Well done Dravid

Mr. Wicket

He was playing for his place today and his SR reflects that.
At the end of it, he provided the team with stability, a good foundation after our most dangerous batsman got out for a duck, did a fine job in keeping out the bowlers in challenging conditions with the ball swinging and seaming initially and reversing a bit later. Along with Gambhir, a very valuable innings. Yes, it was slow, but it wasn't inappropriate for the situation (after all, Gambhir for long part of his innings had a s/r not that much higher - and even after accelerating a bit in the 90s, he still finished the day with a s/r in the 40s, despite his form and confidence right now). I won't complain about the strike rate as the innings was really what we needed in the conditions given the early wicket and the need to consolidate/build upon a 1-0 lead in the series. Well done - it must have been a hell of an effort to produce an innings like this under such pressure and concern over his place - and I hope he makes it a hundred tomorrow from which India can build a big total.

Dravid was never an out and out stroke player like Tendulkar, Sehwag or Lara ... so its not suprising that he is scoring slow. However the Dravid of old would continue through this and make a ton (and usually a big one) anyway ... Those people who were possibly expecting a trailblazing, dominant knock from Dravid obviously dont know Dravids style of batting.

Dravid was never an out and out stroke player like Tendulkar, Sehwag or Lara ... so its not suprising that he is scoring slow. However the Dravid of old would continue through this and make a ton (and usually a big one) anyway ... Those people who were possibly expecting a trailblazing, dominant knock from Dravid obviously dont know Dravids style of batting.
Career strike rate = 42 This innings strike rate = 31.7
He career SR is 40. For him to score at 31.xx is not unusual. Given the pitch conditions and ball swinging and also his own pressure of finding form and place in the team' date=' he did almost make it to his SR. Well, if he is lucky tommorow, he might accelerate to a SR of 40. So, it is a very good knock from him.[/quote'] No-ones denying that its a very good knock. Here's my post from earlier in the thread
Yep, a dravid hundred would be great, albeit boring. It'll ensure that we draw this test, win the series, and get some confidence into our 2nd/3rd best batsman(debatable) .

Let him get to his ton first playing his normal game...then he can be more positive. He needs to sheet anchor the stroke makers...his usual role...let him do it again and start to feel comfortable there. The batting line up will then be complete....complemented by both attacking and defensive minded players.

Dravid would sleep clamly tonight. he must have been going through a nightmare the past 3 days after chennai test. when ever india won in tests between 2001 to 2006, he had contributed immensely. so, it was rare to see an indian victory last week/ also against australia recently, with out a major contribution from Dravid.. may be this would restore his catching confidence and settle the world record with 3 catches in this test.

where r these folks who said these things about RD: 1.he is a nightwatchman:mad: 2.he is selfish:-! 3,him going is a good thing for us 4.sehwag is a better than rahul(even tho i'm a absolute fan of viru,to say he is better than rahul is idiotic) 5.he should retire as he is blocking a GENUINE no.3. come out,u people i said it earlier and will say it again ,RAHUL DRAVID SHOULD GO TO NEWZEALAND. i'm also suprised folks saying he batted slow.gambhir in form of his life,being an aggresive player batted at 40.we should give credit to swann who bowled fantastically without luck.others bowlers bowled negatively which didnt help the run rate

where r these folks who said these things about RD: 1.he is a nightwatchman:mad: 2.he is selfish:-! 3,him going is a good thing for us 4.sehwag is a better than rahul(even tho i'm a absolute fan of viru,to say he is better than rahul is idiotic) 5.he should retire as he is blocking a GENUINE no.3. come out,u people i said it earlier and will say it again ,RAHUL DRAVID SHOULD GO TO NEWZEALAND. i'm also suprised folks saying he batted slow.gambhir in form of his life,being an aggresive player batted at 40.we should give credit to swann who bowled fantastically without luck.others bowlers bowled negatively which didnt help the run rate
I guess you were not here during SRT's slump
Dravid can go to NZ or US or Europe.:--D how can any one stop him. of course there was a little matter of form and confidence which are extremely important and there were many ex.cricketers advising him rest/break. just imagine if he had failed, it would have been extremely difficult for him to be considered for NZ.Even Srikkanth would not have been able to convince the other selectors. he was literally on borrowed time.he had come good and so be happy!. as far as ICF fans asking him to be dropped, they were justified after chennai- for the team's sake as well as Dravid's sake.