Harbhajan Singh (bowling) under the scanner: a.k.a The Spin Crisis

fineleg

We CANT be competitive? Dude, we just won a series against Australia and are on the verge of another one against England. If this isnt competitive, I dont know what is. And whats with Vettori being the captain? Besides, its not as though he averaged 25 with the ball when he was non-captain anyway. The reason why Bhajji is so important is his attitude. Most of us here agree that the Indian teams of the past have been too feeble and Bhajji brings in that X-factor into our team, which is why we shouldnt merely quantify his contribution in numbers alone.
Sorry, I meant we cant be competitive team for a consistent period of time. Why don't we include Sreesanth afterall he's fearsome. He will also being that X-Factor into our team? Right?
Sorry' date=' I meant we cant be competitive team for a consistent period of time. Why don't we include Sreesanth afterall he's fearsome. He will also being that X-Factor into our team? Right?[/quote'] We dont have to, coz Sressanth's record as a fast bowler doesnt compare with his contemporaries, from his own team and from other teams. But, do this if you can. Make a list of all spin bowlers who have played international cricket in the last 15 months ( Panesar, Kaneria, Vettori, Kumble [lets add him too], Murali, Hogg, Krezja etc) and see their records. You will see that apart from Mendis and maybe to an extent Murali, Bhajji's record compares quite well with most other. Sreesanth's case is different. I can easily quote names of a dozen names who have better records than Sreesanth in the last 15 months from the top of my head ( Zak, Ishant, Lee, Steyn, Morkel, Johnson, Clark, Flintoff, Anderson, Sidebottom, Broad, Gul, Tanvir, Malinga etc)
What pertinent point. He has no doubt watched India once this year' date= his comments mean jack
dsr, it is a pertinent point that in Indian pitches, when wicket was needed captain confidently used to throw the ball to one Mr. Kumble and ask for a wicket. Now, MSD is increasingly turning to pace bowlers (even if they have already bowled long spells in harsh Indian conditions) when he is desperate for a wicket.
We dont have to, coz Sressanth's record as a fast bowler doesnt compare with his contemporaries, from his own team and from other teams. But, do this if you can. Make a list of all spin bowlers who have played international cricket in the last 15 months ( Panesar, Kaneria, Vettori, Kumble [lets add him too], Murali, Hogg, Krezja etc) and see their records. You will see that apart from Mendis and maybe to an extent Murali, Bhajji's record compares quite well with most other. Sreesanth's case is different. I can easily quote names of a dozen names who have better records than Sreesanth in the last 15 months from the top of my head ( Zak, Ishant, Lee, Steyn, Morkel, Johnson, Clark, Flintoff, Anderson, Sidebottom, Broad, Gul, Tanvir, Malinga etc)
I never referred to Sreesanths bowling abilities. I was referring to this fearsome attitude which you seem to relate Bhajji to. About the list, ofcourse Bhajji would lead the list, after all he has bowled 719 overs in the last 13 matches. http://stats.cricinfo.com/statsguru/engine/stats/index.html?bowling_pacespin=2;class=1;filter=advanced;orderby=wickets;spanmin1=17+Dec+2007;spanval1=span;template=results;type=bowling The next workhorse is vettori with 516 overs. Lemme ask you, if the likes of Panesar, Vettori, Kreza bowl that many overs barring the 2 test matches bhajji played at melbourne and perth, who would be a better bowler?
I never referred to Sreesanths bowling abilities. I was referring to this fearsome attitude which you seem to relate Bhajji to. About the list, ofcourse Bhajji would lead the list, after all he has bowled 719 overs in the last 13 matches. http://stats.cricinfo.com/statsguru/engine/stats/index.html?bowling_pacespin=2;class=1;filter=advanced;orderby=wickets;spanmin1=17+Dec+2007;spanval1=span;template=results;type=bowling The next workhorse is vettori with 516 overs. Lemme ask you, if the likes of Panesar, Vettori, Kreza bowl that many overs barring the 2 test matches bhajji played at melbourne and perth, who would be a better bowler?
And thats why they have something called the averages and Strike rate, for us to put things in perspective. Barring, Murali, Mendis and Vettori, all of Kumble, Panesar, Harris, Jeetan Patel, McGill, Hogg ( spinners who have played in the last 15 months) have an average and SR that’s worser than Bhajji’s Look, I am not saying Bhajji is the best spinner out there, far from it. But, combine his relatively decent bowling with the important runs he makes and the more important attitude and fighting spirit he brings to the team, I think its more than worth our time to have him in the eleven.
We want him in the 11, just want him also to improve and show more consistency MM. I dont think he needs to be out of the 11 (dunno if SachFan said that). I want him in the 11, and want him to show more consistency than currently.
:hysterical::hysterical::hysterical: Finey demanding better performance ...whats new ? I thought you were on a 7 day absence from this site after all your logic and calculations and knowledge of indian cricket history proved to be a jack **** ?

You thought wrong. Go re-read what I posted to h4te before. In anycase, asking for improved consistency from Harbhajan Singh sounds far fetched to you?? Anyone who knows cricket and saw him bowl at Chennai in not one, but both inn, will want him to improve consistency. Dont keep twisting this as "drop him from 11" - thats not what this is.

And thats why they have something called the averages and Strike rate, for us to put things in perspective. Barring, Murali, Mendis and Vettori, all of Kumble, Panesar, Harris, Jeetan Patel, McGill, Hogg ( spinners who have played in the last 15 months) have an average and SR that’s worser than Bhajji’s Look, I am not saying Bhajji is the best spinner out there, far from it. But, combine his relatively decent bowling with the important runs he makes and the more important attitude and fighting spirit he brings to the team, I think its more than worth our time to have him in the eleven.
I'm not denying that. But once ishant, and Zak start to struggle, then bhajjis mediocre bowling will be crap.
You thought wrong. Go re-read what I posted to h4te before. In anycase, asking for improved consistency from Harbhajan Singh sounds far fetched to you?? Anyone who knows cricket and saw him bowl at Chennai in not one, but both inn, will want him to improve consistency. Dont keep twisting this as "drop him from 11" - thats not what this is.
Write him a letter. He doesn't read these forums.
bhajji's runs in the 1st innings were invaluable.he is india's best spinner at the moment and i dont see anyody on the horizon who can match him.am i to assume there will be similar threads about him after the mohali test because mohali has not been a happy hunting ground for him?.
On the contrary there are lots of equal if not better spinners than him who have averaged better in the few matches they played but who have not been given extended runs. Looks like while we are expecting the best from our batsmen and pace bowlers, we are settling for mediocrity in the spin dept.
On the contrary there are lots of equal if not better spinners than him who have averaged better in the few matches they played but who have not been given extended runs. Looks like while we are expecting the best from our batsmen and pace bowlers, we are settling for mediocrity in the spin dept.
19 wickets and Man of the series in SA series in India. 16 wickets in 3 matches in SL. 15 wickets in 3 matches against Aus in India, with crucial top order wickets. Not to mention batting, with 2 VERY crucial 50s in India-Aus series...making him a serious contender for man of the series. Also note that now we have VERY good pace bowlers, so he has to compete with them for the scalps.