Let's groom some left handed batsmen

bunny

There was a column in cricinfo on how cricket has changed over the years. http://blogs.cricinfo.com/itfigures/archives/2008/11/a_summary_of_test_cricket_by_p.php#more Period R-Avg L-Avg T-Avg Pre-WW1 22.73 25.33 23.06 WW1-WW2 31.68 29.73 31.40 40s-50s 28.44 30.98 28.81 1960s 29.72 35.37 30.82 1970s 30.29 32.86 30.79 1980s 29.65 33.61 30.44 1990s 28.21 33.32 29.45 2000s 28.99 37.89 31.68 All Tests 28.77 34.19 29.92 The one common thing though was that left handed batsmen always average more than right handers. (I think he took all batsmen instead of the top 7 but still the difference is staggering). Right arm bowlers have always struggled to get LHB out especialy recently as one can see from the rise of Hussey, Chanderpaul, Sangakkara, Smith, Gambhir, Hayden, Mark Richardson and Vettori, and also the comeback of Ganguly in the last 4-5 years. (Of course all of these are talented cricketers and some even world class but just the way they have been outperforming their teammates makes one wonder). The one thing common among these LHB is that the more they are ready to grind it out the more bowlers struggle to get them out in tests. Also, left arm bowlers have done well against many of them. Keeping this in mind, and the fact that we will be losing some great batsmen soon we should be looking to groom LHB who can just grind it out in the middle (not the Yuvraj kinds although he might be able to exploit this as well).

Gambhir is the best (leftie) we got now for Tests. However he needs to make sure to not throw it away. In the past he used to throw it away after 25+ He curbed it recently. However today for example it resurfaced when he needlessly attacked the Pomz best bowler Flintoff in his very first over. As long as GG can curb his over-attacking he will be a good leftie for the team.

I dont rate Suresh Raina that much ... I think he could be a decent batsman but I dont see anything special in his batting style. However' date=' I didnt see anything special in Gambhir either and he has come good ... but who knows.[/quote'] Same here. Although I must confess that Gambhir is an excellent player against spin bowling. So he can always bat in the middle order if he is failing in the top order. I don't think Raina is even good at that. That's why I said we need more traditional lefties who can play the waiting game.
I dont rate Suresh Raina that much ... I think he could be a decent batsman but I dont see anything special in his batting style.
I share your opinion on Raina. I am also not sure if he is the answer to the left handed batsman question we are asking here. Raina doesn't play as many shots as Gambhir and it seems like he has a weaker temperament, especially against fast bowling. He has never made a good impression against decent fast bowling. I remember how Brett Lee harassed him in that Champions Trophy game at Mohali, Raina was struggling to get bat to ball and played out dot after dot - this was in the slog overs too. And yesterday we saw Flintoff and Broad give him a real solid working over - he was lucky to survive for as long as he did, never looked comfortable. Even at Rajkot, where he played a good innings, he still found it hard against Flintoff. He is still worth a place in the ODI XI though. After all, he treats spinners like dirt, he can slog medium pacers and when he gets going he can be as devastating as a Yuvraj or a Sehwag, but he still has a long way to go...
I saw a clip of this little genius on Aaj tak an year ago..was seen practising at Cape town.He's left handed with a nice backlift ala Lara !! If I'm right, his name was Arjun Tendulkar !
Yeh I think that was him, they showed on Star Plus too I met him when I saw Tendulkar at Lashings and he was a pretty good fielder too for his age

Abhinav Mukund is someone to watch out for.... I've seen this guy at the Vivekananda College nets when he was but a stripling... He has a good head on his shoulders, outstanding defensive technique and a strong off the back foot, the guy can cut & pull.... He is only 18 and just scored a triple this season.... He'll be the next southpaw to make it big in the Indian team is my prediction....