odds with the BCCI. No one else in the Cricket world supports them on anything except the BCCI. They'll be shooting themselves in the foot if they take back the ICL recruits.
Guest HariSampath
I don't think they would do that' date=' Hari. They can't afford to be at odds with the BCCI. No one else in the Cricket world supports them on anything except the BCCI. They'll be shooting themselves in the foot if they take back the ICL recruits.[/quote'] No...PCB is not as stupid as we thik they are. They are actively courting the support of boards like Sri Lanka, England, Windies and possibly even Australia and NZ, who have all been miffed badly by the attitude of the BCCI in making others kneel for the sake of burying ICL. Additionally "recognize ICL" theme is in fact strongest in India and the reality is that ICL has stuck out the tough period of 18 months, and still not buried....ppl want to see ICL games , like the finals series recently, big cricketers are taking to it, plenty more to follow as India can at best accommodate only 15 players and there are at least 30-40 very good players desperately wanting recognition. So the original idea/concept of ICL...providing game opportunities for those who are not recognised, money contracts, tv fame, and chance for public to see T20 entertainment is very much working and growing. BCCI/ICC will have to recognise this truth, sooner or later., and many cricket boards in the world already have.

Asif serious about lucrative ICL offer Karachi, Nov 19 (IANS) Pakistan's suspended fast bowler Mohammad Asif has received a lucrative offer to play for the breakaway Indian Cricket League (ICL), sources close to the player said Wednesday. The ICL is offering Asif $250,000 per season, which is enough to bail out the lanky pacer who is facing a crisis because of legal battle against a possible drugs ban, according to the sources. Asif featured for the Delhi Daredevils in the inaugural season of the Indian Premier League (IPL) but was caught for doping after failing a drugs test while taking part in the competition. He is now trying to escape a possible two-year ban with help from legal experts from Pakistan and England, something that is costing him a lot of money. Asif recently approached the Pakistan Cricket Board (PCB) for financial support but the board turned down his plea. The PCB had suspended Asif from all cricket after it was disclosed that he tested positive for banned anabolic steroid nandrolone while playing in the IPL this May. Sources said that Asif was recently approached by the ICL to play in the rebel league and the bowler is now seriously considering the offer. Currently 18 Pakistani cricketers are playing in ICL that features a team - Lahore Badshahs - from Pakistan. The Badshahs led by former Pakistan captain Inzamam-ul-Haq recently won the ICL crown in Ahmedabad by beating Hyderabad Heroes in the finals. The ICL has also offered a contract to young Pakistan fast bowler Sohail Khan, who made his one-day debut for the national team earlier this year.

definitely. Anyway' date=' me thinks it will fizzle out in a year.[/quote'] You wish. Teh crowd for the finals of ICL were 10 tiems more than that which turned for India Aus test. Even advitisers and sponsors have started investing more in ICL. ICL has grown at least 3 times from last year and very quietly. ICL signing of popular Pak players at large prices is a very shrewd move. Imagine if Asif and Afridi join IPL, imagine what pressure PCB will ahve to recognise ICL and take its player back into national team
Karachi: Pakistan paceman Mohammad Asif, fighting to avert a doping ban in the Indian Premier League (IPL), is on the verge of joining the India Cricket League (ICL) after he was offered an irressitable sum of money by the unrecognised league. The 25-year-old paceman is due to appear before the IPL doping tribunal on November 29 and after the Pakistan Cricket Board turned a deaf ear to his request for legal support, the paceman is on the verge of signing the ICL. "I am frustrated," admitted Asif when contacted by cricketnirvana.com. "When no one is coming to my support I have no other option left to join the ICL for which other Pakistani players are also playing. My career has come to a halt and no one is bothering," said Asif. Lahore Badhshahs, a team compriised of Pakistan players, won the second edition of the ICL and is in the process of signing some more Pakistan players including Asif. Pakistan new coach Intikhab Alam last week said Asif is a match winner and he would love to see him back in the Pakistan team. source: http://www.cricketnirvana.com/news/international/2008/november/news-20081119-467.html
Don't know where we get these "samples" from! Glad that PCB didn't support him this time.
Good for Pakistan' date=' bad for ICL. ICL will have no moral ground if they pick Asif.[/quote'] Exactly. If they keep on feeding on the druggie left overs from ICC, they wont be left with any credibility. They have to have a policy on recruitment. Hiring disgraced players is not going to add to their reputation in any way.

Says a lot about Asif the person. He's made some ridiculous mistakes, had his **** saved more than once by the PCB's interventions - instead of turning things around and getting past the drugs, he's making the same mistakes again - and now turning his back on the PCB for not helping him and letting him think he can get away with damn near anything. Pathetic. I don't care how good a bowler he is, but I have absolutely zero regard for the man.