Bowling and Fielding coaches

fineleg

I guess Venkatesh Prasad has done a pretty good job. 7/10 or 8/10 for V.Prasad What abt the fielding coach? (Robin Singh??): In Tests, we are still dropping catches that we should be taking. ODIs - we are doing a better. How would you rate the fielding coach? Do we need any changes?

The coach doesn't go and field in the games. The players do. A lot of the new guys have been fielding well - and a few of the older guys now consider it a bigger part of the game - so thats good too. Test matches, a lot of catches were dropped - but mostly by the slip and keeper - so they need to improve there. Other than that, I'd say there has been a considerable improvement since RR Singh has come in - so he's doing a good job. Oh, and Venky deserves a 9.855 / 10 for his efforts - not 7 or 8.

Fielding standards are a hard thing to judge, especially whether they are improving or not. You can't blame a fielding coach if players drop sitters, but you can blame the coach if you see no noticeable improvement in the technique, i.e., usually bowlers have a bad catching technique, many of the seniors won't know how to dive and slide, and some players have a faulty technique at short-leg or silly mid off. If one can see improvements in these then we can give a thumbs up. I myself have seen visible improvements in only MSD. (Maybe others have also improved but went unnoticed). If we assume that Robin Singh was partly responsible for that I will give him a 5 otherwise I will give him a 3.

Fielding standards are a hard thing to judge, especially whether they are improving or not. You can't blame a fielding coach if players drop sitters, but you can blame the coach if you see no noticeable improvement in the technique, i.e., usually bowlers have a bad catching technique, many of the seniors won't know how to dive and slide, some players have a faulty technique at short-leg or silly mid off, and finally throwing hitting and accuracy at hitting the stumps. If one can see improvements in these then we can give a thumbs up. I myself have seen visible improvements in only MSD. (Maybe others have also improved but I didn't notice). If we assume that Robin Singh was partly responsible for that I will give him a 5 otherwise I will give him a 3. (Sorry for the duplicate post).

Fielding standards are a hard thing to judge, especially whether they are improving or not. You can't blame a fielding coach if players drop sitters, but you can blame the coach if you see no noticeable improvement in the technique, i.e., usually bowlers have a bad catching technique, many of the seniors won't know how to dive and slide, and some players have a faulty technique at short-leg or silly mid off. If one can see improvements in these then we can give a thumbs up. I myself have seen visible improvements in only MSD. (Maybe others have also improved but went unnoticed). If we assume that Robin Singh was partly responsible for that I will give him a 5 otherwise I will give him a 3.
Yes, good post and good call for Robin Singh

Our test match catching was quite superb before the recent Aus series. I was very surprised we dropped quite a few catches in the Aus series. SL series and before that too,, our slip catching (Sachin, Rahul, Laxman) was brilliant and was probably the best in the World (along with SA).

i watched the indian team practice before the one day match started at bangalore. the england team was already in the ground for more than 45 minutes and were going full throttle at the nets in the far side of the ground. the first indian who came on the ground was Venkatest prasad. he brought lot of stuff in a "coffin". he went to to inspect the pitch and was discussing with Ravi shastri and Ian Botham.after 15 minutes, Robin singh came with another 'coffin". shortly after, the physio came and set up some colourful cones in 2 sides of the arena. the indian nets were set up only after that. then the indian team to practice one by one.first set to come was Ishant with a new hair cut and Munaf. the boys were divided in 2 teams.Bhaji,Yuvi, Kohli,Sehwag, Sachin andZak were very enthusiastic in a game, where the physio slipped a cricket ball inside a "small net bag" and they kept throwing around. but right thro the game as well as the warm up runs and sprints prior to the game, Gambhir was not involved much. when the others were running 30 metres from point A to B, Gambhir started from around 10 metres mark and jogged slowly,stopped 10 metres before point B and slowly turned so that others overtook him again. may be he was running temperature/injured.then Yuvi, Sehwag and Dhoni hit the ball from nets to the other end of the ground while the bowlers generally bowled off a smaller run up. But the england players were practicing real seriously and bowlers were bowling at full throttle, Flintoff and pietersen carted the bowlers far and wide. The results are different but the fact remains that Our guys took the practice in a relaxed way.